Question on replacing AC to fan. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2018, 01:05 PM   #1

Name: amy
Trailer: scamp 13
ME
Question on replacing AC to fan.

Hello, I have recently purchased a Scamp 13 2014. There is already an AC on the roof. I would like to swap it out with a fan instead. though I believe the AC is run by 120 and not 12v usually for fan operation. Would somebody have any knowledge if there is in fact a 12 wiring already there or would I have to route new wiring to accommodate this? Thank you in advance!
amy in maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 01:46 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I am almost 100% sure there is ONLY 120 VAC wiring at the A/C. You could use the existing wiring for 12 volts DC, disconnecting it at both ends and rewiring to the 12 volt side but that i not my recommendation at all. It would work OK but it would likely confuse someone down the road and perhaps cause them to mis-wire something and cause a problem. Best to stick to marine quality white and black wire of type and gauge specified by the fan manufacturer. If you do anything non-standard, I would label it very very well.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 01:55 PM   #3

ME
Thank you very much for replying! Do you think an AC to DC adapter would be sufficient instead? I was thinking of keeping the AC so if I ever resell my scamp I can leave the next owner options. The AC was only used a handful of times from the previous owner and it's practically new. It blows too much air actually for a 13 and so loud and it's freezing cold. Somebody might love that...lol
Old 05-20-2018, 02:09 PM   #4

ME
Also, I am not sure how large of an opening the AC has...would I have to close it off somewhat for a fan? I am assuming the fan needs a smaller opening than an AC?
Old 05-20-2018, 02:18 PM   #5

North Carolina
Yes you could use a 120 VAC to 12 VDC converter. Where to mount it is one issue. And that means no fan when on battery.

If I were OK with that then I might put in a RV roof fan that runs on 120 VAC but of course that again means it only works on shore power.

As for the hole size, I could guess but look up the installation manual for the model AC you have online and it will specify.

As for loud, yes it is. As for cold, when you get to Florida in August it wont be so bad. I don't like the noise but there are some days I would be miserable without A/C and I would never remove mine. IS there room for a fan AND a/c?

By the way, the "clunk" when the compressor starts can be quieted with a SoftStart but the fan will always be loud.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:01 PM   #6

ME
Hmmm.. very good advice on everything...I think I WOULD want it to run on battery...I think I will use it as is this coming summer and see if we actually do use the AC first...although I don't think we will be able to sleep with that noise...and it doesn't seem like the thermostat is working? I kept it on the warmest setting but it seems to keep getting colder and colder as time goes on. I haven't actually checked it with a thermometer but it gets so cold that you can't have it running any longer. But as you said, it might be just right down south. Thank you very much!
Old 05-21-2018, 09:21 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Just let me give you some "southern" advice, IF you even remotely think about coming south during the summer, do NOT remove that A/C! If you've never experienced "Humidity" in the south during the summer, you have NO idea what it's like. I was born and raised here and though I was raised until I was about 4-5 yo WITHOUT A/C, now that I've gotten use to it, I can not sleep a wink in humidity! It's awful.

It's there why bother? If you want a "fan", I'd rather add one...you're going to need to run the wire anyway. Just another thought, you COULD purchase a small window fan with thermostat. The Scamp has a nice back window where it would be easy to set up where you could take it in and out.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:58 AM   #8

ME
Thank you for your reply. I just don't like the look and if I take it off it would fit in my garage! It snows here quite deep and I would have to cover and store it outside and the bother of removing the snow each time it snows etc. I looked at a hack where they put a portable AC in the closet putting the exhaust in the floor and I was thinking that may be a better solution since we can take it out when not needed. Of course drilling a hole in the floor sort of scares me but lugging that heavy thing on the roof EVERY each time vs a hole I think I'd rather take the hole + garage. What do you think?
Old 05-21-2018, 10:18 AM   #9

Well, Amy with my setup, you're going to have to realize my "thinking" will be QUITE different. The A/C up on top clears the much-needed room in the rest of my Scamp. Storage is critical and with my wife and I, taking up more closet space just isnt an option on my 13'er.

Placing a unit in the window is an option that many have done. To make it permanent, some build a frame and brace it to the bumper. Some have them where they install it once they get to the campground. Years ago, GE had a "Carry Cool" (still have one) that would have been nice in this situation. Never really figured out why SOMEBODY didnt design a 3-4K A/C but that's another story for another time.

So again, look at my setup and this works for me. For what it's worth, I do have the A/C AND "Fantastic fan". Both have their place. Good luck with what ever your decision. Of course, with the temperature spread SO vastly different from Maine to Tennessee, I can definitely see the benefit of your decision. AND, IF you decided to come south and it's rare, then a small unit to mount temporarily would be the way to go. I wouldnt want mine either if I only used it 1-5% of my camping trips. I would have chosen a temporary window mount. But again, I'm in Tennessee and I wouldnt give a second thought if I was reordering right now, to get my exact setup concerning the A/C. Mine DOES have the heat unit in it too btw.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/503516...57657635513489
Old 05-21-2018, 10:19 AM   #10

ME
The portable AC weighs around 20lbs less than the roof one. And has 8000BTU I'd rather get a 5000 but nobody seems to make one. We just got this so we havent taken it out yet so I am not sure if we would need that closet space or will be using the AC more than we think so I will be using it as is this Summer to get a feel on everything before tempting to do any hacks. But I'm thinking that would be the best solution in my situation. I'll have to research more on it though I just saw it yesterday!
Old 05-21-2018, 10:22 AM   #11

ME
OHHHHHHH!!! A car port!! Does this stand snow? Or would it be too heavy and collapse??
Old 05-21-2018, 10:41 AM   #12

ME
Your AC seems like it's the low profile? Mine sticks out like a sore thumb it's so thick and lumpy looking. I think it's the cheapest one. Maybe I'll have to look into the low profile...but then again it wouldn't fit in the garage with the low one either....sigh lol
Old 05-21-2018, 10:43 AM   #13

Hmmmm...you need to go online. GE, Frigidare, Haire, and others makes 5K BTU's all day long. I bought a small one at Ollie's last year for about $92. You do NOT want a 8K a/c in that small scamp!! I have a GE 8K in my back bedroom and I'm using it to cool my entire house (less two closed-off bedrooms) with a fan pushing the air through!!

You can google the carports, but yes, it's designed to take considerable loads. Wind is the biggest factor to watch for and making sure it's anchored properly. If my carport should have to go, so would my Scamp. That's how big of a believer I am in them.

And yes, I dont like the new "Dometics?" they use on the Scamp. I hear they're very loud as well. Mine is the Coleman 9K and it's super. Still wish they could make one similar but in a roof-mount 5K like that even smaller profile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy in maine View Post
The portable AC weighs around 20lbs less than the roof one. And has 8000BTU I'd rather get a 5000 but nobody seems to make one. We just got this so we havent taken it out yet so I am not sure if we would need that closet space or will be using the AC more than we think so I will be using it as is this Summer to get a feel on everything before tempting to do any hacks. But I'm thinking that would be the best solution in my situation. I'll have to research more on it though I just saw it yesterday!
Old 05-21-2018, 10:49 AM   #14

North Carolina
Its a pretty big project so I agree.. take it slow, give it lots of thought. You can always remove the A/C next year, or the year after, etc. (if you still want to).
Old 05-21-2018, 10:50 AM   #15

ME
No, I'm talking about a portable AC the one on wheels. If I put the window AC in the closet it has even more hacking to do because of the air intake on the sides and making the drip pan etc etc. and it's more of a permanent install if I put in the window one. I want to be able to take it in and out. I've also read that to put it in the scamp window you NEED to make a frame otherwise the window part starts sagging and the seal will come off. The portable AC only sells from 8000BTU trust me I looked and looked! lol
Old 05-21-2018, 10:55 AM   #16

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
I am sympathetic with you being based in Maine. I would be surprised if a fan fit the A/C hole perfectly, but if it did, that could be a plan.

That said, you bought the Scamp for travel, and there's a good chance that means beyond Maine. That makes me inclined to suggest you try it as it is for a season, then decide. You may decide the A/C is ok, or that you want a different trailer.

PS, to garage it once a year, it might work to jack it up, remove the wheels while hitched, and place furniture dollies with casters under the hubs. Do the math for height and weight first. If it works, just push it into the garage and unhitch. Make sure someone guides it straight. Use wheel chocks, sandbags, or something to keep the dollies from moving. The pair below will hold 1,000 lbs. each. Make sure they will lower it enough. The carpeted boards are 5" off ground, the bare boards are 4", so it may depend on your hubs.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/WEN-1000...218/304665740?
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:01 AM   #17

ME
Thank you very much! There's so many great ideas that I would have never thought of! I will tow it as is this year or maybe 2 or maybe forever?! Hahaha and think it all through. As of now I'm online (for HOURS!!!) looking at all these great hacks that everybody is doing and learn more before I do anything drastic. Thank you all very much for replying
Old 05-21-2018, 11:07 AM   #18

ME
Oh! But if it's in a year or 2 maybe this will be already out? Then I'll get this!!
Old 05-21-2018, 11:09 AM   #19

ME
It was supposed to be shipping out this March but I think it's delayed. THIS would solve ALL my problems!!
Old 05-21-2018, 11:18 AM   #20

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
That Noria looks very nice. Presumably you could store it and the window template until you cross the Mason-Dixon line. Appears they may sell for $299-399.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote