Propane Tank Level Gauge -- Anyone know of a good one? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2014, 08:07 AM   #41

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm not being a Chicken Little, but want to caution folks that use a steak saver to refill the small green bottles from a 20# tank. The little bottles are not designed to be refilled. Remember, just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

I have friends that almost lost their monster 5th wheel due to a refilled cannister that was in the basement of their 5er. If you do this, be very careful where you "store" the refilled cannister. I'd suggest outside!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:39 AM   #42

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm not being a Chicken Little, but want to caution folks that use a steak saver to refill the small green bottles from a 20# tank. The little bottles are not designed to be refilled. Remember, just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

I have friends that almost lost their monster 5th wheel due to a refilled cannister that was in the basement of their 5er. If you do this, be very careful where you "store" the refilled cannister. I'd suggest outside!
Some time ago someone reported that they kept refilled one pound cylinders in their square tube bumper! Whether prudent or not, it sure made for some hilarious mental images!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:27 AM   #43

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina D. View Post
papa..you aint bad! The OP does have two tanks.

You may be Bad in a Good way though!
LOL thanks.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:50 AM   #44

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Refilling the disposable tanks. As I remember, there is a DOT warning on the tanks about not transporting a refilled tank. Could lead to a big legal problem should something bad happen with a refilled tank while being transported.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:07 AM   #45

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
I know people do refill these 1 lb tanks, but the adapter Denny wrote about was one that you connect a 1 lb bottle to your trailer, to use in place of you 20 lb ect tank, as a back-up, should you run out of propane. A neat idea that will allow me to comfortably use up ALL the propane between fill-ups.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:27 PM   #46

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Refilling 1 lb lp bottles

As I recall the, DOT warning states that it is illegal to transport refilled 1 lb containers across state lines.

Instructions with the adaptors also usually state to "Invert" the donor bottle when transferring to the empty container, not to easy on most RV's. And, there is no airbleed on the 1 lbs tanks to tell you if and when it is full.

and

Going back to the pressure state in a low donor tank, it will only transfer gas until the two tanks are at equal pressure. Think of trying to fill a bicycle tire to 50 PSI with a car tire that only has 36 psi of pressure.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:13 PM   #47

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
Sorry drag the Costco tanks up again but the 20lb for my grill came from there and has a gauge. It just clips on next to the valve on top and appears to have a magnet on it. Also it seams to be accurate if not reading empty when there is still a decent reserve left.

I will caution people - I caught that tank leaking around the threads where the valve screws into the tank. As such I started trading in the tank every couple years and refilling between trades. And checking with soapy water monthly, of course.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:55 PM   #48

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
I've been following this one..
I have propane gauges (4) that threads in to tank between it and regulator. The Suburban propane heater stopped working with them attached... so I used a lot of electricity this winter. "I forgot to check if it was reason heater didn't fire up" I have one on each propane tank and I swapped out tanks in Nov.- Dec. With them the cooking burners don't have as high flames and have little incomplete burning (yellow flame)
Note: Gas grill vs. Turkey/fish fryer, gas grill may be able too finish with 1 lb propane not likely with a fryer.
How many here are using/have the composite propane tank (s) I thought there was a recall on them?
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:31 PM   #49

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Only Lite Cylinder. Other manufacturers have product lines currently approved by USDOT.
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:05 PM   #50

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I have friends that almost lost their monster 5th wheel due to a refilled canister that was in the basement of their 5er. If you do this, be very careful where you "store" the refilled cannister. I'd suggest outside!
Good caution, Donna. Every time I see a post about a beautiful looking storage box on the trailer tongue that covers the ugly gas bottle(s), I think - did (s)he provide enough venting? Gas is the best, most convenient and second cleanest, but don't do crazy things with it, think!
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:33 PM   #51

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
I purchased a couple of the Costco 20lb empty bottles with internal float type gauges. They were about $28.00 each, so not too bad cost-wise. The gauges are accurate enough to get a general idea of the fuel level. (similar to a fuel gauge in your car). My old tanks were needing painting anyway, so it made sense.
The drawback to these tanks and the see through fiberglass ones is you wouldn't want to trade them in at the exchange dealers. I have been caught in that predicament before where there were no re fillers in the area.
As to the comments regarding safe storage of the one pound bottles, I have found them to leak after dis-connecting an appliance. The valves are not designed for durability and can seep. I have experienced this on several occasions where I could hear hissing or could smell the gas leaking from the valve. Most times the leaking bottle could be put back on your garage shelf or in any open air spot and hiss away until the bottle emptied with no bad consequences. If the bottle was in a spot where the gas could collect then ignite it could spell disaster. If you have a leaking valve you can re-attach the bottle to the appliance, turn it on and back off, then remove it and see if it is sealed. Most times it will re-seal by doing that.
I don't go so far as to soap suds test these, just listen up close and use my nose.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:41 PM   #52

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Manchester makes a tank with a float gauge:
Manchester Tank: SureFlame Cylinder

Available at:
Ace Hardware
Cabela's