Re-certification on completely modified RV (CANADA) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2016, 12:08 PM   #1

Name: T and K
Trailer: Ventura
British Columbia
Re-certification on completely modified RV (CANADA)

Just wondering if any Canucks out there have information on whether re-certification for a modified RV ('74 Ventura) is required.

I found some information about how to get the RV re-certified (CSA and Gas Certification) but nothing seems to say if it is actually required or not

We have pretty much rebuilt from the ground up leaving non of the original wiring or gas systems in the RV.

Both the CSA and Gas stickers are beyond readable and are coming off when I gelcoat this week.

RV is originally manufactured in Canada so the import info would not apply either.

Thanks in advance!
OnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheRoad View Post
I found some information about how to get the RV re-certified (CSA and Gas Certification) but nothing seems to say if it is actually required or not
I don't know if re-certification is required. I'd be interested in learning how to do it just to get the sticker. (It would also be nice to know they are safe.)

Can you provide some links?
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:51 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I think you'd have to join the association and that could make that decal rather expensive. Certification wouldn't be cheap either.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:02 PM   #4

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Having looked at the website for that group, http://www.csagroup.org/industries/a...onal-vehicles/, it appears that it is the makers of components, the manufacture of RVs (people who assemble components to create an RV) and the sellers of RVs who participate in the certification process. It also mentions that one can have inspections done by persons in the group who are certified.

So I would contact the association and see if possibly they can renew the stickers for you. But if all you are after is new stickers I would not mention having done a major renovation as that would pretty much mean you would need an complete inspection and then a bunch of paperwork such as producing receipts for the components you used to prove they were certified components in order to get a replacement sticker.

There have been some situations I have seen where for bringing an RV into a long term resident RV membership camping club in the USA they would only allow a RIVA certified RV to be brought onto the property. That has to do with making sure the components are up to safety standards to help prevent fires due to wiring and gas line being improperly done in a home made camping unit. In that situation it is more critical as RVs on the property are often left unattended for months at a time. Not that things can't go wrong on certified units as well The insurance company for the camping club was probably the driving force behind that rule.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 05:25 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I have a hunch its not really required. If it where there is a whole bunch of redone Bolers & other vintage trailers running around that are all out of compliance. It would not hurt through to have it checked over by a gas inspector though for your own peace of mind.

Just as a side note a RIVA sticker will cost you US$260.00 just to replace it should the one on your trailer be damaged. Thats not to inspect the trailer just a replacement sticker! LOL
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 01:35 PM   #6

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
On the Road, where do u live in BC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheRoad View Post
Just wondering if any Canucks out there have information on whether re-certification for a modified RV ('74 Ventura) is required.

We have pretty much rebuilt from the ground up leaving non of the original wiring or gas systems in the RV.

Both the CSA and Gas stickers are beyond readable and are coming off when I gelcoat this week.

RV is originally manufactured in Canada so the import info would not apply either.

Thanks in advance!
: you have to re-certify your Propane for sure and if you are going to sell it really needs to be done, but it is up to u otherwise I Look at it this way do I want to die for something that could be fixed before I die?
I bought a cheap Utility trailer at Harbour Freight in Bellingham and I had to have it certified once I put it all together, cost was negligible but made my wife happy it is done. Camping trailer is same and Propane is more important. Alos if new to you check out the frame to make sure no thin spots.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:06 PM   #7

Name: Chris
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
T&K..

I too like to know that I haven't missed something when it comes to safety around Propane.. The solution is simple - Make an appointment at your local RV dealership to have your propane system inspected for certification.. The certification process includes an appliance check too.. If it passes the tests they will apply a lovely BC Gas Certification decal.. If for some reason it does not pass they should be able to remedy the situation for you and then apply the decal.. In both scenario's you end up being able to sleep well and see another day ;-)
Old 09-07-2016, 10:26 PM   #8

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Chris that was well put!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from Comox View Post
T&K..

I too like to know that I haven't missed something when it comes to safety around Propane.. The solution is simple - Make an appointment at your local RV dealership to have your propane system inspected for certification.. The certification process includes an appliance check too.. If it passes the tests they will apply a lovely BC Gas Certification decal.. If for some reason it does not pass they should be able to remedy the situation for you and then apply the decal.. In both scenario's you end up being able to sleep well and see another day ;-)
: I agree 100% with what Chris said about sleeping the night through and waking up the next day.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote