Propane Mod - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2009, 03:09 PM   #21

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Quote:
I actually run a BBQ from a rig on the side of my trailer that is intended for those disposable 1lb propane bottles. Instead of those, I installed a propane T between my propane tank and trailer regulator hose. This T takes a propane extension hose and connects directly to my BBQ with the same fitting as the 1lb propane bottles. Since it is on the high pressure side of the regulator, no issue. The restriction orifice in the BBQ regulatortakes care of it. I have seen hoses like this up to 20 feet long.
Vic
I think that connection on high pressure side is way easier than trying to utilize low pressure quick connector which if I remember correctly was an option on my Bigfoot.

It is way easier for my stove and but it is also easier to connect my Kuuma BBQ. Connecting low pressure directly to BBQ is bypassing the flame level control so I would need to substitute flame control by something such as ball or needle valve.

I will forgo this low pressure project in lieu for high pressure set-up as Victor's one. I will end-up with completely useless low pressure optional LPG nipple sticking from my Bigfoot. It will likely take RV industry some time to provide appliances for this type LPG outlet. I saw one BBQ in Camping World but it was expensive.

Thank you all for guidance,

George.

GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:08 AM   #22

Trailer: 73 Boler (modified)
Quote:
I am a retired Steamfitter, I was always told that pipe dope is just for lubrication so the threads tighten up to the taper and seal.

Bill K

I've got a couple current propane tickets, certified to fill both loose cylinders, and automotive apps, re-certify cylinders, and also install automotive fuel sustems and home heating and cooking systems. there is a pipe dope out there that is suitable for use on propane systems, but is widely shunned in the propane industry....earlier attempts at making this stuff have tended to fail the seal over time, most installers won't touch it, myself included. yellow teflon tape is the way to go for small fittings of this nature.
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:27 AM   #23

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
I actually run a BBQ from a rig on the side of my trailer that is intended for those disposable 1lb propane bottles. Instead of those, I installed a propane T between my propane tank and trailer regulator hose. This T takes a propane extension hose and connects directly to my BBQ with the same fitting as the 1lb propane bottles. Since it is on the high pressure side of the regulator, no issue. The restriction orifice in the BBQ regulatortakes care of it. I have seen hoses like this up to 20 feet long.
Victor, did you sneak down to my rec property between Rocky Mountain House and Sundre (where my trailer is at), and steal my connector. That is exactly what I made up.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:49 AM   #24

Trailer: 2007 Escape A 17 ft
I'm looking to set up a similar system to Victor and Jim. Would this adaptor (on eBay) be a good starting place?

http://tinyurl.com/d8vo3f

Thanks!
~Tim
Tim Ryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:00 AM   #25

Registry
Tim, I would say that is exactly the same thing, I just built mine from parts from a propane shop. I like the idea of a right angle instead of a tee, it would not stick as far straight out from the bottle.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-31-2009, 09:24 PM   #26

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
This last summer I added a setup similar to Victor's and love it. Mine actually "Y"'s so it takes up less space. The trailer hose going one way and the stove hose the other. The 15 foot hose gets the stove under the awning with ease. Now I feel more comfortable cooking in Bear country, that would be outside so there's no smell of food inside.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:56 AM   #27

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Escape B
Where do you find the LOOOONG hoses that you guys are talking about??? I am in Vancouver (or near enough)

I think I will try and find the T we had or buy another one.
We had the quick connect nipple put on our new Escape and I fooled around all last weeeknd attempting to get it to work.
Went to Lordco and finally got an adaptor made so I could use my 8' hose and hook it up to the trailer.
The Coleman camp stove stayyed lit while I had the "clicker" on it. I "thought" the BBQ worked cause it started to heat up.
When it got dark I realized how puny the flame was.
SO basically the connector is useless to me. I didn't know about the high flow/low flow thing....
So I will use my three burner stove inside more often than I did in the Boler..... We don't BBQ that much, but I do have a coleman oven that I like to use and that is an outdoor thing over the camp stove.
Guess we will be using the little refillable containers--or we may get an adapter and a longer hose with a quick connect that we can take on/off the front tanks.
With the Boler we didn't have the auto change over and so just removed a tank every time we camped. I do want to get away from that exercise.....
Doug & Anna-Marie P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:07 AM   #28

I purchased my long hose at Camping World while traveling through Colorado.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 04-01-2009, 04:36 AM   #29

Registry
Quote:
Where do you find the LOOOONG hoses that you guys are talking about??? I am in Vancouver (or near enough)

I think I will try and find the T we had or buy another one.
We had the quick connect nipple put on our new Escape and I fooled around all last weeeknd attempting to get it to work.
Went to Lordco and finally got an adaptor made so I could use my 8' hose and hook it up to the trailer.
The Coleman camp stove stayyed lit while I had the "clicker" on it. I "thought" the BBQ worked cause it started to heat up.
When it got dark I realized how puny the flame was.
SO basically the connector is useless to me. I didn't know about the high flow/low flow thing....
So I will use my three burner stove inside more often than I did in the Boler..... We don't BBQ that much, but I do have a coleman oven that I like to use and that is an outdoor thing over the camp stove.
Guess we will be using the little refillable containers--or we may get an adapter and a longer hose with a quick connect that we can take on/off the front tanks.
With the Boler we didn't have the auto change over and so just removed a tank every time we camped. I do want to get away from that exercise.....
You can go to most BBQ stores and get a long hose.

To use your BBQ or Coleman stove on the 'regulated' propane quick connect that Escape installed, you need to remove the regulator from your stove and BBQ. This is not possible with all devices that are propane powered. With my Broil King Porta Chef I can just remove the hose c/w regulator, that came with it.

Otherwise, an adapter to the tanks as shown above is what you will need to use, and you will be off to the races.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:55 AM   #30

Trailer: 2007 Escape A 17 ft
Quote:
You can go to most BBQ stores and get a long hose.
Doug, echoing Jim's advice, I've been told that Johnstone's BBQ Parts in North Van is quite the mecca for the kind of parts we're hunting for. I hope to make it down there this weekend; if I do I'll report back.

Their website is http://www.johnstones.com/

~Tim
Tim Ryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:34 AM   #31

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Quote:
...... Mine actually "Y"'s so it takes up less space.........
Joy, where did you get “Y” adapter? I am going to RV Parts Outlet store to see this and this_item . I would like to have an extension hose(s) feeding with high pressure LPG my BBQ and stove. Will see what they have in store, fortunately they are local.

George.

GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:59 AM   #32

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Just to close the loop, here are the fittings installed on the trailer. Needed to change the hoses to make a smooth connection. All leak tested and ready to go.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Propane_Fitting2__Medium_.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	19483

Even with the 15' hose attached, the cover fits over everything. First test this May in Roy's Fish Fry in Indiana.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:33 AM   #33

George,

I purchased both the hose and adapter at Camping World. I happen to have purchased them separately at different times but they do carry them as a kit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	109_7607.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	19484

Attached Thumbnails
109_7616.JPG  
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 04-21-2010, 06:10 PM   #34

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Good Info! THX M8!
SITES- Forum - Gallery - Blog - Facebook
Aids10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:51 AM   #35

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
After a year I can say that I'm well pleased with my mod. Having two tanks, I wanted each tank to have it's own access. Others have suggested the Y route and that would work and be cheaper but I was trying for something that would fit under the tank cover. And of course I may have gone overboard a bit...
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane