Rat fur first? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2017, 01:44 PM   #1

Name: Nancy
Trailer: Scamp
Vermont
Red face Rat fur first?

Hi All, I bought a Scamp which was completely stripped inside. Because of this, I don't know how the interior walls looked from the factory. This summer will be insulation/rat fur instillation. My question is, do I install all the fur first before riveting the cabinets back to their original placements or cabinets first then covering the blank areas. Thank you for all input, Nancy
fiberglassegglove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:47 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Insulation and rat fur first, then cabinets. You want continuous insulation across the shell; otherwise, cold spots allow condensation to form.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:00 PM   #3

Name: Ronda
Trailer: Fiber Stream
South Dakota
Registry
rat fur?

rat fur???? Ive been looking online for the ensolite but I have only found single squares. Ive read a few post on the rat fur, is that what it is really called. My fiber stream is an empty shell and I would like to cover all the walls and ceiling with something.
rondar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:16 PM   #4

Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Insulation and rat fur first, then cabinets. You want continuous insulation across the shell; otherwise, cold spots allow condensation to form.
That makes sense because when I held the cabinets up to the wall, they didn't seem to fit snugly. I wasn't sure if they had deformed from being off the walls for a long while or there needed to be fur under them. Thanks Jon!
Old 02-13-2017, 02:26 PM   #5

Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondar View Post
rat fur???? Ive been looking online for the ensolite but I have only found single squares. Ive read a few post on the rat fur, is that what it is really called. My fiber stream is an empty shell and I would like to cover all the walls and ceiling with something.
I will be using Reflectix for insulation and indoor/outdoor rug, don't remember the name, I purchased at Home Depot last year. I understand it is similar to the original fur like covering that is used in some trailers from the factory. Good luck Ronda
Old 02-13-2017, 02:39 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Ronda, the real name for the "rat fur" is Marine Headliner, and it can be purchased in several colors.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 03:26 PM   #7

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Ronda, the real name for the "rat fur" is Marine Headliner, and it can be purchased in several colors.
Dave & Paula
Yeah, call Scamp and they will sell you the proper amount, or point you to their supplier who could provide many different colors.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 03:37 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
https://www.scamptrailers.com/parts-...yd-detail.html
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 03:46 PM   #9

Arizona
Registry
Scamp's "rat fur" has a fairly long nap. It's thin and somewhat stretchy, so it's fairly easy to shape to the contours of the shell. It has a fuzzy touch, and it catches hair (I'm married with two daughters, so I know about hair!). Not a big problem- vacuums right off.

If you Google "marine headliner," you will find a number of other products out there in different shades of neutral (as far as I have seen). I've never run across anything quite like Scamp's. The other products have a much lower nap- more like a Berber carpet. From a couple of posts I've read, they're a little thicker and less stretchy to work with, but have a smoother touch.

Either would make a nice wall covering.

Carpet intended for floors usually does not make as good a choice because it has a stiffer backing, making it hard to fit the contours of the shell.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:35 PM   #10

Arizona
Registry
Late thought... If the interior has been out for a while, it's very possible the shell has sagged a little and bulged out in the middle. You may find you need to put a brace between the floor and ceiling and apply gentle pressure to restore the original shape to get the cabinets to fit right. The door can be a clue. Does it fit tightly all around?
Old 02-14-2017, 06:19 AM   #11

Vermont
Quote:
Late thought... If the interior has been out for a while, it's very possible the shell has sagged a little and bulged out in the middle. You may find you need to put a brace between the floor and ceiling and apply gentle pressure to restore the original shape to get the cabinets to fit right. The door can be a clue. Does it fit tightly all around?
Door closes tightly and stays closed during transport. There might be a slight bow out at the bottom but the cabinets do fit in their original spots, just a little loose. The closet on the door side is still in place, though not riveted, so that may have kept the roof from sagging. Time will tell when everything else goes in! Always surprises!
Old 02-14-2017, 07:36 AM   #12

Arizona
Registry
Actually that door closet being in place was a very good thing. Think of it as a structural column that doubles as storage. You will probably want to take it out to do the shell lining, and you would do well to brace the ceiling while it's out.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:37 AM   #13

Vermont
Quote:
Actually that door closet being in place was a very good thing. Think of it as a structural column that doubles as storage. You will probably want to take it out to do the shell lining, and you would do well to brace the ceiling while it's out.
I'm encouraged by your positive input Jon! Redoing this trailer from scratch is daunting but with help from this site, I feel I will be successful........... more questions will follow along this journey I'm sure!