Proud new owners of 19' Scamp with questions about refrigerator - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-04-2013, 12:45 AM   #15

Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Oregon
Registry
First, congrats on getting a fiberglass trailer!

My wife and I also have a Scamp 5er with the side shower/toilet, but our "standard" Scamp came with a 4.6 cubic foot 'fridge, located next to the doorway across from the privacy/toilet room. We've made some pretty extensive changes to it that really help -- or, at least, really help us -- use it for extended periods of time.

We also use a lot of fresh ingredients, and found the 4.6 works quite well for extended dry camping, if you use a pretty simple organizational trick. What we did was get four shoe-box-like storage containers with squared-off sides and use them as refrigerator drawers. They fit pretty snugly on the bottom shelf, encroaching somewhat into the milk-jug cut out, and fit well on the next shelf up once I'd taken a hot-knife to the plastic to carve out a spot where the drip-tray is at the back of the 'fridge.

This leaves the milk-jug area free for a 1/2 gallon jug of milk, and the top shelf free for stuff that doesn't fit in the drawers, like Celery. We use one drawer for fruit, another for vegetables, one for meats, and the last for dairy and anything else that needs a home. Freezer gets used for meats and frozen vegetables. Works pretty well . . . and the drawers help keep the cold in when you open the door.

The thing about using the closet space next to the door is you loose all that storage space, including all your hang space. If you're already planning to do major modifications, you might consider doing something like our loft re-design.

We took out the "sofa" at the front of the trailer (which really isn't very good at being a sofa), and extended our loft platform so we could have a front-to-back queen-size bed (no crawling over each other when we get in and out of bed) with a chest of drawers, a hang-space closet, and various storage spaces built around the extended platform.

It's a big project, no doubt. If you like the idea and you're up for the challenge, though, I did a write-up on how I did it here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	07Sep Loft 640x480.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	65235

Name:	08Apr01 Pic of Closet from Loft 640x480.jpg
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	65233

Name:	Loft Remodel Floorplan.gif
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	65234

Old 10-08-2013, 10:06 PM   #16

Name: Crissy
Trailer: 1986 Scamp 19'
Wyoming
7 day remodel begins. We started ripping the carpet and bathroom out today and we have one week to finish the project and move in.

Bathroom is removed, toilet and shower are out! The toilet is available in Dallas if any Scamp owners want it.

The new bigger fridge is going to go where the old fridge was. I think we will get the same fridge that is sold in the Deluxe.

PeterH, thanks for the great ideas. Your camper looks great. I think we are going to keep the couch for now and possibly add a table at the end of the cabinet where the bathroom was that someone sitting at the couch can use. With the bathroom completely removed the couch is actually kind of nice.

Guitfiddle, we agree with you completely. We live in the west and we always seem to find great camping spots with everything we need. We hesitated to remove the bathroom but now that it is out we are very happy with the extra space and the opened up feeling.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:45 AM   #17

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crissy View Post
7 day remodel begins. We started ripping the carpet and bathroom out today and we have one week to finish the project and move in.

Bathroom is removed, toilet and shower are out! The toilet is available in Dallas if any Scamp owners want it.

The new bigger fridge is going to go where the old fridge was. I think we will get the same fridge that is sold in the Deluxe.

Please take some photos of this renovation, we'd love to follow your progress with pictures too!
Old 10-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #18

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crissy View Post
We are glorified tent campers and in the case where we would be doing any serious boondocking away from public restrooms we would rather use a "groover" setup, and not deal with the mess and stink inside our little house.
I had to look that up...

Solid Waste Management
Old 10-12-2013, 11:49 AM   #19

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Thanks Frederick... was also wondering what the heck that was! LOL had no idea it was called such.

Re the loss of resale value removing bathrooms from a trailer. I admit I am one that wouldn't purchase a trailer without its own facilities as I do like the flexibility of being able to camp where ever I wish. Also camp off season and had a situation come up just last week at a Washington State park where the ranger station was open only a couple of hours a day and didnt open until 9AM. In order to use the campground showers one needs to buy special tokens - although some of us had them from previous trips to that park the ones we had didnt work as they had since been changed..... 4 trailers and all of us ended up having to use the showers in our trailers. Was actually the first time in a year that one of the parties had used their in trailer shower but they were very pleased to have it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:37 AM   #20

Name: Crissy
Trailer: 1986 Scamp 19'
Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
Please take some photos of this renovation, we'd love to follow your progress with pictures too!
We are about 3/4 of the way through the remodel. My husband started an account and you can follow the remodel and see a lot of pictures here:

Scamp 19 full remodel with lots of pictures

Tags
refrigerator, scamp