re build blues - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #1

Name: Tim
Trailer: boler
canada n.s
Angry re build blues

Started this wicked little hell hole of a project just after Christmas.. And is still isn't done ... Thought hey I've got some time. Why not make my new boler look wicked for the 2013 season ! So I gutted it.. And that was really the only thing that went the way it should .. Put up some reflex insulation and hull liner. Then found out that the rotten/broke up 2 piece of trim was nonexistent and impossible to buy Then I dropped a 1000 bucks on wicked awl grip paint .. That ran to hell when I sprayed it and a few days after I was done it got dull and started blistering and falling off Tried tinting the windows and u guessed it .. That started to blister and fall off too and finally today I went to put the front and back windows back in .. The old rubber was rotten and broke in my hands .. Went to apple auto glass.. Told the guy what I was doing .. Told him that I wanted the window liner to cover the edge of the hull liner to give it some kind of trim .. Got that home. Cut it to size and it was the wrong kind of stuff and wouldn't stay on the trailer. Yay 50 more bucks spent on trash that I'd have had a better time with flushing it down the toilet.. Oh yah and I've noticed that the reflex insulation is starting to peel away from the fiberglass and is starting to sag. No clue why the 3m spray glue is failing. Any way if any one wants a free Boler come and pick it up ASAP jk but thx for listening to me vent ! <_<
farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:43 PM   #2

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Well it was a pretty good vent. I would give it a solid 8.5 expressive while avoiding profanity.

Sounds almost as bad as trying to fix 50 year old steel plumbing, everything you fix just seems to break as soon as you move on to the next step. Step back - deep breath, now figure out what you want to do about any single problem and go whip its butt.

I have had to put second coat of the 3m spray glue on, often on both pieces being glued to get good hold. Even then it seems like it can be fussy about how long it sets before you put the pieces together.

Good luck, maybe someone here can give you some ideas on lining it that will turn out to be way cooler than paint, still bummer to spend the $$$ and have it go down the tubes.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:31 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
First thing... breathe. Let's see what we can do to help you.

I agree with Roger. Start with ONE thing and get it done and when you know you're successful... move on to the next ONE thing.

You've fallen into the fixer/mod trap. We've seen it lots of times before. It shows up by all the trailers that are sold that are gutted. Reading these forums and seeing all the great things folks have done is motivating to the point of over reaching.

Back up a bit. You have purchased items that CAN work. (maybe not the window seals because I don't know what you bought), but the wall covering certainly. Follow Rogers advice and glue it again... more glue and wait for it to set.

Best of luck and keep us informed. We're rootin' for you!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I know some people have found the the 3M adhesive can be fussy about the temp. Check the can to see what temp it needs to be to apply. I like RogerDat put it on both sides and then wait a minute or so before sticking together and I make sure I really smooth it down.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:56 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer View Post
Started this wicked little hell hole of a project just after Christmas.. And its still isn't done .. Thought hey ive got some time. Why not make my new boler look wicked for the 2013 session !
I think this may be the one thing that trips modifiers up: projecting too short of a time period to get a massive amount of work accomplished. Not accounting for the *other* aspects of life that get in the way of devoting your full attention to this trailer project you're dreaming about. Not knowing what you don't know can really deflate your enthusiasm when you experience "learning opportunities" (a.k.a. setbacks). I think a project like this is a good place to learn patience, which is a hard lesson, but a survivable one. I see a lot of good advice in the earlier posts.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:38 PM   #6

Trailer: 2007 Casita
I am with Donna, Breath!

You will get through this... And in the end you will have a very cool customized Boler.

One thing is to investigate all mods before starting. It really helps to see and read of others mistakes and accomplishments! You can do this. Just slow down and take it a step at a time.

I find googleing the topic I want to research with the forum name you can find suggestions, and re-hab how too's.

Example google, frame repair fiberglassrv.com and you will get all kinds of topics about frame repair. As well as using the forum search feature.

Here is a post about window replacement that Donna had posted some links to more info. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ows-35690.html

Hang in there, promise if you stick with it you will be happy you did!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:48 PM   #7

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
I don't mean to sound cruel, but get over it!

If it was easy, anyone could do it.

Been working on mine since 9/2011. Camped in it once, then gutted.

Don't have alot of time to work on it however it is getting there. I have made mistakes on the way but taking my time has allowed different, better ideas to come forth.

Be patient, slow down, you can turn your vision into reality!

Spanke
Old 05-30-2013, 09:58 PM   #8

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
I feel for you as we are renovating a Boler and seem to live and breathe it when not working.
Roger's response made me laugh.
When I tell my husband about how much some people get done in their renovation projects on the forum as they post all their updates his response is that they are lying! They really have taken a much longer period of time and are condensing it.

Hang in there when things are successful it is a great sense of accomplishment.
David is right, it isn't easy and that's why you often see Boler's that people have started to renovate and then ran out of steam. I always thought that was weird till I started a renovation project!
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:46 PM   #9

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
You might want to post a thread on the single item you want to tackle, get some feedback. Some of these folks have been doing this stuff since before politicians were crooked :-)

"Awl Grip paint - What went wrong?" and post a picture. Someone (or several someones) will be able to give you some pretty good information on what might have gone wrong and how to fix.

"Best adhesive for reflex insulation" there is bound to be people more than happy to provide information based on experience. If you mention 3M spray adhesive in the post you may find you want a different type or some tips. Or that will never work because... and you need to use x.

Even if it does not undo what is done it will provide you with the knowledge that makes a painful setback into a valuable learning experience.

For example when you mention paint formed "blisters and started to fall off in a few days" my first thought was moisture. Something kept the paint from sticking. Once paint dried enough it forms a skin and seals but is not stuck onto the surface, the normal process of day heat causes the trapped moisture or paint to give off gases or vapor, the paint is still flexible enough to expand like a ballon being blown up by that vapor. Other culprits could be wax or polish residue, or left over cleaning solution.

When it comes to painting, glueing, or welding cleanliness is really next to godliness. And prep work is 90% of the work. Don't ask how I learned this. Or how many times it took for the lesson to "stick".
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote