Re-insulating old Casita - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2013, 11:51 PM   #1

Name: Anne
Trailer: In the market
Oregon
Re-insulating old Casita

HI,

I'm putting in new floors (found beautiful oak reengineered wood for $5!) and as I rip out the floor carpet I'm looking at the walls. It's old and ready to come off the wall. I'm just not sure if I'm ready to do it.

Has anyone done this before?

What materials did you use? Layers? Glues? Also, what process?

I found this great insulation Reflectix online, but then do you glue the headliner to it?

Thanks!
Anne in NW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:27 AM   #2

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
Seems like everyone is asking the same question. I have AYR-FOIL reflective insulation on my walls right now and have been looking for something to cover it with as well. I do not like the Rat Fur that most use.
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:22 AM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
I came across this site which sells headliner fabric for fiberglass boats. Maybe it would be suited for fiberglass rv's. Price seems not too bad, they claim it is easy to install. HullBlanket Headliner Hull Liner Carpet Type - Conforms to Shapes
Of course I have not tried it so you would have to satisfy yourself that it could work.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:54 AM   #4

Oregon
This headliner looks great. Polypropylene will definitely last and not shed. Would you glue the silver insulation to the wall and then this headliner to the insulation?

I also found this thin veneer wood that would look great if you cut the pieces right. I think you can also stain it or paint it.

Shop 24 x 4-ft Red Oak Iron-On Edging at Lowes.com

It seems pretty affordable for such a small space.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:44 PM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne in NW View Post
This headliner looks great. Polypropylene will definitely last and not shed. Would you glue the silver insulation to the wall and then this headliner to the insulation?

I also found this thin veneer wood that would look great if you cut the pieces right. I think you can also stain it or paint it.

Shop 24 x 4-ft Red Oak Iron-On Edging at Lowes.com

It seems pretty affordable for such a small space.

The link I gave had instructions on how to glue the headliner material down.

The oak veneer you linked to would be suitable for a flat surface such as a shelf top or edge. It would not be suitable for the inside walls or ceiling of your fiberglass rv.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:20 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Look at the corners of your trailer. Will any product you think you'd like to use, bend (without bunching) into the corners?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:39 PM   #7

Oregon
It might be nice to use a wood veneer over the flat wall by the bathroom. This is interior too, so I don't see much reason to insulate it.

I like the sailing carpet headliner and also the white vinyl, but the video shows how to attach it to a wood surface. Does it work The same to attach it to the insulating foil? What about attaching the insulating foil to the fiberglass wall? Is it all the same?

Thanks!
Old 10-20-2013, 06:58 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne in NW View Post

Thats how Scamp does it. BTW the rat fur in the Scamps that no one likes is a marine grade head liner... just saying

Its properties is why it does not retain moisture or to much in the way of smells - assuming the trailer has been cared for of course.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:30 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Thats how Scamp does it. BTW the rat fur in the Scamps that no one likes is a marine grade head liner... just saying

Its properties is why it does not retain moisture or to much in the way of smells - assuming the trailer has been cared for of course.
Hey, I LIKE the rat fur in my trailer. Makes it cozy, no smells retained and no moisture either.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita