Re-posting Inexpensive Awning DIY - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2016, 06:51 AM   #41

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Re-posting Inexpensive Awning DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroadagainace View Post
...My ins. company is replacing my awning that got bent and broken in a high wind...the brackets broke too. Only 1 company have I found, so far, that will come to the rv court and reinstall one. They are having trouble finding anyone that sells the same size. I told them, I had read on the forum, favorable reports on the Tiammi..or some such....and they called them; only to find they had NO 10' ones...and even Scamp doesn't have 10'....I find that amazing...this old awning appears to be the original from A and E (maybe Dometic?).
They will have to refabricate it...and with THREE brackets instead of 2, like it came from Scamp.
Any advise...I am in Az. at present.
What year and model Scamp do you have? Am I understanding that you talked to Scamp and they no longer supply the same size awning on new builds? Their website shows a 10' awning as an option on the 16' models. I'm not understanding why you can't just use whatever they currently supply, including the brackets. The only complication might be that the bracket holes are different, so you will have to seal up the old ones. BTW... Fiamma is the one that lots of folks seem to like.

KC is referring to a bag awning, commonly used on tent trailers. Lots cheaper than the case awning you had but not as convenient to set up. It attaches to the trailer with an awning rail (C-channel) rather than brackets. Typically they cannot be as long as a case awning because the rail cannot mount on the compound curves at the front and back of the upper sidewall.

The truck camper awnings are just smaller case awnings. All case awnings are designed to be mounted on a flat, vertical sidewall. Special brackets are required to mount to a curved surface.

Another alternative to the factory case awning you might look into is a Shady Boy awning. The case is only 4' long, it weighs only 14#, and it opens out to 10'x6'. They supply brackets for mounting on fiberglass trailers. Its design makes it less susceptible to wind damage.
http://www.shadyboy.com
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:51 AM   #42

Name: Billy Sharpstick
Trailer: Scamp 13 - 2005
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by skryabin View Post
. . . I was wondering if your DIY awning setup works well with rain?
I think he used shade cloth, an open mesh that blocks a certain percentage of sunlight. Rain will run right through it. Using a solid tarp material will stop rain, but will catch the wind and possibly self destruct. You also have to make sure rain does not pool up in it if there are low spots.
sharpstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:57 AM   #43

Name: Billy Sharpstick
Trailer: Scamp 13 - 2005
Florida
Registry
Fastening shade cloth awning

Considering that this awning is shade cloth, you don't have to worry about making it rainproof, so the fastening to the rail doesn't have to be continuous. A continuous device is hard to insert. Several separate hangers would be easier to set up. Some kind of bead with a cord and hook, and grommets on the tarp would work. Slide them into the rail, then hook the shade to them.
sharpstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:24 AM   #44

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I love looking back at the resurrection history of this thread. It's got legs...

I'd definitely like an awning on my Bigfoot at some point. But it just hasn't been able to move up the priority list yet.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:44 AM   #45

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
[QUOTE=sharpstick;632263] A continuous device is hard to insert.

A friend we camp with a couple times a year rigged up a method with a rope and little pulley to pull his awning into the rail. I think he made a you tube video of it.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:46 AM   #46

Name: Chantal
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Hi James,
I'm trying to do the same thing with my boler. What is the size of your tarp?
Thank you.
Chantal
boler girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:58 AM   #47

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by boler girl View Post
Hi James,
I'm trying to do the same thing with my boler. What is the size of your tarp?
Thank you.
Chantal
Unfortunately, you'll probably have to figure that out for yourself. Or maybe someone else who's created the DIY awning has an answer.

James hasn't been logged in to FiberglassRV for a very, very long time:
Last Activity: 07-11-2010 06:32 PM
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:26 AM   #48

British Columbia
Thanks Donna.
Chantal
Old 07-16-2019, 01:50 PM   #49

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Are you looking for something along the lines of a slide-in Keder rail awning? I removed the Fiamma roll-out awning that came with my trailer and sold it. I never cared for it, so it's gone and I don't regret it or miss it. I replaced it with a length of extruded aluminum Keder rail, which I "through-bolted" to the side of the trailer. It isn't as big as the Fiamma was, but then I don't need that much awning coverage anyway. Personal preference.

I'm not sure what length awning rail you have room for, as I'm not really familiar with Bolers, but here's a good place to start if this sounds like something you might like.

Marti's Vintage Trailer Awnings

https://www.kedersolutions.com/produ...ail-90-degree/

https://www.sailrite.com/Keder-Awning-Rope-Tape

https://www.perfectfit.com/154247/pr...il-Insert.html

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_C...udlo=&_fosrp=1

Here's a few pics of mine:
Attached Thumbnails
Keder Rail2.JPG   Keder Rail3.JPG  

Vacation2018 053 (Medium).JPG  
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:00 AM   #50

British Columbia
What a beauty you have, Casita Greg!

The project that we did was install flagpole holders to the side of the boler below the side lights. With a bit of trigonometry we figured out the size that the poles should be to hold our 7' X 9' tarp. We already had the rail in place. We'll test it next week.