Reaaly sleeping 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2012, 07:19 AM   #1

Name: Isabelle
Trailer: Livin Lite Quicksilver 10
Quebec
Reaaly sleeping 6

Good morning everybody,

I'm reading you for a couples of months now. We are a family of 6 (4 kids). I would like to have a fiber rv, but can't find one that really sleep 6. I know that Casita Spirit says that you can sleep 6, but cannot find out how???

Is there a layout that can really sleep 6 personns? I don't really need the bathrrom, The kids really lioke taking there showers on campground and really, I like my porta potty. Just throw out the bag at the end of the day.

I was woundering if it is possible to find one that have de big dinette on the back, a sofa bunk on the side and another one front...that would really sleep 6. But find it use..hummmm not sure.

Does anybody ever saw that kind of layout...but made from factory?

Thank you

isabelle
Isabelle G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:29 AM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Click image for larger version

Name:	floorplans16-2.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	44192
Scamp 16'
2 adults in back
1 person in each bunk
1 person side dinette
1 person on floor
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:38 AM   #3

Quebec
OK, the 6th person sleeps on the floor <_< I was hoping to have everybody on a real bed...but ok, that's a possibility.

Thank you
Old 03-21-2012, 07:42 AM   #4

Name: James
Trailer: u-haul 13ct
Virginia
Registry
once i got to be about 12yo or so, i prefered my own tent.
lanegr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:45 AM   #5

Quebec
lanegr8, I have 4 girls...they are not really hum...courageous, doubt that they will want to sleep alone in their tent unless they have an adult with them. Maybe if we are camping n a commercial type of camping, but since qwe are often in National Park, they are afraid of bears, even if they are not really an issue down here.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:25 AM   #6

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
I think Casita still builds a floorplan with side bunks and front bunks. They are usually for rentals at military bases but you can always ask them.

Gee, and I thought I had it tough trying to sleep 2 not-so-skinny adults and 2 kids,lol.

Melissa
Old 03-21-2012, 08:43 AM   #7

Quebec
HAHAHA Melissa,

If you want some challenge, I can suggest you some...
1- Having a husband who likes it simple, small, close of nature and a wife that is trying to meet all these needs so her hubby will want a travel trailer

2-Sleeping 6 as confortably as in the Quicksilver....arguments no. 1 from hubby....

3-Something different ...yes we are ok on that one..

See, I have plenty of others if you want too
Old 03-21-2012, 09:24 AM   #8

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I have 5 kids 17B, 15G, 15G, 8G, 5B. We have a Trillium 4500. Technically it sleeps 4, but two of the kids are small enough to share one of the front bunks, or one on the floor, or under the dinette, or with any of his siblings. He likes to explore. The trick for us is the back bench in our van folds down to a bed. So, mom and dad have their own bedroom, with a TV no less.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:56 AM   #9

Quebec
David, I like that one. What kind of van do you have?
Old 03-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #10

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabelle G. View Post
David, I like that one. What kind of van do you have?
My tow vehicle is in my profile, but you might want to look at:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...7-a-49103.html

Take a look at the picture of the upper bunk above the dinette. In theory, the Trillium 4500 could sleep 6 in beds. At that point, a power vent fan would be a good idea though.

I like the scamp 16 with the front gaucho and the side dinette. I don't see any reason why you could not turn the side dinette into a gaucho style bunk bed. Then you would have beds for 6.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:51 AM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
What I have seen some people do is add sides to their awning and put cot type beds in it to hold extra guests.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:54 PM   #12

Quebec
Ho David, Thank you so much for the link...do I like reading stuff like that. I feel less like a strange bug with my 4 kids I didn't notice what your tow vehicule was sorry. On the picture where we see the Savana and the Trillium, looks like the Trillium puts a lot of weight in the back of the car, is it possible? I'm quite surprise, taught the Savana was stronger than that, but maybe it is just the picture that gives this imrpession.

Carol, never seen this, but at that point, I would bring my tent I think.

Isabelle
Old 03-21-2012, 04:15 PM   #13

Alberta
Registry
The tow vehicle is the Savana 1500 van. It is a 1996 . It was converted by a company called Vantage in Edmonton AB. They don't exist anymore. It is a travel van, as apposed to a camper van. Very comfortable seats for 7 and lots of windows. The back bench electrically reclines. It can be reclined all the way down to a bed. The fibreglass top provides additional head room so that everyone except my 17 year old son and I can stand up straight. Above the driver is a rear facing 14" CRT television and VCR, (yes, VHS). I will be replacing the television with a 19" to 24" flat screen with a Sony PS3. The VCR will stay. We have lots of kids movies on VHS, like all of Pokimon season 1, that the kids still watch.

I have seen almost exactly the same rig on line. They are out there. I would assume that the purchase price of a new one would be quite a bit more then the $7000 we paid. I drove it to Saskatchewan to pick up the Trillium. The gas consumption was no more then our 1997 Astro. With the trailer in the draft of the van, I did not notice any additional gas consumption, but I am sure that there was some.

In the pictures it does look like the trailer is too heavy, but the rear suspension required repairs. Standens (Standen's Limited :: Leaf Springs, Trailer Axles, Stabilizer Bars, Suspension Hardware, and Tillage Tools) put on new shackles, and air springs on the rear leaf spring suspension as well. The towing capacity of the van is 5000 pounds, so the 3000 pounds that we will be towing when the trailer is full should not be a problem.

P.S. Oh yea, I forgot. In the pictures the rear jacks are lifting the rear of the trailer up, forcing the tongue down. It really isn't that bad.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #14

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Scamp has Arrived - Layout 7
Minnesota
Hi Isabelle.

We just took delivery of a Scamp 16 layout 7. At most it would sleep five people and three of them would have to be kids. The side dinette is only 24 inches wide. We are using this layout for only the two of us.

I am converting the front couch/bunk into a couch/bed. The new seat back will be about 40 inches wide and completely removable instead of hinging up to become the upper bunk so that I will not have to crawl into the bottom bunk through the two support posts. We are replacing the factory lower cushions with a new foam mattress cut to fit the bed area precisely. My wife gets the rear dinette. This way we can travel with two full-time beds and still have the side dinette for eating and sitting.

Since you live in Canada you might want to check out the Taylor Coach company. They are located in Millgrove, Ontario. Taylor coaches are NOT made of fiberglass but rather are standard wood and metal construction. I suggest them because they will go to great lengths to create just the trailer you need.

Taylor Coach - Models

Take a look at the 17 foot Nik Nat Double Bunks model for starters. You could also discuss the possibility of a layout with two sets of bunks in the rear on the sides, a double dinette in the front, and the galley in the middle on the street side.

Sometimes one just needs to consider options other than our very nice FG trailers.

BTW we also have a Quicksilver 10 and have enjoyed it immensely. Very roomy, comfortable, and bright. We looked at the Camplites when we determined that we would need something that would allow us to set up and knock down quickly when moving daily on trips and also more secure in national parks. We felt that the Camplites cost more than we wanted to pay. Our current Scamp should be just the ticket for many years of easy travel. So far, we are also keeping the Quicksilver for those nearby camping trips in the summer.

Good Luck with your search.

Dan Jones
Dan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:50 PM   #15

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
19 Foot Escape
How old are your girls?
I may have a faulty memory, but I swear that I saw a 19' Escape at a past Oregon Gathering that had two "Upper Bunks" (called a "Cot" in the options list) side-by-side above the front dinette that itself could sleep 2. If that is true, the 4 kids could sleep in the front of the trailer while Mom & Dad get the Queen bed in back.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:51 PM   #16

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Talk of sleeping 6 makes me think back to the 22' Winnebago my parents bought when I was a kid. It slept 8! The rear sofa pulled out to a double bed (my parents took that), the side dinette could sleep 2, overtop the sofa was a hinged, 2-folding-panel double bed, and over the front driver's compartment another folding-panel double bed (where I slept). Those hinged panels folded right up against the front or rear wall, with the split mattress cushion stowed behind them... pretty ingenious.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:52 AM   #17

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Check out this thread: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-37240.html

Trillium once built a model with a rear "double" bunk. So, technically feasible. I bet you could have one custom made for you.
Question is... where would you put everybody's "stuff" and keep your sanity?
Old 03-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #18

Quebec
Thank you everybody...really like the Escape 19, but as for the interior, hum... not sure. I prefere the old look of a vintage or the new look of a Casita.. My opinion.

HOHOHO like the ideas of the trillium 4500...maybe I can ask for the double bunks, and a sog=fa gaucho instead of the bathroom...would be great. Looking for a used one...never know. Maybe someday, somebody got the same idea ))

And finaley, Dave, I like very very much the Savana. A parent near my place bought one in the States last year. But I think the one you bought is slightly different with the ¨roof¨. I'm trying to check this on the used market, but I think my english misses some vocabulary words so I'm trying with writting only GMC Savana mini van touring...but I'm sure there is another way to search...would you be kind enough to give me some hint what words you used to search?

Thanks everybody...let you know what will come next

Isabelle
Old 03-22-2012, 10:59 AM   #19

Quebec
HOOOO David, I found one....thank you....
Do you use it only for camping or also for your everyday thing ?

Isabelle
Old 03-22-2012, 11:12 AM   #20

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
oh my god......4.girls???? you poor thing. i barely survived one.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote