Quieting the Suburban furnace model NT-16SE, same as the NT-20SE - Page 8 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-05-2012, 05:55 PM   #99

Name: Regis
Trailer: Palomino Y-4100
California
That's cool and everything and I have some knowledge in the field. Too technical for this experiment.

For the average consumer, the furnace is too noisy. Suburban didn't want to entertain, to me, that there is an industry problem. Why should they since there is only one other competitor.

However, they did offer to replace mine with a new Q-series but I don't want to trade a Pink Lady for a Granny Smith.

It doesn't matter what the numbers read on the (my) meter. (They) will be the baseline. I was willing to mail my decibel meter to Suburban so the numbers would at least be coming from the original source. I had no reply to that query. So much for product knowledge on their end.

They did state that the internals are different on the new Q series and the blower/motor assembly is not a direct swap into the preceding units.

There are other furnaces. The boyz from Propex did sound level readings on YouTube due to the large volume of inquiring questions. Espar. Webasto. What about any of the house style direct vent , such as Empire DV-210 or Williams, can be installed. They don't require electric but can be fitted with an optional 110v blower.

My hat is off to the OP. He started to do something that many of us want to but ended up stopping.

I'm sure that the industry is heeding to the complaints. There may be a time in the future when we can all get a warm good night sleep while listening to the crickets and frogs.

See ya 'round the campfire.

Happy trails,

Old 06-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #100

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
For anyone who might be interested in the voltage regulator hush kit option. I have ordered enough parts to assemble a couple units. If anyone would be interested in helping me test them out please PM me. If anyone wants to order my kit after its been tested a bit, I am estimating that the kit will cost between $25 - $35 to make I think.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:15 PM   #101

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
I don't know how much scientific measurement procedure (while a valid point) matters in a small space like our eggs. Anything that generates 77 db in that space is going to seem loud.

If someone else posts a much lower measurment made in front of a different heater I'm going to assume it's not 100% apples to apples test but a good indication of a heater that will be less noisy. Same thing for noise abatement modifications. If someone posts they got a 20 db reduction measured in front of the furnace by doing "x" most would consider that significant.

Since the noise measurements of generators are commonly provided by a manufacturer there has to be an industry standard. Even if the measurements provided here are a little "rough" I appreciate folks that take the time and spend the money on the meter to provide them. Pretty sure Regis is not going into the noise certification business, just providing a little information to his fellow RV'rs.

Oh and giving Suburban a much deserved hard time ;-)
Old 06-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #102

California
Yinz might like this option.

http://ventedcatheater.com/6.html

I'm my case, I'd like to see an 8k or 10k Cat. With 140 sq ft, mostly tent, BTU's are nice. The factory put in a NT-20-SE as it is.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:05 PM   #103

California
I know. I know. You're thinking, who is this guy and how'd he get in. Well it's almost over.

Here's some info about Propex.

IMG_0195.MOV - YouTube

Exhaust.MOV - YouTube
Old 06-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #104

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quieting the Suburban frunance

I was just about to post about Propex Space Heaters and H2O heaters when I saw the above posting. They are sold here in Arizona by Adventure Trailers in Prescott. This is one of the links to the heater Propex Heaters

I think I my try one of these mounted on the tongue of the trailer behind or even under the battery box, and vent it into the trailer where my port-a-potty sits or toward the curb side storage area.
Happy Trails
Dave
Old 06-05-2012, 09:31 PM   #105

California
Quite popular with the VW Westy peoples. The heaters are , IIRC, in the mid 90's on efficiency. Requires 12v. Pricey.

There is a vendor here in Cali near Santa Cruz. I spoke with him about sound level a bit over a year ago. I believe he said that with a H-2000 unit sitting on the bench, dB readings in the mid 50's were noticed. Not as accurate as when installed. The largest complaint I am privy to is the garggling sound from the exhaust. There has been some attempt to put a lawn mower engine style muffler on the exhaust with success.

And the band played on.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:48 PM   #106

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
David, THANKS for posting all the photos etc of pulling out your furnace - gives me hope that I can do it. I took a good look at mine yesterday and its installed the same as yours but it did have some support under it - all be it just a couple of boards stuck under it.

I dont plan on trying to do anywhere near what you did to try and make it quite but my furnace has developed a big high pitched sound when it first starts up that I would like to try and sort out. The furnace actually looks to be in pretty good shape for its age (21 years old) from what I can see so far - no rust etc showing so I am assuming that its the fan and that perhaps it can be easily resolved? Any ideas? Bearing possible?

While I have the furnace out I also plan on putting something on the sides of the housing as you did to quite it down a little bit - where does one get the mat material you mentioned using? As there are vents on the sides of the housing I am assuming they should not be covered - is that correct or is it ok to cover them with the mat material?

Also wondering about replacing the thermostat with digital. I noted one from Walmart was mentioned - anything special I need to know about wiring it in - I am assuming the Walmart one isnt 12v .

Thanks in advance for any words of advise you may have.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:12 AM   #107

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
David, THANKS for posting all the photos etc of pulling out your furnace - gives me hope that I can do it. I took a good look at mine yesterday and its installed the same as yours but it did have some support under it - all be it just a couple of boards stuck under it.

I dont plan on trying to do anywhere near what you did to try and make it quite but my furnace has developed a big high pitched sound when it first starts up that I would like to try and sort out. The furnace actually looks to be in pretty good shape for its age (21 years old) from what I can see so far - no rust etc showing so I am assuming that its the fan and that perhaps it can be easily resolved? Any ideas? Bearing possible?

While I have the furnace out I also plan on putting something on the sides of the housing as you did to quite it down a little bit - where does one get the mat material you mentioned using? As there are vents on the sides of the housing I am assuming they should not be covered - is that correct or is it ok to cover them with the mat material?

Also wondering about replacing the thermostat with digital. I noted one from Walmart was mentioned - anything special I need to know about wiring it in - I am assuming the Walmart one isnt 12v .

Thanks in advance for any words of advise you may have.
Hi Carol,
I'm glad it helped. The noise is most likely the motor bearings. I have had this happen with motors in the past I've ended up getting years of additional life from them by simply oiling them. You would need to remove the motor to do that. The front bearing should be easy to get some oil into. I'm not sure about the rear, but it's worth a shot....or you could just put in a new motor.

After many many nights of use, the mat material has held up very well. It is called Boom Mat, and I found it on Amazon. It is easy to work with, and yes leave all the vent holes open. Mine took more than one box to cover.

The digital thermostat was a huge improvement. I highly recommend it. It has eliminated the hot/cold swings. It is compatible with 12V, yes. On my furnace it was a simple 2 wire hook up, but I have an Atwood now, and I have no AC. I'm sure someone can give you specifics on the Suburban. The thermostat itself runs on a battery, which lasts a long time. The thermostat also provides a very nice and accurate digital thermometer. Mine is also simple to use

David
Old 07-28-2012, 11:33 AM   #108

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
*Thanks* David for the additional info. I suspected it was the bearing. Feeling brave so will attempt to fix it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:58 PM   #109

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Viking Epic
Ohio
I read through your thread on quieting the Suburban furnace. I pulled it and have been using small electric space heaters due to the noise.

I have pulled my heater apart to look at the room air fan in hopes to find a replacement.

I am a member of a local rc club were their are a number of guys that fly Electric Ducted Fan Jets. I noticed a difference in sound it some of them. Some were very quiet and some of them sounded like the Suburban furnace. What I found out is a difference in number of blades on the fan. Jets running a 12 blade fan were much quieter than the four and five blade fan. As you know the Suburban has a five blade fan.

So... I started searching for EDF that was similar in size as the Subarban room air fan.

I found a number of fans that would work. But they are super expensive.

Then I found this one. Link below.

Just wondering what you think...

Your comments would be much appreciated.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/AIR...468?Pid=search
Old 03-11-2013, 12:50 AM   #110

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
The Suburban is quiet now that it's been replaced by an Atwood 7900 series. So is David. Last post Nov. 2012.

jack
Old 03-11-2013, 03:34 AM   #111

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Viking Epic
Ohio
If I had the discretionary income to do such a thing I would.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:47 PM   #112

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2004 trillium outback
Alaska
Registry
Question Any more to this project?

Has anyone heard if there is a final solution to this project reducing noise in the furnace? I eagerly read down the posts hoping for a remodel that would quiet the noise!

Tags
furnace