Re-posting Inexpensive Awning DIY - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2006, 12:19 AM   #21

Trailer: Love Bug 1973
Quote:
would it be practical to put this awning on the opposite side of my casita? that way i can have shade on both sides when at the beach
Yeah i guess it would be... I never thought about doing that! I guess usually I park that side next to the hook-ups so it seems that it might be in the way of the other sites, but if you parked a little bit away it would be fine.
James Brannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 07:39 PM   #22

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
I believe you have a "Do it yourself" - "Rope awning". My old Shasta had one, with poles and tie downs for the poles. I do love the idea of the flag holders and had mulled that idea over. Good to see the installation. I had considered a lower placement if I did an awning. At present, I use a 10ft. market umbrella, like most use on a patio. I take it and a base.

I have found the "Rope Awnings" at J.C. Whitney's website under the RV section, different lengths are sold, from about $120.00 U.S and up and I had considered ordering one, installing the track on my Scamp with some interior alum. strips for support. The metal legs I would try to mount in the flag pole brackets.

Overall, yours looks great and about all it needs to have to compete with Whitney's is fancy stripes.
Robert Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:53 PM   #23

Name: Alexandre
Trailer: Boler 1300 1976
Quebec
Registry
Hi James,

I'm writing a couple years after your post, but I was wondering if your DIY awning setup works well with rain? Just looking at the picture, it would seem that water would accumulate? If not, I will definitely consider doing the same thing...

Thanks,

Alexandre
skryabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:40 AM   #24

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by skryabin View Post
Hi James,

I'm writing a couple years after your post, but I was wondering if your DIY awning setup works well with rain? Just looking at the picture, it would seem that water would accumulate? If not, I will definitely consider doing the same thing...

Thanks,

Alexandre
Doubtful you'll ever hear anything back from James. He had Last Activity: 07-11-2010 06:32 PM on FiberglassRV.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:33 PM   #25

Name: Alexandre
Trailer: Boler 1300 1976
Quebec
Registry
You're right Donna. But who knows... it's worth a try.
skryabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:26 PM   #26

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
James,

I bought two flag pole holders but can not convince myself to drill eight holes in the side of our rig. Instead I'm going to try to make something that attaches to the belly band.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #27

Name: Bonnie and Claude
Trailer: N/A
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
James,

I bought two flag pole holders but can not convince myself to drill eight holes in the side of our rig. Instead I'm going to try to make something that attaches to the belly band.
Norm, Did you jerry-rig something to attach to the bellyband? If so what did you come up with and how well did it hold up?
Bonnie n Claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #28

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Bonnie,
If I recall you bought a Dometic trimline. If so they have a bracket that is meant to work with your awning (2 rivets required). Randy posted pictures of his here:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post268084
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:49 AM   #29

Name: Bonnie and Claude
Trailer: N/A
Ontario
Registry
Thanks, Roy. On our stationary trailer we leave the awning up all summer, slightly lower in one corner (in case of heavy rain) with a wind strap over the top affixed to the ground with the stakes provided. I see many of the photos on this site have the awning supports affixed to the trailer patio style and was wonder with these smaller lighter awning if that has been found to be a better option or if it's simply a matter of preference. We tend to head off and then hunker down for several weeks in one place so aren't looking at taking it up and down.

Also noticed folks mentioned that the bag awnings have a tendancy to flip up in transit. We are considering not having the two end bits (stoppers?) that screw through the bag into the trailer installed so we can remove the awning while travelling. Do you leave yours on? Do they bang against the trailer?

Found pdf instructions for installing the Trimline. Ours did not come with the galvanized tent stakes or wire loops (and easy fix/replacement). I didn't realize there are spare sockets provided with new ones to protect the end of the ground leg when staking the poles to the ground. The sockets may actually be on the poles on ours. Will check next week when we get the Boler back.

As you suggested, I checked the pictures Randy posted and then found the ball end base (RV Parts RV Accessories RV Appliances RV Repair RV Service ) as we will be in the States in three weeks, think I may wait to buy them there.
Bonnie n Claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:42 AM   #30

I saw a simple solution to prevent the bag awning from flapping while in transit at the Niagara meet. The owner simply placed the zipper handles over the forward end of the window and used a fine bungee cord to hold it to the window frame.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:28 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie and Claude View Post
I see many of the photos on this site have the awning supports affixed to the trailer patio style and was wonder with these smaller lighter awning if that has been found to be a better option or if it's simply a matter of preference.
I think it's a matter of preference. I prefer to have the awning on my Scamp... legs down in the "carport" setup. I find when the legs are attached to the body, I need to dip down and crawl under the leg to get to the door (when approaching from the front).
Old 09-24-2012, 07:41 PM   #32

Donna,
How far out does your awning come?
Some of the shorter (i.e 7') awnings only come out about 6'.
Would that make a difference?

My preference would be an awning that can do both. Sometimes you get a great site that is not suitable for the carport arrangement but like the rain / sun protection.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:50 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Donna,
How far out does your awning come?
Some of the shorter (i.e 7') awnings only come out about 6'.
Would that make a difference?

My preference would be an awning that can do both. Sometimes you get a great site that is not suitable for the carport arrangement but like the rain / sun protection.
I believe when it's fully deployed about 8'. The Dometic/A&E Case awning I have, which is the same one put on Casitas... we have the choice of either, carport style or legs attached to the body. Or a hybrid, one leg doing one of each!
Old 09-24-2012, 07:55 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Or a hybrid, one leg doing one of each!
Oooh! Never thought of that.
Just tested our new Carefree bag awning and add a room at the Niagara meet. Worked great! Thanks to everyone involved.

Today is another day I learnt something. Thank you.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:07 AM   #35

Name: Patricia
Trailer: Uhaul
Louisiana
Can you tell me what do you use to connect the awning to the channel on the camper?
probichaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:59 AM   #36

Name: Beth
Trailer: 1995 Nomad
Oklahoma
This is a great Idea to make the awning over my window to keep sun out! thanks
blanders19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:23 PM   #37

Name: Gardnpondr
Trailer: 1985 BigFoot G
Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by probichaux View Post
Can you tell me what do you use to connect the awning to the channel on the camper?
My awning we pulled out of the channel on the camper has one of those poly type ropes and you just slide the rope in the channel. The rope is inside the sewn pocket of the awning fabric. All of it just slides into the channel.
Gardnpondr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:15 PM   #38

Name: Liz
Trailer: cruiser RV fun finder
Texas
Thanks for the great info on making an awning. Great process. I am trying to figure out how to make small awnings over a couple windows. Do you think this would work or is there an easier way?

Liz

​2008​ ​Cruiser FunFinder X ​189FBR & 2014 FORD F150​ 153 Nights Camping this year
Tons of Creative, Unique and Inexpensive Mods WackyPup.Blogspot.com
​​
PaintyLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:12 PM   #39

Name: Ace
Trailer: scamp
Montana
new awning for 16 ' Scamp

I have tried to find how to post to a new topic....am not up to it, I guess.
My ins. company is replacing my awning that got bent and broken in a high wind...the brackets broke too. Only 1 company have I found, so far, that will come to the rv court and reinstall one. They are having trouble finding anyone that sells the same size. I told them, I had read on the forum, favorable reports on the Tiammi..or some such....and they called them; only to find they had NO 10' ones...and even Scamp doesn't have 10'....I find that amazing...this old awning appears to be the original from A and E (maybe Dometic?).
They will have to refabricate it...and with THREE brackets instead of 2, like it came from Scamp.
Any advise...I am in Az. at present.
ontheroadagainace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 12:25 AM   #40

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroadagainace View Post
I have tried to find how to post to a new topic....am not up to it, I guess.
My ins. company is replacing my awning that got bent and broken in a high wind...the brackets broke too. Only 1 company have I found, so far, that will come to the rv court and reinstall one. They are having trouble finding anyone that sells the same size. I told them, I had read on the forum, favorable reports on the Tiammi..or some such....and they called them; only to find they had NO 10' ones...and even Scamp doesn't have 10'....I find that amazing...this old awning appears to be the original from A and E (maybe Dometic?).
They will have to refabricate it...and with THREE brackets instead of 2, like it came from Scamp.
Any advise...I am in Az. at present.
Look for awnings made for pop up tent trailers. Those are 10' in length. There are also shorter awnings sold for use on Truck Campers that will work just fine for you. Finding such things is mostly a matter of knowing where they are used and what the keywords you need to find them are.
Here is a google image page full of the Truck Camper awnings, you will see they are just the same except shorter than the ones sold for motorhomes and large travel trailer.
https://www.google.com/search?q=truc...w=1824&bih=855
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote