Pump Bypass - required? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2014, 12:56 PM   #1

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
Pump Bypass - required?

Im putting a new plumbing system into my Boler. Its a basic system thats hooked up to the kitchen sink only.

The plan is to put the following items connected together in series:

City Water hose hookup
Debris screen
Pump
Faucet

With this setup i would like to have the option of connecting to the city directly. If city water hookups are not available i would like to run a short hose from the hookup into a bucket. If hooked up to the city, the city will supply the pressure. If hooked up to the bucket, the pump will supply water pressure.

Question: Can i run city water pressure through the pump? Is it necessary to add a bypass so that city water goes around the pump rather than straight through it?

Derek
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:17 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
No, you can't run the city water through the pump, it will back up into the water tank and may not be so good for the pump valves.

There is a simple blocking valve, such as the Atwood Check valve Tee (p/n 6115-1) that will let you connect the pump to one input and the city water to the other and it will take care of where the water goes.

There are some other alternatives. The above checkvalve tee, and several others are shown on this link: Camper Plumbing Parts | Water Filters | Hand Pumps | Exterior Showers | Hanna Trailer Supply Oak Creek, Wisconsin

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:38 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamourpets View Post
With this setup i would like to have the option of connecting to the city directly. If city water hookups are not available i would like to run a short hose from the hookup into a bucket. If hooked up to the city, the city will supply the pressure. If hooked up to the bucket, the pump will supply water pressure.
Does this mean that you won't have an enclosed onboard fresh water tank?
Old 06-17-2014, 09:20 AM   #4

Name: Tim
Trailer: Aliner folding & Weekend Warrior toy hauler
Ohio
The city water is connected after the pump. RV demand pumps have a check valve that prevents the water from going backwards through the pump.
1998 Ford E150 pulling a 2006 Weekend Warrior toy hauler = 8 MPG
beemerphile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:10 AM   #5

I think that the OP was wanting to put the city water on the input side of the pump. I see his thinking, but there is an inexpensive solution that is commonly used.

Old 06-17-2014, 01:20 PM   #6

Name: Tim
Trailer: Aliner folding & Weekend Warrior toy hauler
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I think that the OP was wanting to put the city water on the input side of the pump. I see his thinking, but there is an inexpensive solution that is commonly used.
I realize that but there is no reason to do it that way unless a boost in pressure is needed from the pump. Even then that boost will only work until it cavitates.
1998 Ford E150 pulling a 2006 Weekend Warrior toy hauler = 8 MPG
beemerphile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:36 PM   #7

The OP wanted to bring in water either from a tap or a tank on the same fitting.
And "Boosting" city pressure is about the last thing one should ever want to do.

But I think that the OP has left the building... LOL