"Raincoats" for jalousie windows - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2018, 02:25 PM   #1

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
"Raincoats" for jalousie windows

After all the work I have done to keep water out of my Ventura, I still wanted some extra protection for the jalousie windows. They have been partially rebuilt and well sealed but they are, after all, 43 years old.
Inspired by a post by K. Corbin about window coverings and by the prospect of a trip to the rainy west coast, I decided to try to make clear plastic covers for the opening windows.
So I made a prototype and put it on and drove the 2300kms to the coast. It survived the trip, so at the campground I made covers for the other two windows. Yesterday all three performed perfectly in very heavy rain.
Having tested the idea, I decided to post it for anyone else who would like to use it.
Materials: 12 gauge clear vinyl from a fabric store and industrial strength velcro, 1" x 10' from Amazon.com ($9.00 x2)
The vinyl is simply cut to be about 2'' wider and 4" longer than the frame to allow for trimming to fit and for the protruding window. The fuzzy velcro is put on the inside of the sides of the vinyl and the hook part is put in the metal track that usually has a strip of plastic to cover the screws. The width has to be trimmed slightly to fit into the tracks.

The vinyl fits up under the weatherstripping at the top of the window but it has to be trimmed to create a tab of about 2' long and 1" high at each corner to cover the top of the frame. A few pieces of velcro can be used along the top under the weatherstripping just to make sure the cover does not droop, especially on the long window.

Once the sides are done, the vinyl can be cut to length but also has to be trimmed at the corners in a way opposite to the top, with the corners cut out and a long tab in the middle that gets velcroed up under the window sill.

This is a long and probably confusing description of a very simple but effective solution. I am going to use them when both stationary in wet weather and when traveling in rainy weather and probably for dust in the desert. The materials only cost about 30.00 so if I have to remake them every few years it will not be a big deal.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1993.jpg  
Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:08 AM   #2

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
So my understanding is that you travel with the clear vinyl attached and it does not blow off at internet speeds.

This is a very interesting mod. What a simple and elegant solution.

I may give it a try. It may help keep dust out and using a smoky vinyls may help with reducing sunlight from heating up the inside of the trailer. I have sliding windows, but we get some dust when in the SE.

Thank you for this post.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:22 AM   #3

Ontario
Yes, I made one as a test and then drove from Winnipeg to Vancouver and it stayed on. I was quite surprised actually. Coloured ones sound interesting too.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:46 AM   #4

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Very interesting idea, maybe have a try.

Happy camping.
HawkBoler72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 03:05 PM   #5

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
I read your interesting post twice. I am still not sure if they are on the inside or outside. $500 says its the outside. Just kidding. I bet they just got moved, inside.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:28 AM   #6

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
INTERESTING to put the hook side of the Velcro into the channel where the rubber screw covers normally goes. VERY interesting!

We took that rubber out and merely painted in channel black right over the screw heads...the rubber had held mud and wet and the screw heads were mostly rusted away in there.

I didn't realize the jalousies had any kind of an air/dust/water issue per se...interesting to know that maybe they do.

VERY CLEVER work on this! May they last a long time!

BEST
Kai
Old 06-14-2018, 01:49 PM   #7

Ontario
Thanks Kai. It is just that the windows do not close as well as they probably did years ago and despite some rebuilding they are not tight. I had a lot of rot on the framing below the windows and have to assume they were partly to blame.
We have had another several days of rain and still no sign of water infiltration. I can even open the windows a little bit for ventilation in the rain.
I think there would be more boler and other vintage trailer owners interested in the concept but I think I chose a confusing title for the thread. I have no way of changing it now.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:56 PM   #8

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I think your title is perfect the way it is.

Another advantage of your raincoats is they will help in cold weather, while not creating a true double pane window it will make a considerable difference in keeping out cold drafts without blocking out all the light on an already cloudy dark day.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:21 AM   #9

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
I like your title, too, and think it's perfect.

BEST
Kai
Old 06-23-2018, 11:04 AM   #10

Name: Artbylucy
Trailer: '76 Boler
Colorado
Patricia, thank you so much for your post. We have an old Boler who's windows leak and I thought your idea might work for us. I'd really love to see more photos if possible. Can you please message me and or we can email if you want. I am in Denver Colorado. Thanks again - Lucy
Artbylucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:20 PM   #11

Name: Shacara
Trailer: 1974 Boler
British Columbia
Raincoats

Hi! I have tried to seal my windows with silicone and silicone spray but the windows still leak.. I even sealed them from the inside! After doing some thinking of why, I settled on pooling water on the windows upper ledges. So I ordered car window rain protectors which were too short. I finally ordered sunroof rain shields and they work perfectly!
Attached Thumbnails
5BE62AC0-9F39-4F4F-8F1B-1C365F7D2E46.jpg  
Shacara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:49 AM   #12

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
butyl tape

Shacara have you tried completely removing the windows, cleaning off all of the old sealant, then applying a thick butyl tape (or two layers) to the back of the window flange, then re-installing?

I've found that on my Boler 13 (since sold) and on my Trillium 4500, once re-installed with new butyl tape they don't leak at all. A couple of years ago, we left all of the windows open on the Trillium 4500 while we were sightseeing for the day. A very heavy rainstorm came and continued for an hour or so. We returned to the camper and it was dry!!

