Proper Leash Length? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2013, 02:45 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
Proper Leash Length?

I just received my new 7-way plug and inline trailer cord for my '93 13ft. Scamp (only using 5 of seven wires at present).

My question is this: At the hitch (outboard) end, how much slack do I need to leave at the hitch? Presently I have about 1.5-2 ft of extra cable that extends beyond the hitch. Is this sufficient? Too much? Is there a rule of thumb that I should know about?

Thanks.
DaMScampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:50 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMScampers View Post
Is there a rule of thumb that I should know about?
Figure out which side of your hitch the umbilical cable plugs into and near-jackknife your trailer in the opposite direction. For example, on my Honda Odyssey the 7-blade receptacle is on the left side of the hitch receiver. That means I would hitch up my Fiber Stream trailer and try to jackknife to the right. The cord should be under the most extension, but not taught or in danger of being yanked out of the connection.

Quote:
Presently I have about 1.5-2 ft of extra cable that extends beyond the hitch.
My Fiber Stream's cable extends 30 inches beyond the coupler.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:12 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I have a longer stinger than most because I have a full door on the back of the canopy on my truck. The 7-pin wiring on my Scamp is matched to the chains on my truck. If the hitch should let go, the embilacle is pulled from the truck and the trailer breaks are applied. Nothing drags on the ground and NOTHING is wrapped around or attached anywhere except from trailer to tow.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:20 PM   #4

Michigan
Quick follow up question: Quick - very important - question. Do the side lights on the trailer - amber and red - blink with the other turn signals or are they constant running/marker lights?
Old 09-23-2013, 05:21 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Quick follow up question: Quick - very important - question. Do the side lights on the trailer - amber and red - blink with the other turn signals or are they constant running/marker lights?
The side lights are wired with the tail running light - always on.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #6

Michigan
Thanks Thomas. That is how I'm planning to wire it but I wanted to make sure! Now a follow up question. Is the wire marked as 'marker' indeed the constant wire for the running lights?
Old 09-23-2013, 05:43 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Thanks Thomas. That is how I'm planning to wire it but I wanted to make sure! Now a follow up question. Is the wire marked as 'marker' indeed the constant wire for the running lights?
I don't know. I'd suggest using a test light or multimeter to identify it.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #8

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Quote:
The running light lead is referred to as marker in some markets but test light verification is always good. Trust but verify!
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote