quote for new upholstry covers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2010, 12:41 PM   #1

Name: Paul
Trailer: 13' Boler 1977
Ontario
quote for new upholstry covers

HI:

just looking for an idea of what it cost people to re cover their cushions, I have a 73 Boler,

I was Quoted $700 just for the sewing, if i bought the fabric off of him, and he said if i get the fabric myself the sewing price would go up a bit????

which makes no sense at all to me?

so what have other paid for someone to sew them all new cushions???

I already have new foam, so that is not an issue

thanks

Paul
pbraunton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:46 PM   #2

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
It could be that he prefers to sew with fabrics he knows. My father-in-law sewed and was particular in that way.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:49 PM   #3

Ontario
Yeah true but does $700 seem reasonable for sewing the cushions for a 13' boler?
Old 09-16-2010, 02:57 PM   #4

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
We had a mouse get into our pop up. Started the upholstery then discovered the toilet paper and paper towels to raise her family. The women replaced two of the foams and the fabric and then used what was left over of the damaged fabric to fix the other holes to help defray the cost because it would have been really expensive to replace all of it. It was I believe around $200 just for what little we did have replaced and that was a few years back. Have you tried other venders?
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:00 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17 ft
Registry
I'd use these:
Cushion Covers Full Set of Seven No Foam
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:36 PM   #6

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
What about having these Modified to the correct size? 2009 scamp 16 trailer cushions never used
Old 09-16-2010, 06:23 PM   #7

Name: Chris
British Columbia
We had an entire set of new cushions for our Trillium made (foam + covers) for just over $700.

Chris P.
chrispy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:35 PM   #8

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe ('Huevo a la Fuga')
Registry
An upholsterer will get a healthy discount on fabric from their supplier. If you let them supply fabric they will mark up their cost but it is probably a better deal than if you buy your fabric retail. Sounds like I need to get back into upholstery!
Chuck L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:25 PM   #9

Ontario
paulw:

thanks for that I didn't know that they sold new ones, ........HMMMMM, now you got me thinkin!!!!

thanks for all tips as well, .......We were set one a brighter colour, but might have to get these due to the budget!!!!
Old 09-16-2010, 10:16 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Trailer: We have had all the brands at least once.
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
What about having these Modified to the correct size? 2009 scamp 16 trailer cushions never used
FYI: Those look like they are out of a Casita not a Scamp. That is a Casita fabric print and the ad says it came out of the "king-size bed model", which Scamp doesn't make.
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:25 AM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Paul, Alf S. once owned a Boler "Tours Light" and bought the Scamp cushion covers. Here's one posting (w/pics), from what I remember, he was quite pleased with the fit and cost. He did say, the banana cushion needed a bit of modification to fit: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post204530

Here's the post, in the same thread, where he says the cover fit well: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post203763 and more pics!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:48 PM   #12

Name: M
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Michigan
We just purchased the Scamp cushions. The total cost was very reasonable, but when you figure your total cost don't forget shipping. For us shipping was well over $100 (standard UPS). We had several heavy things shipped from the factory at the same time so I can't tell you what shipping for just cushions would be.

The cushions themselves are very nicely made. We got the blue fabric and really like it. You can call Scamp and they will send you fabric samples if you would like.

Good Luck!
zephyr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:21 PM   #13

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
did you supply the fabric or did the upholsterer? usually 100% markup of fabric sothat may be in the quote. I did mine myself in an afternoon with vinyl bottoms and the foam was the biggest expense.
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:18 PM   #14

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott S. View Post
did you supply the fabric or did the upholsterer? usually 100% markup of fabric sothat may be in the quote. I did mine myself in an afternoon with vinyl bottoms and the foam was the biggest expense.

well i have new foam, ........from my parents old camper they just sold, ....the buyers didn't want it, so they kept it, ....my dad is a pack rat !!!

so i was thinking about doing it myself but how hard was it?, i have sewn nothing, well i have roughly sewn some badges on my old scout uniform when i was 10, and i have done the odd Halloween costume, again roughly, .........

i don't care if it has piping, so that is not an issue

can you give me a description of how you did it?,

in my mind you would cut all the panels to the size and shape they would be, adding about an inch for sewing arond all the edges, then sew them together adding a zipper, then turn them inside out and put the foam inside????

does that make sense?, am i missing something?, any tips to add?, maybe I will buy fabric for one cushion and giver a go, if it turn out bad i am not out much, if it turn out good then just keep going, i mean i have all winter to get it done, so i am not in a hurry!!!!!
Old 09-20-2010, 08:59 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
This is some info provided by member Diann James. Be sure to read the text under the photos. I hope it helps! Diann's Cushions pictures from north america photos on webshots
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:13 PM   #16

Ontario
Thanks Donna:

i think i am going to give it a try, seems kinda hard but i like figuring things out, ........

i am going to do one, and see how it goes, ..........

next question would be how many yard would one need to recover the cushions?
Old 09-20-2010, 10:20 PM   #17

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Paul,

If you haven't picked up fabric yet here are things to think about.

You want a fabric that has a simple pattern. You do *not* want to try to match plaid pieces.

You do not want a fabric that has "nap". With a fabric with nap you need to be sure all pieces are in the correct direction. The same can be said with a printed fabric. Some fabrics have a print that can be looked at from either direction.

A simple fabric will make your job much easier because all you need to worry about is making sure the pieces are on the straight. The straight of the grain runs the length of the salvage. In other words don't cut pieces sideways as they will stretch out funny when you sit on them.

I would go to the library and get out a slipcover or upholstery book to get you going in the correct direction.

Sorry, if this is too basic. I don't know your skill level. Just wanted to put some things out there for you to think about. I really hate having to match up patterns and nap.

If you need to cut your foam the best tool is an old electric knife that we use to use for turkey day.

Another thought. I am not fond of putting in zippers. It is much more professional, but recently I had to make slip covers for condo cushions and I just used velcro. Now we will have to see if they "rip" each time someone sits on them. In my Scamp I have also just "whip stitched" the final seam on one of my cushions. Whip stitch is sewing the final seam by hand.

Hope this helps some. Wait for sale day at the fabric store. Shop around.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:26 PM   #18

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
How many yards you need depends on the pattern you choose and if you want things to match up. Hope someone else has the number for you.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:58 PM   #19

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Another point (although I am far from an experienced sewer) is that you typically don't make the fabric exactly the same size as the foam piece, because it will end up being a little big "baggy." If you size the foam a tiny bit large (or vice-versa), then the fabric will be taught when you are done. Of course you can't take this too far.

Also, some people wrap the foam in something (Dacron?) to make a a bit softer looking and less like you wrapped a box in fabric. I have not got to this level yet though.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:13 PM   #20

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Here is another link that has some pretty good instructions: Box cushions free illustrated making instructions
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote