Questions about solar power - Page 13 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-15-2014, 02:18 PM   #169

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Send a message via Skype™ to Night Sailor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood View Post
Stev, Thanks for that tip I appreciate it. I found it on HD's site for 149.00, but it doesn't come with a frame. Amazon has the same panel for 139.00 shipped(not sure if fab 8) and it looks like it comes with a frame. I've been looking at 95-100 kits but wouldn't mind getting things separate if I can save some money. I have looked at kits ranging from 250.00 to 700.00 that's why I ask about quality and if it really matters or not. One of the more expensive ones come from a Canadian company but they also look very well made and put out the amps. It may be hard to beat the kit prices from Solarblvd, and I could always get a inexpensive mppt like the one Peter used. I was actually looking at that one on Amazon for 68.00. I can see this might take some time to sort out, or just dive into one of the cheaper kits from China and see how it works.

I recommend buying the components. I just installed these panels--they have a frame. I purchased the mounts off Amazon and the connectors. I have extra wire and connectors I can sell you from my left overs. Pam me if interested in these components. See my recent post on my install for details.

Old 03-15-2014, 03:00 PM   #170

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterh View Post
There was a question, a few posts back, about why a battery's charge level makes a difference in how quickly a battery sulfates. I'm going to try and answer that question in layman's terms.

<CUT>
====

This is, very obviously, a technical topic, and I've necessarily glossed over a lot of details, but it is an accurate description of what's going on inside your battery. I'd love to know how well people followed what I was saying.
THANKS Peter for taking the time to explain it so well and yes indeed its in layman's terms!

Think I will keep to my current practice of avoiding running my battery down below 50% and not have to take my chances as to what the battery manufacture may or may not have put into the battery to avoid the "bad-boy" lead(IV) sulcate.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:32 PM   #171

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Prius camping - want an Oliver
Virginia
Peter - great explanation. I wish my chem courses had been as clear:-)
Old 03-15-2014, 03:36 PM   #172

Name: Tim
Trailer: Class B for now
NY
Yes Pete great job on explaining everything. Conrad pm sent and thanks.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:59 PM   #173

Name: steve
Trailer: Born Free Fiberglass
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood View Post
Stev, Yes I do see that its a 105w and that will also work for me and has frame. Only reason I would buy separate components is so I could go with different length wire and maybe go with a mppt controller. You are right that getting delivered to HD would be nice then you can check to make sure its in one piece too, and the 90 day return is nice .
Tim, also check out the 160 watt Grape Solar has from HD.
Not that much bigger. If you have the room.
I have also heard, a MPPT controller is needed only if you have over 200 watts total in panels.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:32 PM   #174

NY
Stev, Thanks but I'm going to stay around the 95-105 for the panel size. And the mppt your are correct, but the price of some have come down a lot and it almost makes it worth getting a cheap one. But I'm still thinking over the controllers. And I'm really torn between two panels, the Grape 105w you mentioned and the CARMANAH CTI95 95W. The carmanah or go power panel is more expensive but have heard good things about them and they look to be well made. As a friend of mine told today, it was easier getting married then picking out some solar stuff.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:15 PM   #175

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Peter, my thanks as well for the accessible explanation.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:33 PM   #176

California
Tim, please explain why that Carmanah panel is that much better than the Grape Solar? The price is like twice as much.
I am basically learning all this.
So would like to learn.
Also i would like to keep up with your installation, what you buy and your installation. Maybe start a separate thread?
Old 03-15-2014, 10:52 PM   #177

NY
Stev, I don't know that it is any better. In fact I'm leaning towards the Grape to be honest. I'm pretty green when it comes to solar also, but thanks to this thread its a little clearer. I do think its better at least for me to buy separate components as I will get the things I want. Buy the way @ home depot they will ship to store or your house for free. And sorry to highjack the thread but at least its still about solar.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:28 AM   #178

Connecticut
They have lots of sizes. I like these grape solar panels. Home Depot told me 6 weeks or more and had them for me in about 2.5 weeks.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:02 AM   #179

California
Grape Solar factory is about 150 miles from me.
One of these days I want to stop by.
Maybe they have tours.

Tim, what MPPT are you looking at?

Conrad, I am enjoy reading your solar "build".

I love this Forum, thanks to everyone.!!
Old 03-16-2014, 09:50 AM   #180

Connecticut
To, pick the best quality. I was constrained by size and wily gladly have laid more for better quality. Also, I recommend going for more panels now. I used the Renology Zmouts on Amazon but didn't trust the bolts so I pop riveted them to the panels. I used two thru bolts per panel and screws the rest. I would have glued small pieces of fiberglass paneling to the roof and drilled and tapped those for screws or studs if I had a fiberglass roof. My roof is rubber. There are also plastic mounts that can be glued to a roof. Avoiding holes is a good idea.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:43 AM   #181

NY
I'm thinking about using this:Go Power! GP-PWM-30 30 Amp Solar Regulator for about 112.00 or this :MPPT Tracer1210RN Solar Charge Controller which is 68.00. Hard to believe that I can get the mppt cheaper, but it might not be better either. And will more than likely go with the Grape 105 panel. Making my own kit up like some others have done. That way I have what I want and nothing I don't, unless it doesn't work of coarse. And don't forget everything is subject to change:

Conrad, I really like your idea of riveting the z to the panel. I will probably borrow that idea, easy does it.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:44 AM   #182

California
Thanks..
I ordered these to mount my panels..
Solar Panel Z Bracket Mount Mounting Set RV Boat Off Grid | eBay

Tags
solar, solar power