Propane Mod - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-26-2009, 08:41 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Loose propane tanks can often be tamed by putting them in one of those plastic milk crates.

Steve, I was talking to a plumber one day, working on replacing a well pump, and asked him how he decided whether to use teflon pipe dope or tape -- No decision, he said, I use both!

Old 03-26-2009, 08:50 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
I am a retired Steamfitter, I was always told that pipe dope is just for lubrication so the threads tighten up to the taper and seal.

Bill K
Quote:
Steve, I was talking to a plumber one day, working on replacing a well pump, and asked him how he decided whether to use teflon pipe dope or tape -- No decision, he said, I use both!

Old 03-26-2009, 09:31 PM   #17

Name: George
Trailer: Waiting for the Sprinter van and designing the converion modules.
Oregon
I am in the midst of connecting BBQ and stove (Century) to factory mounted low pressure LP RV style quick connector (08 Bigfoot). From this connector I will tee off two hoses with LP low pressure quick connectors on each end. BBQ will have a ball valve and stove will be fed directly. All plumbing will cost me about $100 from http://www.mcmaster.com/# . I am going to use low pressure LPG approved components. Using ball valve to control the LPG flow to BBQ is still in question.

Even thou I did not measure pressure coming from LP bottle regulator for Century stove but is seems that there is only single stage pressure regulation, time will tell.

I am planning to live long and enjoy life to its max, including verboten LP installation.

George.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:52 PM   #18

Oregon
Thank you Steve L. for saving me some money. I was ready to push the order button for LPG plumbing from McMaster but before ordering decided to verify if my Century stove indeed can be fed by 0.5 PSI low pressure. So, I measured pressure coming out from the bottle pressure regulator and it was over 10 PSI (my pressure gauge maxed at 10 PSI). I think these stoves are designed to operate at much higher pressure then what’s available from my low pressure side.

Then I measured pressure on the outlet of the Kuuma BBQ pressure regulator and it was about 0.5 at High setting.

Thank you Steve, that is about $40 less in plumbing.

George.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:34 AM   #19

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
Glad it helped, George. I've learned so much from the forum it's good to have something to share back again.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:40 PM   #20

Name: Vic
Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Alberta
Registry
I actually run a BBQ from a rig on the side of my trailer that is intended for those disposable 1lb propane bottles. Instead of those, I installed a propane T between my propane tank and trailer regulator hose. This T takes a propane extension hose and connects directly to my BBQ with the same fitting as the 1lb propane bottles. Since it is on the high pressure side of the regulator, no issue. The restriction orifice in the BBQ regulatortakes care of it. I have seen hoses like this up to 20 feet long.

Vic
Attached Thumbnails
Propane_T.jpg  
Old 03-29-2009, 04:09 PM   #21

Oregon
Quote:
I actually run a BBQ from a rig on the side of my trailer that is intended for those disposable 1lb propane bottles. Instead of those, I installed a propane T between my propane tank and trailer regulator hose. This T takes a propane extension hose and connects directly to my BBQ with the same fitting as the 1lb propane bottles. Since it is on the high pressure side of the regulator, no issue. The restriction orifice in the BBQ regulatortakes care of it. I have seen hoses like this up to 20 feet long.
Vic
I think that connection on high pressure side is way easier than trying to utilize low pressure quick connector which if I remember correctly was an option on my Bigfoot.

It is way easier for my stove and but it is also easier to connect my Kuuma BBQ. Connecting low pressure directly to BBQ is bypassing the flame level control so I would need to substitute flame control by something such as ball or needle valve.

I will forgo this low pressure project in lieu for high pressure set-up as Victor's one. I will end-up with completely useless low pressure optional LPG nipple sticking from my Bigfoot. It will likely take RV industry some time to provide appliances for this type LPG outlet. I saw one BBQ in Camping World but it was expensive.

Thank you all for guidance,

George.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:08 AM   #22

Trailer: 73 Boler (modified)
Quote:
I am a retired Steamfitter, I was always told that pipe dope is just for lubrication so the threads tighten up to the taper and seal.

Bill K

I've got a couple current propane tickets, certified to fill both loose cylinders, and automotive apps, re-certify cylinders, and also install automotive fuel sustems and home heating and cooking systems. there is a pipe dope out there that is suitable for use on propane systems, but is widely shunned in the propane industry....earlier attempts at making this stuff have tended to fail the seal over time, most installers won't touch it, myself included. yellow teflon tape is the way to go for small fittings of this nature.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:27 AM   #23

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Victor, did you sneak down to my rec property between Rocky Mountain House and Sundre (where my trailer is at), and steal my connector. That is exactly what I made up.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:49 AM   #24

Trailer: 2007 Escape A 17 ft
I'm looking to set up a similar system to Victor and Jim. Would this adaptor (on eBay) be a good starting place?

http://tinyurl.com/d8vo3f

Thanks!
~Tim
Old 03-31-2009, 12:00 PM   #25

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Tim, I would say that is exactly the same thing, I just built mine from parts from a propane shop. I like the idea of a right angle instead of a tee, it would not stick as far straight out from the bottle.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:24 PM   #26

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
This last summer I added a setup similar to Victor's and love it. Mine actually "Y"'s so it takes up less space. The trailer hose going one way and the stove hose the other. The 15 foot hose gets the stove under the awning with ease. Now I feel more comfortable cooking in Bear country, that would be outside so there's no smell of food inside.
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:56 AM   #27

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Escape B
Where do you find the LOOOONG hoses that you guys are talking about??? I am in Vancouver (or near enough)

I think I will try and find the T we had or buy another one.
We had the quick connect nipple put on our new Escape and I fooled around all last weeeknd attempting to get it to work.
Went to Lordco and finally got an adaptor made so I could use my 8' hose and hook it up to the trailer.
The Coleman camp stove stayyed lit while I had the "clicker" on it. I "thought" the BBQ worked cause it started to heat up.
When it got dark I realized how puny the flame was.
SO basically the connector is useless to me. I didn't know about the high flow/low flow thing....
So I will use my three burner stove inside more often than I did in the Boler..... We don't BBQ that much, but I do have a coleman oven that I like to use and that is an outdoor thing over the camp stove.
Guess we will be using the little refillable containers--or we may get an adapter and a longer hose with a quick connect that we can take on/off the front tanks.
With the Boler we didn't have the auto change over and so just removed a tank every time we camped. I do want to get away from that exercise.....
Old 04-01-2009, 02:07 AM   #28

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I purchased my long hose at Camping World while traveling through Colorado.

Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane