Propex HS2800 Heater Install - Trillium - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-03-2016, 07:14 PM   #15

Name: Vince
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
Hi Vince, yes I have a Nova Kool R1900 fridge. I installed a relatively big solar panel set up (270 watts) last year. This year I did a 6 volt battery conversion with 2 Interstate batteries. They are rated at 232ah. As long as there is some sun I should be good for a few days.

I do have a carbon monoxide detector, smoke detector and propane detector. I wanted to be overly safe with the 2 small kids in the trailer.
It sounds like a very nice setup. With the solar panels I think you'll be good for more than just a few days.

I'm a bit envious of your heater but don't regret getting rid of our 42 year old gravity furnace. Our sleeping bags keep us toasty warm at night but they don't get rid of the condensation.

Old 07-21-2016, 04:40 PM   #16

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Fresh air intake and exhaust
Nice.. I never got a furnace in my Scamp 16 and am considering the ProPex units.. I have some room in the port side dinette seat but a surge protector, fuse block and the converter are in that space. Is it safe for them to be in the same area?

There is also some other stuff that might get in the way under the floor including the gray water tank but if there is room I guess I could do an under floor install. However I like the idea of protecting the unit from road debris. Which ProPex model would you suggest for a Scamp 16 that is not often used in sub-freezing weather?

Is the objective of the piping only to separate the intake and exhaust ports? Could you just use a short stub for the intake as long as the exhaust was far enough away? How far would that be?

Do the intake and exhaust need to be routed through the floor or can at least one go through the body side?

Have I asked too many questions? I guess if I am serious I need to start reading the install manual.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:51 PM   #17

Name: Clayton
Trailer: 1975 Trillium
Alberta
Registry
Hi Gordon, my Propex heater has been the best mod I have done to my Trillium. The electronic thermostat works amazing through the night. It would be awesome in your Scamp 16. The only stipulation on mounting the heater is that you must have 1" clearance on all sides (keep in mind the there is the LP connection and electrical connection). I got the HS2800 unit (9500 BTU). Most other members that have a Propex heater have gone with the smaller HS2000 model (6000 BTU). We have 2 small kids and often camp at below freezing temperatures. I think the HS2800 would be perfect for your Scamp. You must attach both the fresh air intake and exhaust tubes through the bottom of the floor. The manual says you must have a minimum distance of half a metre between the intake and exhaust. Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 10-06-2016, 08:25 AM   #18

North Carolina
Quote:
Heater mounted under the curb side dinette.
The curb side dinette in my Scamp has the water tank, but the port side has room (I think). But then it would be right under my ears and only a foot away when I am sleeping. How would the noise be in this config?

(I must sleep facing the door )
Old 10-06-2016, 11:18 AM   #19

Alberta
Registry
Hahaha. I'm like you, I must face the door as well. I wouldn't recommend having the heater right under your head. The unit doesn't make excessive noise (similar to a small hair dryer) but might be a bit of an issue directly under your ears.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:41 AM   #20

North Carolina
Thats what I expected... but I had to ask since other than that issue it is a good place to put it.

thanks
Old 10-06-2016, 01:32 PM   #21

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trails West CampMite Campster
Washington
I hope to put one in my Campster within a couple of years.

If you go to the marine supply stores they sell sound deadening insulation made for engine compartments. It is also flame resistant which is not a bad idea for putting in a furnace compartment. But it is pricey and it is heavy. However with a one inch clearance requirement that means you won't need all that much of it to box in a furnace compartment. Remember where there is a need there is likely a product solution for sale.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:29 AM   #22

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
I love this idea!

Where does your exhaust terminate?
Do you run the exhaust away from the camper?
Old 10-08-2016, 08:01 AM   #23

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markz View Post
I love this idea!

Where does your exhaust terminate?
Do you run the exhaust away from the camper?
You might want to read Best furnace?, esp. this specific post in that thread: Best furnace?
Old 10-17-2016, 04:12 PM   #24

Name: kevin
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Colorado
"So after contemplating getting a new heater for over a year I finally did it. I purchased a Propex HS2800 heater this spring and installed it a few weeks ago. After reading all the threads from FG owners on their Propex heaters I decided to go with the HS2800 which is the bigger 9500 BTU unit. My decision was based on having 2 small kids and often camping when the overnight temperature is in the 0 to -5 Celsius range"

I installed the Propex HS2211 in the same place in my 13' Scamp. That thing is LOUD LOUD LOUD. It might be quieter than the furnace that comes with the Scamp, but not so much that it is worth the upgrade. It is all fan noise and the noise comes out both the intake and output (hot air) vents. I am working on a muffler to muffle the noise. Sufficient power, I would NOT go with the larger furnace. In the teens we were able to keep the camper nice and toasty (with reflectix panels over the windows of course) and one night at -12 Faranheit it kept us at about 50 degrees and ran all night. Which was actually better because it is the cycling that keeps me awake.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:27 PM   #25

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinScamps View Post
I installed the Propex HS2211 in the same place in my 13' Scamp. That thing is LOUD LOUD LOUD. It might be quieter than the furnace that comes with the Scamp, but not so much that it is worth the upgrade. It is all fan noise and the noise comes out both the intake and output (hot air) vents. ...
Did you use ducting or just have the vents with no added ducts? I understand that having the right length of ducting makes a big difference in the noise level.

Before you get in too deep you might want to talk to Karl. He is quite knowledgeable and helpful with ProPex heaters.

Karl Mullendore
USA distributor of Propex Heatsource
Westy Ventures /* Home
Phone 541.306.3959
Old 10-18-2016, 12:08 AM   #26

Alberta
Registry
Kevin,

You might want to check the installation of your heater. Like I said, the sound of the heater is like a small hair dryer, not enough to keep you awake at night or annoying. The larger BTU size was actually recommend by Propex UK after talking to them directly about the application. I would buy the exact same heater again.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 10-18-2016, 12:48 PM   #27

Name: kevin
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Colorado
hair dryer

Hair dryer, jet engine, same thing, it is more than enough to wake me up with ear plugs. BTW it is much quieter than a hair dryer, those things really scream. You can comfortably talk over the furnace fan. The problem with camping is that there is not any background noise, so it seems louder than it is. A noise maker might be an option to keep the ambient noise up a little bit.

I am mostly just frustrated with how loud the fan is because I spent a lot of money and effort trying to find the quietest heater option I could after my wife decided that the Wave 3 catalytic heater I had previously was a fire hazard for the more clumsy among us. If Propex would just put a lower power fan or turn it down a hair, this thing could be awesome, because you can't hear the actual furnace at all. In such a small space the fan is totally overkill. I would turn down the 12 V a bit to run it lower, but it has its own regulated supply, so that wouldn't make a difference and could even trip the low battery voltage prematurely.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:33 PM   #28

Alberta
Registry
Fair enough. I am interested if you do any modifications to the fan. Let me know if you come up with something

Tags
trillium