The rectangular Hehr or Burdick jalousie windows found on Boler 13's and Trilliums are MUCH lower maintenance and easier to waterproof than the radius corner windows found on other molded fiberglass campers. We recently acquired a Boler 1700 with radius corner windows and we immediately had to remove and disassemble ALL of the windows, replace ALL of the window seals, etc, before re-installing with double layer of butyl tape. These are much higher maintenance windows compared to the rectangular Hehr or Burdick jalousie windows.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:41 AM   #13

Name: Cynthia
Trailer: Ventura 1974
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia D. View Post
After all the work I have done to keep water out of my Ventura, I still wanted some extra protection for the jalousie windows. They have been partially rebuilt and well sealed but they are, after all, 43 years old.
Inspired by a post by K. Corbin about window coverings and by the prospect of a trip to the rainy west coast, I decided to try to make clear plastic covers for the opening windows.
So I made a prototype and put it on and drove the 2300kms to the coast. It survived the trip, so at the campground I made covers for the other two windows. Yesterday all three performed perfectly in very heavy rain.
Having tested the idea, I decided to post it for anyone else who would like to use it.
Materials: 12 gauge clear vinyl from a fabric store and industrial strength velcro, 1" x 10' from Amazon.com ($9.00 x2)
The vinyl is simply cut to be about 2'' wider and 4" longer than the frame to allow for trimming to fit and for the protruding window. The fuzzy velcro is put on the inside of the sides of the vinyl and the hook part is put in the metal track that usually has a strip of plastic to cover the screws. The width has to be trimmed slightly to fit into the tracks.

The vinyl fits up under the weatherstripping at the top of the window but it has to be trimmed to create a tab of about 2' long and 1" high at each corner to cover the top of the frame. A few pieces of velcro can be used along the top under the weatherstripping just to make sure the cover does not droop, especially on the long window.

Once the sides are done, the vinyl can be cut to length but also has to be trimmed at the corners in a way opposite to the top, with the corners cut out and a long tab in the middle that gets velcroed up under the window sill.

This is a long and probably confusing description of a very simple but effective solution. I am going to use them when both stationary in wet weather and when traveling in rainy weather and probably for dust in the desert. The materials only cost about 30.00 so if I have to remake them every few years it will not be a big deal.
I love this idea! We also have a Ventura and have worked very hard at fixing both the interior and windows (seals and gaskets and cranks), and... We are also heading for the west coast in a month. Needless to say, I'm worried about water damage, after all our hard work. This just may be a solution to my worry! Thank you!!!!
Cynthua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:37 AM   #14

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I love this idea, too, and agree the thread title is perfect!

Personally I would be tempted to cover the exposed Velcro hook strip when the “raincoat” is not installed just to keep it cleaner. Extra Velcro fuzzy strips- black, perhaps?

Wouldn’t hurt to have the rain diverters on top, too. They’re available in aluminum and a couple of colors of plastic. Install with rivets or VHB tape.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:55 PM   #15

Alberta
"Raincoats", more pictures please?

Quote:

Hi, me again. BTW - It's Cynthia, NOT Cynthua, just can't figure out how to fix it. Story of my life. If you have more pictures of what you did, I would love to see them! I'm still trying to grasp the tab thingy, top and bottom. I really, really, REALLY want to do this, because I want to feel safe from water. Any other advice you can offer, count me in, because I am very interested!
Thanks for sharing your original post!
Cynthia
Old 07-03-2019, 04:21 PM   #16

Ontario
Hi Cynthia, I am not at home and don't have my trailer with me so I can't take any more pictures.
By the tabs I just meant that at the top of the windows (at least on mine) there are parts of the frame that make it impossible to just have a perfect rectangle of plastic so you have to cut around those in order to not have gaps at the top corners. Perhaps the best thing to do would be to get a roll of brown wrapping paper or maybe some old material or even less expensive vinyl and just experiment with cutting out the shape of the frame and see if your material lays flat (though there are raised areas where you go over the frame). Just keep making patterns until you feel that you have a good fit and then use that one to trace a final outline on the plastic. The two most important elements are to make sure the top of the plastic fits up under the wide weatherstripping at the top of the window and to use industrial strength velcro.
It took me a while to figure out the first one but after than did the others in just a few minutes though they are far from perfect. I am sure you can do it. It takes playing around when you have some time, not unlike making curtains.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:28 PM   #17
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I've used industrial velcro for years to hold my home made awning on. Unfortunately it doesn't last long when exposed to the elements. This strip was installed last summer and is separating into two pieces. The glue portion is difficult to remove. I use heat, goo gone, and acetone to get it off. Mine is on the gel coat. I suspect removal from an irregular surface like a window frame would be challenging.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190703_182021.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	130120
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 06:34 PM   #18

Ontario
Raz, so far I have had good luck with the velcro except at the top of one strip but fortunately there are screws in the track. I had put the velcro over the crews but at the point where the velcro loosened, it removed the screw and put it back in right through the velro so it hold it in place. Failing tht I would have used an adhesive of some kind.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:49 PM   #19

Alberta
Thank You!

Quote:
Hi Cynthia, I am not at home and don't have my trailer with me so I can't take any more pictures.
By the tabs I just meant that at the top of the windows (at least on mine) there are parts of the frame that make it impossible to just have a perfect rectangle of plastic so you have to cut around those in order to not have gaps at the top corners. Perhaps the best thing to do would be to get a roll of brown wrapping paper or maybe some old material or even less expensive vinyl and just experiment with cutting out the shape of the frame and see if your material lays flat (though there are raised areas where you go over the frame). Just keep making patterns until you feel that you have a good fit and then use that one to trace a final outline on the plastic. The two most important elements are to make sure the top of the plastic fits up under the wide weatherstripping at the top of the window and to use industrial strength velcro.
It took me a while to figure out the first one but after than did the others in just a few minutes though they are far from perfect. I am sure you can do it. It takes playing around when you have some time, not unlike making curtains.
Thank you for the hints, what a great idea to do a practice run! (Don't even talk to me about making those darn curtains! LOL) :-)

Tags
jalousie windows, windows