Proud new owners of 19' Scamp with questions about refrigerator - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-01-2013, 07:24 PM   #1

Name: Crissy
Trailer: 1986 Scamp 19'
Wyoming
Proud new owners of 19' Scamp with questions about refrigerator

We are the new owners of a 1986 Scamp 19'. It came with layout 8, with the couch and very small side room with toilet and shower. It is all original and in good shape, but we plan on doing some renovation before we move in. Our intention is to full time in it for the next 6 months and then bring it home and use it for camping trips.

We won't have sewer hookups but we will have access to a shower/bathroom facility where we will be staying. Also the refrigerator that it has now is not nearly big enough for us to live out of. So we plan on removing the shower/toilet and associated walls, and in it's place install a larger refrigerator.

What is the largest refrigerator that will fit through the door? We see Scamp sells the Dometic RM2610 6 cubic foot refrigerator for the 19' deluxe model, which we found for $425 here. But we would like to find an even larger one if possible/advisable.

Thanks for any advice!

Old 10-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #2

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Before you limit yourself to what fits through the door, see if the dinette floor is solid around the water tank and rear windows. It's no uncommon for it to need to be replaced. I say this because a bigger fridge will fit through the floor area back there. Of course, if it fails later...

Old 10-02-2013, 08:26 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot, Trillium, Scamp 5th Wheel
Spokane Wa. and Las Vegas, Nv.
Registry
The bathroom toilet/shower is a very sought after feature. You will greatly harm the resale value of the Scamp if you remove it. For a permanent fix I would seriously look at some of the upper bed modifications on this site where a closet is installed next to the bathroom. That way you can install a fridge in the old closet. Or for a temp fix try installing a 110 fridge in the closet. That way you won't have to cut new vent holes or run propane lines.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #4

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Congrats on the purchase Crissy and welcome to the forum.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:37 PM   #5

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
I might be so bold as to suggest that you do not install a larger refrigerator. There are ways to live with the small refrigerator in fact there are ways to live without a refrigerator. Our ancestors did it for all their lives.
If you want to lean how to live without a refrigerator it's a lot easier today than it was for great grandpa and great grandma. Head for backkpacking stores and get backpacking cook books. Lots of good ideas in those.
Look in your local grocery store for things that don't need refrigeration, thing like Uncle Ben's rice in a bag, add a can of meat and you've got a nice meal for two.
Pancakes mix doesn't require refrigeration and Krustie's requires only water.
That's just a very small start.
We live for 6 months in our 13' Scamp and it's little fridge when has a lot of stuff that doesn't require refrigeration in it, including mike in small cartons that doesn't require refrigeration.

EDIT -- If a food package has only microwave instructions the insides will heat up nicely in a pan on the stove.

FYI.. As far as I can tell the home refrigerator didn't come into play until after 1910.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:35 PM   #6

Name: Crissy
Trailer: 1986 Scamp 19'
Wyoming
Thanks for the advice everyone.

We do have some experience full timing in a very small trailer last winter. We had a small refrigerator and it was a major inconvenience. We like to eat healthy fresh food and it seemed like we were running to town almost every day to keep stocked up. Of course we did all the tricks to minimize space to make it work, but we have just decided that a nice big refrigerator is one of the "must haves" in our new camper.

We also understand that we will be hurting the resale value by removing the toilet and shower, and we are torn as to what to do about it. We simply won't be using the shower or toilet for the next 6 months while we are living in it, because we don't have sewer hookups and don't want to be moving it every few days to dump the tanks. We also don't see ourselves ever using the toilet or shower in the future when we use the camper for more traditional weekend camping trips. We are glorified tent campers and in the case where we would be doing any serious boondocking away from public restrooms we would rather use a "groover" setup, and not deal with the mess and stink inside our little house.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #7

Name: Shirley
Trailer: Casita patriot
Colorado
You sound determined to put in a larger fridge, but if not, let me suggest one of the 5-7 day coolers. Mine is a Rubbermaid and it works wonderfully. I didn't want to worry about leveling and all the concerns that come with a camper refrigerator so I use the fridge for my dry storage and the cooler for my cold things. I was a tent camper before, so this is not an inconvenience for me. Just a thought.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot, Trillium, Scamp 5th Wheel
Spokane Wa. and Las Vegas, Nv.
Registry
It's your camper and you need it right for you and only you. It's not like you are destroying a brand new rig so fix it like you want it. I would save all the parts though in case you do want to sell it one day.
Good Luck!!
Old 10-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #9

