Putting Scamp window in Uhaul CT13 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #1

Name: Linda
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
California
Registry
Putting Scamp window in Uhaul CT13

Hi everyone (but particularly Mary and Bob)

We finally received our order of two Scamp windows to replace the front and back windows of our Uhaul. They were packed magnificently and seem very nice, but we have a couple of questions. For one thing, the directions appear to say to use rivets to install them, but we would rather use screws--would that be possible? Screws did come with the windows. Mary and Bob mentioned using screws, but said that "Also check the screw length as the provided screws may not be correct. I also drilled pilot holes for the screws to go in farther."

Also, Mary and Bob said that the clamp ring had to be installed backward on a Uhaul, and that it would be obvious when we got the windows. (Here is what they said: "I did install a Scamp rear window in our Uhaul. I had to widen the opening by about 1/2" on each side and round out the corners a little. I also had to install the clamp ring backwards as the one that came with the window is for a thicker wall.") But to our consternation, it is not obvious to us. It looks like there would be no clamping action if we put the clamp ring on backward. The photo on the right shows the clamp ring in the right position, and the two on the left show (sorry, kind of hard to see) how it would look installed backward. Could someone please clarify how it could possibly work backward? Seems like there would be a huge airspace between the two rings.

Thanks very much for your help.

Linda
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_5270.jpg   DSC_5268.jpg  

P1100609.jpg  
Lindl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:11 PM   #2

California
Registry
Sorry, it's the middle picture that has the clamp ring facing the correct direction, the top and bottom pictures have it backward.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:30 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
OK I'll try to clarify, but don't hesitate to ask me more questions. I assume that when the window is installed in a Scamp, the largest outside measurement on the clamp ring would be to the inside of the trailer, and set against the inside wall. That would work if the wall was 2" or so thick. But the Uhaul wall is about 1/4" thick, so I put the clamp ring with the largest diameter side against the inner wall of the trailer. That's what I'm calling " installed backwards". Use screws through the clamp ring into that groove in the window, and make sure that the screws aren't so long that they go right out through the outer frame. If Scamp sent the foam tape with the window, DO NOT use it. I did and the window leaked so I had to pull the window back out and reinstall it with the butyl tape. Where the screws go into the groove in the frame I drilled a small hole so that the screws could go in farther. I have not replaced my front window. Another thing I didn't try was to see if the original Uhaul clamp ring would work, I don't think it will but check it out. My Internet is not real good in this campground, so also PM me with questions. Good to put it on the forum too as any info may be useful to other Uhaul owners. If you need I'll give you my phone number. Bob
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #4

California
Registry
Hi Bob,

Thanks so much for answering. Apparently, what we thought was backward is what you thought was forward. So all is clear now. Also thanks for the other information. I will post some picture of the installation once the rain stops.

Thanks,

Linda
Old 12-20-2012, 05:57 PM   #5

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Thank you, Lindl. That information will help all of us.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:04 PM   #6

New York
After I had my original Uhaul window out and the opening cleaned up, I held the new window up to the opening and marked where I had to cut. I used an Air powered die grinder with a 2" thin cut off disc. I had to recut a couple times, better to do that than cut too much. I also used 2" sanding discs with the air grinder. Your new window may have 4 small clips on the edge, I filed notches in the opening for them to fit in. Tighten the screws a little at a time to draw the window in tight, check them again later or the next day. You may also have to smooth out the seam where the two halves of the trailer join. My rear window is a little stiff sliding, maybe because the fiberglass opening isn't perfectly flat and the window frame distorts slightly.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:22 PM   #7

Name: Robert
Trailer: CT13
Indiana
Smile Just replaced my Uhaul front window with Scamp sliding window

I followed the information posted here. I can only add that I used the trim ring to mark where the window would be and made sure I cut out 1/8 less than it's size since the trim ring is slightly larger than the window opening. I have to agree that Scamp really packages the window for shipment in a wood container. The crate included the hex screws and a bit for installation..
Higginra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:18 AM   #8

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Glad to hear that window installation is working out for you. I'd love to see the finished installation. Another UH with new 'glasses' !!!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:40 AM   #9

New York
We just finished resolving water leaks in the front of our Uhaul, some of it being around the window. With the trim ring off I could see where the original sealer was not applied evenly, didn't want to take the window out, and finally sealed it with Proflex RV sealant. Painted the trim ring and installed it with new black screws. When I bought the Scamp rear window I think it came with phillips head screws, I know it wasn't hex heads.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #10

Indiana
Here are the pics of the windows that have been replaced so far
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2013, 09:24 PM   #11

New York
So at this point you have a Scamp rear window and side windows from the teardrop parts place? If those side windows are satisfactory in your opinion, then we'll appoint you as the go to guy for information regarding them as I believe you are the only person to have purchased and installed them so far.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:31 PM   #12

Indiana
I feel that the side windows provide a satisfactory solution. With only one disadvantage that I know so far. You loose your emergency exit.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:11 AM   #13

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I know this isn't the "proper" thinking, but I have a hard time imagining that in a 10' long camper, if anything happened bad enough that you couldn't make it through the door, that you would have time to safely get out of an escape hatch a few feet away.

I know I'm s.o.l. In the scamp, no way my shoulders are getting through those hatches.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:44 AM   #14

New York
Only thing I can think of Jared is an angry bear tearing the door off or the trailer blew over on to the door side. I have seen a popup camper blown over, that was in a campground on the Outer Banks NC.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:54 AM   #15

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
I know this isn't the "proper" thinking, but I have a hard time imagining that in a 10' long camper, if anything happened bad enough that you couldn't make it through the door, that you would have time to safely get out of an escape hatch a few feet away.

I know I'm s.o.l. In the scamp, no way my shoulders are getting through those hatches.
No escape hatch in the Uhaul thus the reason for the kick out window if the camper blows over and falls on the door side or your cooktop is suddenly engulfed in flames from a leaky propane connection or some other unimanaginable situation which happens.Redundant exits are always good and are there to mitigate those rare situations. The user can decide how much risk he can tolerate, the designer was covering his butt, and there is a lot of good to say about keeping your cheeks warm.
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:27 AM   #16

Indiana
The new front window does add another escape and I also have a safety tool for breaking the glass if needed.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:52 AM   #17

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higginra View Post
....I also have a safety tool for breaking the glass if needed.
Me, too. One on the end of each leg.

Tags
scamp, uhaul