Question on replacing AC to fan. - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2018, 08:33 AM   #41

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gscott View Post
I.. If you need the AC you are in the wrong place. Hook up your trailer and move it. Isn't that the whole point of having a trailer?
No, its not the whole point.

Its one point but hardly the only one. In fact to many people in many cases, outside air temp does not enter into it at all when they are deciding where to go. Yet, this argument of "just move the trailer to where it is cooler" comes up time and time again.

As just one example of many, some people choose their destination based on family. So if family has relocated to someplace where it is hot, perhaps when there is a special event planned, its nice to be able to live in your RV and have A/C. Leaving the family for cooler climates might well be going to the wrong place.

I could list many more reasons why someone might want A/C (or might not want it). The point is that I don't judge people's choices based on my situation. What works for them is OK with me.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:40 AM   #42

Trailer: 1970 Trails West Campster
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
No its not.

Its one point but hardly the only one. In fact to many people in many cases, outside air temp does not enter into it at all when they are deciding where to go. Yes this argument of "just move the trailer to where it is cooler" comes up time and time again.

As just one example of many, some people choose their destination based on family. So if family has relocated to someplace where it is hot, perhaps when there is a special event planned, its nice to be able to live in your RV and have A/C. Leaving the family for cooler climates might well be going to the wrong place.

I could list many more reasons why someone might want A/C (or might not want it). The point is that I don't judge people's choices based on my situation. What works for them is OK with me.
The OP wanted to remove her AC. Everyone that posted to discourage her from doing that is judging her choice. Why do you need to comment on me sticking up for her choices?
Gscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:33 AM   #43

North Carolina
Quote:
The OP wanted to remove her AC. Everyone that posted to discourage her from doing that is judging her choice. Why do you need to comment on me sticking up for her choices?
I commented on your blanket statement:

Quote:
... If you need the AC you are in the wrong place. Hook up your trailer and move it. Isn't that the whole point of having a trailer?
I did not comment about you or anyone else sticking up for her choices (or not sticking up for them). My comment was limited to the quote I posted. And I stick my my comment that moving to cooler climate is not...

Quote:
...... the whole point of having a trailer?
No matter how many different people on this forum seem to think that just moving is the answer for everyone.
Old 06-03-2018, 01:30 PM   #44

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Wow
This thread sure went sideways
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 02:32 PM   #45

Name: amy
Trailer: scamp 13
ME
Thank you all who replied! I didn't mean to offend anybody, nor am I discouraged by the "You will need the AC" comments I completely understand, especially if you live down south.

I AM looking for a way to be able to carry an AC with some modifications just not on the roof.

As stated, I will be using it as is this summer and leave the AC on to get a more "real life" perspective before taking it off etc.

This helped very much, I now know the opening is perfect for the fan and wiring it is possible! So now I know it IS possible and that I have options
Thank you all again for replying to my post!
amy in maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 07:22 PM   #46

Name: John
Trailer: 2013 13' Scamp
Maine
Another Mainer with a 13’ scamp

We just bought a 2013 13’ scamp last August (with Coleman AC).

Good idea to keep the ac in for a while. We liked using ours on a hot day at Hidn Pines in OOB.

I can appreciate the desire to store camper inside your garage. We put a tarp over ours this winter in our backyard , but would love to find a reasonable shelter that holds up to a full winter load of snowfall .
MrJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:07 AM   #47

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJohn View Post
We just bought a 2013 13’ scamp last August (with Coleman AC).

Good idea to keep the ac in for a while. We liked using ours on a hot day at Hidn Pines in OOB.

I can appreciate the desire to store camper inside your garage. We put a tarp over ours this winter in our backyard , but would love to find a reasonable shelter that holds up to a full winter load of snowfall .
Especially THIS winter!! So much snow...did you have any problems with mold or moss under the tarp?
Old 06-16-2018, 08:18 PM   #48

ME
I was looking into the Maxx air and it seems it’s more Opaque compared to the fantastic fan which is like a greyish blackish transparent. Maxx air only has black and white which color do you think will match the fantastic fan?! Or because the AC is white and seems ok just go with a white Maxx air? And not worry about matching it?

I got a quote and it was $400 including the Maxx air (the best one without the remote) with the uninstall of AC and install of the fan. I think that’s a great deal vs lifting that heavy thing and wiring it to 12v etc. I’m just preparing myself but was wondering what other ppl do when installing 2 different fans?
Old 06-16-2018, 11:15 PM   #49

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
I like the white as light colors tend to make the interior seem larger and feel more open. Now weigh that against the value of outside light the tinted transparent one will let in during daylight. Are you inside it much during the day, where you would enjoy a skylight?
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:29 PM   #50

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
I like the white as light colors tend to make the interior seem larger and feel more open. Now weigh that against the value of outside light the tinted transparent one will let in during daylight. Are you inside it much during the day, where you would enjoy a skylight?
No from the outside. It already came with the fantastic fan installed I’m thinking of having the Maxx one installed where the AC is.

When looking it from the outside I didn’t know if it would look weird with 2 different fans plus with 2 totally different color? Grey and white vs grey and black.

Although right now it’s grey and white (ac) and doesn’t seem to look weird. But it might be different when it’s a fan?

Haha, maybe I’m overthinking this!!
Old 06-17-2018, 06:32 AM   #51
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
When I ordered my trailer, AC was not on my list. I couldn't use it. I stay at public campgrounds. In northern New England none have power and generators are restricted. As far as going south in July with my trailer, I don't think so.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:24 AM   #52

ME
Yes, we boondock 90% of the time so really don’t need it. But we do go to Disney once a year or so and that’s when AC might be great? But there are so many great hacks like this one

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...mps-65172.html

Instead of carrying it all year long I can just bring it when we do plan on using it with hookups.

Also instead of having the AC just sit there under the sun and get wasted I think another person would get full use out of my roof ac.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:59 AM   #53

North Carolina
I really think if I did not already have an A/C and wanted one to use only once or twice a year, I would try a portable floor unit. If it can work in a Pop-up tent camper, it should work in an egg, with a little modification for the hoses.

And I am pretty sure it will work, since I recall seeing a few egg trailers online with such a unit.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:06 AM   #54

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I really think if I did not already have an A/C and wanted one to use only once or twice a year, I would try a portable floor unit. If it can work in a Pop-up tent camper, it should work in an egg, with a little modification for the hoses.

And I am pretty sure it will work, since I recall seeing a few egg trailers online with such a unit.
Ohhhh that looks really compact for a portable ac I only could find 8000btu but that one looks like it’s 5000?! Where did you get that?
Old 06-17-2018, 09:13 AM   #55

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy in maine View Post
Ohhhh that looks really compact for a portable ac I only could find 8000btu but that one looks like it’s 5000?! Where did you get that?
Random Googling... Bought a Portable Air Conditioner | PopUpPortal
Old 06-17-2018, 10:07 AM   #56

ME
Thank you I found it on Amazon. The only problem is where to store it while boondocking to Florida? The window unit can be stored under the bench. But with more options, more people can incorporate! Thank you