Name: Keith
Trailer: Scamp 19' 5th wheel
Michigan
If you expect to have mains power available, get a regular refrigerator. It sounds like you will be in 1 spot for a long time so don't worry too much about the drive there. You can of course chill it way down before you leave home and put some dry ice in the freezer (on top of some closed cell foam) to help with the road trip. Then go shopping when you get there and stock up. regular refrigerators are much cheaper than RV refrigerators and I think a compressor type refrigerator is a lot more efficient.

If you can afford to spend a bit of money, look at the custom off grid high efficiency refrigerators like here Sun Frost energy efficient refrigerators
These are the usual choices for people living off grid who do not want to spend a fortune on propane to provide for refrigeration needs.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #10

Name: Derek
Trailer: In the market
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirleyA View Post
You sound determined to put in a larger fridge, but if not, let me suggest one of the 5-7 day coolers. Mine is a Rubbermaid and it works wonderfully. I didn't want to worry about leveling and all the concerns that come with a camper refrigerator so I use the fridge for my dry storage and the cooler for my cold things. I was a tent camper before, so this is not an inconvenience for me. Just a thought.
With space at such a premium is any and all trailers, I personally find all the bathroom features a deal breaker. Most places I go, have rest room facilities and who wants to carry around their grey water and waste? No thanks. I totally get the idea of preferring refrigeration at the expense of the lav. Having just purchased my first egg, we didn't even consider a trailer that wasted space w toilet and fridge. It won't hurt your ep resale value at all.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:55 PM   #11

Michigan
Guitfiddle, spoken like a true weekend camper.... If you have been turned away at several national parks on a busy weekend and find yourself looking at federal "rustic" campsites with only a long drop and a hand water pump for facilities (out west generally no water whatsoever) then having a sanitary loo and shower to get clean take on a different meaning.

I know that the 1 night we spent near Charlevoix in Northern MI (happened to be an offshore racing weekend that we knew nothing about) the experience of opening the door on the long drop, which was basically overflowing and seething with maggots along with the "bath" we took in the lake MI water which was about 40F, was the last time my wife ever went tent camping until I got a trailer with a bathroom....

In this part of the country (and in the western US) the majority of really well situated camp sites happen to be the "rustic" variety. I am not attracted to KOA's - it feels like being in the parking lot at Walmart.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:26 PM   #12

Name: Derek
Trailer: In the market
California
Hi westcliffe! More a tour trained old dead head, although w two wee ones, I have devolved a bit into a weekender. ��

I just traded my beloved Westy for my first egg, and I guess I'm just used to not having in board facilities. To each their own. I do most of my camping along the Cali coast and I've not yet come across the maggot filled scenes you describe. I'll count myself lucky. I do however share your disdain for koa sites, and if you don't mind. Might steal your wonderfully accurate description of them.

The point of my post was in response to the idea that removal of bathroom would negatively impact resale value. Speaking only for me and mine . . . nothing could be further from the truth.

Cheers!
Old 10-03-2013, 09:34 PM   #13

Michigan
You are talking of some of the most densely populated real estate on the planet.... I have only been to California 1 time (LA business trip) and was not keen to return..... I'm sure if you can get out of the city limits it might improve a little....

Don't worry, I got a 19' with no bathroom so I still have to figure out what I am going to do....
Old 10-03-2013, 11:45 PM   #14

Name: Karen
Trailer: Formerly Bigfoot 25RB21 and Scamp 19
Colorado
Are you going to be in a warm place for these six months? With electricity? Wildlife around? You might consider setting up a second dorm fridge or plug in cooler outside the trailer. Put a dorm fridge on top of the toilet in the shower room?

Will the bath/shower facility be shared? If so, I can imagine appreciating having your own facilities inside the trailer if, for instance, you get sick sometime during that six months. I am sure that some people would prefer no bathroom but I think that's likely not most people, especially in a 19 ft. trailer, so I think you will lower your resale potential if you rip out the bath.

Tags
refrigerator, scamp