Propane Tank Level Gauge -- Anyone know of a good one? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2014, 05:20 PM   #21

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
I always just leave one tank closed. If It runs out I open the other and fill the first.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:40 PM   #22

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Having two tanks helps, yes. Not everyone has two though.

I use Jons method, and the palm of my hand. You can feel the temperature change by palming the side of the tank and running it down until you feel the temp change to MUCH colder.

It doesn't need to be overly accurate, but it does give you an idea on where your liquid level is.

I have the pour the hot water thingy stuck on mine too, but I generally have only used it when the outside temp is so low that it's hard to feel the difference on the tank. The smell method is a giveaway that I have maybe 2 days of normal use left.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:21 PM   #23

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
Propane tank level gauge

...To me, I rarely use propane tank at all, so it wouldn't bother me that much for this issue. That's why I installed the gauge which was bought from Cosco. I believe ab 10 bucks. To go in depth, it sounds like no gauge in the present market in which indicates how much propane is in the tank, accurately. IMO, if I want that due to frequently use, I would make myself an indicator. Here is what I would do: when the tank is empty, drill a hole in the tank, thread it to install a pressure gauge. After that, fill the tank to full, the gauge will indicate at certain scale, mark it with permanent marker. From now on, I would know exactly what level of propane in the tank at any given time...Just my thought....
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:33 PM   #24

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Camping Mama said "tanks" (plural) in her original post. I have two tanks, and the double tank regulator shows me when the primary supply is empty, and it switches to the backup seamlessly. Then I move the lever to the other side and replace the empty one. The fresh one becomes the backup. It seem to be working well. Since it is possible to go quite a while on one tank, there is plenty of opportunity to check the indicator. I am quite happy with this system.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:38 PM   #25

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinh View Post
...To me, I rarely use propane tank at all, so it wouldn't bother me that much for this issue. That's why I installed the gauge which was bought from Cosco. I believe ab 10 bucks. To go in depth, it sounds like no gauge in the present market in which indicates how much propane is in the tank, accurately. IMO, if I want that due to frequently use, I would make myself an indicator. Here is what I would do: when the tank is empty, drill a hole in the tank, thread it to install a pressure gauge. After that, fill the tank to full, the gauge will indicate at certain scale, mark it with permanent marker. From now on, I would know exactly what level of propane in the tank at any given time...Just my thought....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Lp tanks are pressure vessels and you don't want to start drilling your own holes in them. If you do so I doubt if anyone will fill them.

and

Lp gas maintains an almost constant gas pressure, regardless of volume remaining, this is why they tend to drop suddenly just before being empty.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:43 PM   #26

Ontario
For 2 tanks or double tank, this is what I would do: Using tee fitting, parallel hook up both tanks without any valve before tee fitting, install indicator after T fitting. The valve will be installed after T fitting. When in use, first open the valve then open one tank until this tank is empty. Next open the second tank until it is empty. That way, you would know both tanks are empty. Fill them up both at the same time. This way you could avoid complication of double tank hook up and still know when will be the time to fill them up. Just my thought, theory though...
Old 04-18-2014, 08:50 PM   #27

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Lp tanks are pressure vessels and you don't want to start drilling your own holes in them. If you do so I doubt if anyone will fill them.

and

Lp gas maintains an almost constant gas pressure, regardless of volume remaining, this is why they tend to drop suddenly just before being empty.
...This is what I learn thru: discussion. BTW, that's just my thought, in theory, not practical. But if an indicator of propane tank is made, one could apply similar principle to utilze it, not necessary as pressure like I thought....Just an input...
Old 04-18-2014, 08:58 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I saw an announcement for a hand held electronic "wand" about a year ago that could be used to detect the level of propane in a tank, but never heard anything more about it.

I checked Amazon, and they list two devices:
GasCheck Propane Tank Liquid Level Indicator
and
Propane GasGenie® - Electronic Propane Gauge & BBQ Propane Level Indicator

No idea if either is worth the $...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:03 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Gotta find your humour where you can.
Interesting that people bought these three items.
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2014, 09:20 PM   #30

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post
I second that. I had two of these, and plan to eBay them. Anyone want to buy them?

I was unable to use my full tank to run my furnace. It would act like it was empty when there was still 8 lbs or more of propane in the tank.
Thats intreating as well. My furnace doesnt seem to have any issues with it on. What furnace are you running? wondering if the regulator on your tanks is perhaps set a bit lower than the on mine.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 04:32 AM   #31
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
The pressure in the tank varies with temperature making any type of pressure gauge useless (ideal gas law?). I've used the "hot water down the side and feel the temperature" trick as a rough guide. When I think it's getting low, I look for a Tractor supply with a propane station. They meter the propane and their prices are reasonable. Raz

Propane Tank Refills at Tractor Supply Co.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:07 AM   #32

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
We have tried pretty much every device and method available and found only two which are pretty reliable....
1] Buy a tank with an internal float gauge. These are fairly accurate and the ones I have seen usually have a little reserve when they reach empty.
the drawback with this choice is that you can't do exchange.

2] Remove the tank before a trip and weigh it on a bathroom scale.
18 pounds is empty,38 pounds is full. Estimate the need for the trip and switch tanks if necessary before leaving.

Using the weighing method requires the purchase of a second tank to get full use of the propane. We have a grill at home on which we use only "near empty" tanks. This second tank can be filled before a trip if there is not adequate supply in the trailer tank.
I vote this as the best answer. The bathroom scale works great. If it's too much trouble to take out the tank for weighing, get a tank with internal float gauge. I bought such a tank last October at Sam's Club (less than $40 IIRC) and I expect I'll enjoy using it this summer.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:53 AM   #33

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Keep in mind that the "Exchange Tank" system is about the most expensive way to buy LP gas. I have seen it as much as 3X propane dealer price.

I'll stick with the Stick-on strip and hot water, about $3, works every time.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:47 AM   #34

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
I keep a few one pound green propane bottles to run the weber grill and have an adapter that let's them be connected to the furnace propane line.

When the 20# runs out I can run the furnace approx one night on a one pound bottle. And I know it's time to refill the 20#.
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:08 AM   #35

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDenny View Post
I keep a few one pound green propane bottles to run the weber grill and have an adapter that let's them be connected to the furnace propane line.

When the 20# runs out I can run the furnace approx one night on a one pound bottle. And I know it's time to refill the 20#.
Do you have any info on the adaptor for the 1 lb tank to the furnace line?
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:25 AM   #36

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Dave & Paula
I have one as well, - it allows me to switch from using a large 20lb tank to the small green disposable tanks for the portable stove or BQ if need be. Sorry no picture of it but i picked it up at a local hardware store. Should be pretty easy to find one at any shop that sells BQ's.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:15 PM   #37

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina D. View Post
Having two tanks helps, yes. Not everyone has two though.

I use Jons method, and the palm of my hand. You can feel the temperature change by palming the side of the tank and running it down until you feel the temp change to MUCH colder.

It doesn't need to be overly accurate, but it does give you an idea on where your liquid level is.

I have the pour the hot water thingy stuck on mine too, but I generally have only used it when the outside temp is so low that it's hard to feel the difference on the tank. The smell method is a giveaway that I have maybe 2 days of normal use left.
My bad. I was assuming we were talking about two tanks.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:19 PM   #38

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post

Dave & Paula

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00480BWA0
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 04:53 PM   #39

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Thank you..... just ordered it.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 05:14 PM   #40

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
papa..you aint bad! The OP does have two tanks.

You may be Bad in a Good way though!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane