Rear Access Door with Folding Tire Mount - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2017, 12:24 PM   #1

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
Rear Access Door with Folding Tire Mount

Since I leave my bed set up, I decided last summer to install a rear access door for the Scamp to get to the last 17 inches of space I knew was back behind the roll out storage drawer I made. I wanted to use that space for seasonal/little used items that are still necessary at times. I didn’t want to give up having a spare tire, so I would also need a fold-down spare tire carrier to be able to open the door. Pics of the door are below. I didn’t take a pic of it, but I glassed in 1”x 2”wooden pieces to reinforce the opening.

Both types of tire mounts I found, rigid-type from Harbor Freight, and swing-down from Stromberg Carlson allow the tire to extend below the bumper of the camper, exposing it to damage, and the Stromberg swings down to only a 45 degree angle. Also, it did not hold a 4-lug wheel, but the H-F model did allow for 4-hole wheel. What to do!

I came across just the bracket from a Harbor Freight kit for a few bucks at a garage sale and decided to experiment with it. I cut the bottom mounting plate from it and mounted it flat on the top of the bumper, welded on two support pieces, and secured it with 4 mounting bolts, as in the pic. I formed a U-shapped post from angle iron and a strap piece of steel that I welded. Drilled holes to form a hinge at the bottom and a slot at the top, and welded the upper part of the H-F angled bracket to the post.

I moved the Scamp tire mounting bolt higher to match the slot in the post and used a Nylock nut to secure the post. The spring keeps the post and tire from moving and vibrating when traveling. The slot in the post allows any force put on the bumper from using the stabilizers for the post to slide up and down and not put stress on the fiberglass body due to a rigid mount.

The bracket allows the tire to fold down more than 90 degrees to use the access door. You can see the other square hole in the upper part of the H-F bracket that allows for the mounting of a 5-hole wheel if anyone needs it.

I just returned from a 3,500-mile trip through Utah, Nevada and California with absolutely no issues, failure, short comings or changes made to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp 003.jpg   Camper rear access door.jpg  

Scamp 001.jpg   Spare Tire Holder 001.jpg  

Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:28 PM   #2

Colorado
Registry
More pics of tire mount
Attached Thumbnails
Spare Tire Holder 002.jpg   Scamp 002.jpg  

Old 06-08-2017, 09:17 PM   #3

Colorado
Registry
Some additional information about the spare tire holder that I posted on the other thread.

The holder is clamped around the standard Scamp "L" bumper. The steel plate is thick enough, the bolts tight enough in the holes that nothing shifts. If it looks like it is going to give me any trouble, I will just weld it to the bumper.

The top bolt is a critical part of the holder. Without it, the weight of the tire would probably twist the mounting and besides, there would be no way of securing the holder in an upright position. Just trying to lock it in position with a pin down at the base would not work for long as the hole in the mild steel would just get enlarged with all the vibration and stress and the tire would shake around even more. It has to be secured at the top to minimize movement.

The top bolt is not in the original position of the Scamp tire mounting bolts. You can see those in the second photo that shows two gray spots just below the finger latch. Those are the original bold holes that have been glassed in and sanded. I drilled and raised the new securing bolt about 6 inches or so higher to where it is in the pic.

Btw, when drilling the new hole, I found there is a thin steel plate that I hit and had to drill through. No problem, but was surprised to find out one was there.

Jim
Old 06-09-2017, 08:47 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamper Jim View Post
...when drilling the new hole, I found there is a thin steel plate that I hit and had to drill through. No problem, but was surprised to find out one was there.
This may be what you encountered, or in your case a similar two-bolt version for the old 4-bolt wheels. It installs under the rat fur and through the the shell (with a glassed-in OSB reinforcement panel). I'm guessing it's similar on older Scamps, but probably plywood instead of OSB. It's very good you did hit it because it greatly strengthens the upper attachment point.
Spare Tire Mount
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spare Tire Mount.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	107132
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:15 AM   #5

Colorado
Registry
Jon,

That makes sense and solves the mystery of why there would be a metal plate in that area. It also explains how just those two bolts are able to hold the spare tire without their ripping through the fiberglass.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:51 AM   #6

Name: Courtney
Trailer: 1982 13ft Scamp purchased on May 2nd
Georgia
I'm still trying to figure out how the quick release works. Do you have to take off the tire cover?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 04:49 PM   #7

Colorado
Registry
Courtney,

I don't really have a "Quick Release" on the tire holder. When the When the post is swung up, the bolt will g into the slot in the post. Then just put a little weight against the tire to compress the spring a little, reach between the wheel and bolt and thread on the Nylock nut. when the threads reach the nylon, I use a 5/8" "S" wrench to give the nut one turn.

No need to take off the tire cover, loosen the tire or anything. There is enough clearance to tighten and loosen the nut without having to do anything else.

Jim