Re-coloring an exterior with auto paint - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2017, 06:18 PM   #1

Name: Mary
Trailer: Currently shopping
Pennsylvania
Re-coloring an exterior with auto paint

Hi. I haven't bought my trailer yet, but I'm leaning toward a Casita or Scamp. Regardless the finish that's on whatever I get, I really want to paint it to match my tow vehicle. Can fiberglass be painted by professional sprayers with automotive paint? Thanks.
Wildheart61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:38 PM   #2

Name: Mark
Trailer: Cycle-kamp
Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildheart61 View Post
Hi. I haven't bought my trailer yet, but I'm leaning toward a Casita or Scamp. Regardless the finish that's on whatever I get, I really want to paint it to match my tow vehicle. Can fiberglass be painted by professional sprayers with automotive paint? Thanks.
They should be able to since most cars are plastic and fiberglass. Prep is the main thing to a good paint job.
txrumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:53 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
You can, but realize that the typical lifespan of a molded fiberglass trailer (40+ years) means it will outlast multiple tow vehicles. The white top is also helpful in reflecting the sun to prevent heat build-up in warm, sunny weather.

Of course, it's your trailer, so do what you want!

My tow vehicle is gold-brown, and I replaced the Scamp factory red graphics with the gold-colored graphics normally used on deluxe models. It's a pretty good match. When it's time for a new vehicle, I guess I'll have to convince my wife to get another gold one...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:09 PM   #4

Name: Ross
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Colorado
Registry
Auto paint is the best if prep is well done. Here is a picture of mine painted last month.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0259.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	228.5 KB
ID:	114205
Seaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:45 AM   #5

Name: George
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Registry
Just remember that you are turning a trailer that was designed to be virtually maintenance free into one requiring periodic maintenance. i.e. the fibreglas Gelcoat was never intended to be painted. Contact the manufacturer before you do that and ask their recommendation.
jokra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:53 AM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
Auto painting

I painted mine and it still looks great 8 years later. No issues. Keep it indoors when not travelling. Maaco did the spray.
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:32 AM   #7

Name: Stephen
Trailer: NotYet
Ohio
Changing Exterior Color (colour?)

The key thing to remember is "surface" of the item to be painted!

The proper surface preperation must be performed in a systematic process order.

If it is not performed in a planned order it will not adhere (for all the kabitzer's use stay or stick on).

This includes, surface temperature, ambient temperature, and in some cases temperature of the person doing the painting.

Go forth and paint!!!!
apfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:44 AM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Yes corvettes are fiberglass, gel coated and automotive paints are used. If you leave your trailer out in the weather 24-7 marine finishes hold up better than typical automotive finishes. Just remember white finishes reflect heat and are cooler than colored finishes. Not much insulation in these little fiberglass boxes.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 12:15 PM   #9

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
I agree with Jon about preserving the white top. Especially if you paint a darker, heat absorbing color.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:05 PM   #10

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
If you can afford it DuPont Imron which is a polyurethane automotive paint it is almost indestructible.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:14 PM   #11

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Corvettes and boats are fiberglass and take paint really well. I've painted both. 99% of a paint job is the prep. Use a good quality automotive or marine paint and it should last a long long time.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:33 PM   #12

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
what does that imron cost per gal? I bet red is over the moon now!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 03:30 PM   #13

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Everyone seems to agree, prep is the most important part, but no one summarized what prep work is required. I assume cleaning, filling any imperfections (with what?), sanding? stripping of some kind? Removal of windows and other exterior hardware? or can some of that be masked successfully?

If all the prep is done by the shop, any ball park figures for cost for a 13 ft? I know it will vary greatly, but are we talking 1-2 thousand, or substantially more?

Just wondering for future consideration.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 03:34 PM   #14

Missouri
lyleb

I am betting 2 to 3k

bob
Old 11-30-2017, 03:35 PM   #15

Missouri
roll on

oh I wonder how imron would roll on?

bob
Old 11-30-2017, 04:34 PM   #16

Texas
Registry
Imron requires a catalyst and spraying it requires a supplied air respirator. Rolling it on would kind of defeat the purpose of getting an automotive quality paint job. Ya get what you pay for.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:14 PM   #17

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
I talked with Macco and they wouldn't give an estimate until I was finished with everything and brought it in. The place that does our usual work said Macco would probably be about 12-1500. They wouldn't do it because they would lose money in the prep to get it up to their standards (very good work done on a couple of fender-benders) or I wouldn't want to pay what it would cost if they billed time and material. I will likely paint it myself next Spring.
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:48 PM   #18

Name: Michael
Trailer: Casita 16ft.
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captleemo View Post
Imron requires a catalyst and spraying it requires a supplied air respirator. Rolling it on would kind of defeat the purpose of getting an automotive quality paint job. Ya get what you pay for.
You also need to make sure you have a competent auto painter apply paint that require catalyst. My dad once had a very nice 46 Plymouth business coupe (a very rare car given it was built so soon after the war). But for a couple of minor blemishes it had very nice original black paint. He decided he wanted a very dark blue, almost black, color and got an estimate from one of the cheapo chain paint outfits (not Maaco). I tried to convince him not to have that nice of a car painted by them to no avail. He had the paint done and less than a year later, the paint looked like a dull primer finish. It had billions of micro cracks in the surface from having too much catalyst added to the mix I think. Wax helped not a whit. Of course this all happened just beyond the warranty period. My dad wound up selling that car for a lot less money than he paid for it.
Nor Cal Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:18 PM   #19

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
How many of you remember this guy - WHAT A DEAL!!!

LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:25 PM   #20

Texas
Registry
I remember that outfit. Now another option for painting that I haven't seen on an RV but I have seen quite a few pickup trucks painted with is bed-liner. It comes in different colors and doesn't look to bad. And its tougher than woodpecker lips.

Tags
paint