Question before I drill.... - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-23-2012, 09:10 AM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD
Washington
Question before I drill....

Have a new Casita SD and I want to start making modifications to it like any other geeked out rv owner. Having said that, I want to add a counter extension to my stove area. What is the most secure way to install to fiberglass surface?
I'm just a rookie so any suggestions are much appreciated.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:23 AM   #2

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
I've averse to drilling holes in my fiberglass. I chose to use 3M extreme tape to install a counter extension.

UHaul Counter Extension

Old 08-23-2012, 10:27 AM   #3

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dykim18 View Post
.... I want to add a counter extension to my stove area. What is the most secure way to install to fiberglass surface?
"Best" really depends on what your trying to attach. And to what type of surface. More info would be most helpful, besides all creative ideas for things like counter extensions are valuable. You may be a rookie, but you may be a rookie with a really neat new approach.

When you can get to both sides, but one side is hidden (like inside a cabinet) then stainless bolts/machine screws and washers can work to attach brackets or braces. When the back side is hidden but not accessible (like where a fridge is under the cabinet) then maybe rivets.

People use epoxy or marine adhesive for some things, lots of products and people will share what product works and how to use it if an adhesive seems appropriate for the task at hand. And as Tom pointed out there are some double sided tapes strong enough to mount a solar panel on the roof.

Sometimes people use snap caps that hide the head of the fastener if it would show. There are times using fiberglass cloth and resin to attach wood to inner walls or floor may be the way to go. Probably not in this case, used more for stuff like bunk or AC mounting.

Double wall trailers there are an assortment of hollow wall fasteners people have used. Some good, some not so much.

So describe what you have in mind, maybe even a picture of where you want to put it and pretty soon people will either be providing links to a thread on someone else who did something like it, or all excited to be helping you create a new modification. It's just that kind of place, how cool is that.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:41 AM   #4

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by dykim18 View Post
.........What is the most secure way to install to fiberglass surface?..............
Rereading your post, the most secure way to attach it is to through-bolt it with a large washer on the backside of the fiberglass to distribute the stress.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:51 AM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD
Washington
Thomas and Rodger, thank you so much for your information! This is great stuff! I love this forum!
Old 08-23-2012, 11:01 AM   #6

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Rereading your post, the most secure way to attach it is to through-bolt it with a large washer on the backside of the fiberglass to distribute the stress.
thats what I would use and have used when securing something to a walls. If you want to give it a real finished look you can add a small snap cap holder and snap cap over the screw head that is visible on the wall. If the other end is visable as well a small SS acorn nut gives it a finished look.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #7

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Plus one on what Carol said about acorn nuts, my curtain rod brackets are snap caps from scamp store on the outside, acorn nuts on the inside to make pretty.

Plus one for Toms' comment on large washer to spread the stress, would add lock washer under nut in some cases to keep it from vibrating loose. Fender washers are bigger diameter than regular washers for the same size bolt hole making them a good choice.

scamp also uses thin strips of wood fiberglassed or glued with epoxy to the inside to distribute stress, stiffen openings and put screws into. See it on hinge side of cabinet doors. If your going to hinge your extension to the end of the cabinet running the through bolts through a wood strip glued to the inside to really spread the load out might be good idea. Still good to use a washer under the nut, even with the wood.