Rat fur re-attachment - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2014, 01:30 PM   #1

Name: Bobbi
Trailer: Scamp 13
Maine
Rat fur re-attachment

Hi everyone!
We purchased a '96 Scamp 13 in June. Amazing condition! Over time the Rat Fur had fallen: that part was easy by removing top vent molding and gluing from up there and holding with tension rods.
There are spots unreachable that need glue behind them. I don't want to strip the walls to get there. My head has a plan, but you might have a better one. If I make very small slit and use a glue filled turkey syringe and again, hold with tension rods? GLUE! Silicone glue will peel off between fiberglass and the insulation apparently. What kind of glue?
Thank you for your time in advance, Bobbi
Bobbilane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 01:47 PM   #2

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
I cut a little hole and spray in 3M contact adhesive. Let it sit a minute to get tacky and then press into place. Works like a champ.
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 02:13 PM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Loctite Power Grab

I used Loctite Power Grab with the extended spray nozzle. I used two access methods. Near the seams I just loosened the seams stock my arm in and sprayed it around. I rubbed the fabric on the fur side to force contact. I then took a 1/4 inch piece of plywood and put it agaist the fabric holding it in palce with floor to ceiling 1x3s.

In places not convenient to a seam I cut a slit and stuck the nozzle in and repeated the process.

Loctite 6 fl.-oz. Clear Power Grab Pressure Pack-1589199 - The Home Depot

The Power Grab is a little expensive but it's worked for us.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 03:04 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
[
There are spots unreachable that need glue behind them. I don't want to strip the walls to get there. My head has a plan, but you might have a better one. If I make very small slit and use a glue filled turkey syringe and again, hold with tension rods? GLUE! Silicone glue will peel off between fiberglass and the insulation apparently. What kind of glue?
Thank you for your time in advance, Bobbi[/QUOTE]

That is the way we would make repairs in a gluedown commercial setting such as a furniture store. The syringe had a sharp point and was poked through to apply the glue, no slits were made. Worked great but that was on the floor. I think as others have said, a spray cement, say 3M, with a small tube may be best for you.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote