Rebuild Advice! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2018, 04:59 PM   #1

Name: Alaric
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Rebuild Advice!

Hello everyone! I am about to embark on a rebuild of a 16ft scamp and had some questions. I am very new and very young so bear with me!

So I was in the process of building a small camper when I came across this scamp and decided that I would rather restore it than try and make my own fiberglass shell. If there are any really good rebuild threads please send them my way!

First question; has anyone ever gotten a homemade title/registration?

I got a great deal on it because it is all painted up and has no title (you just need to register a trailer under 2000 lbs in Florida so it was just never titled). After sanding and looking all over the tongue I can’t find the VIN either (Its on the top door side bar, right?). I am probably going to just register it with the plate number or get a homemade title. I know it would hurt the resale value but I honestly don't see myself ever selling it.

(You can see where the sticker was, no vin in sight)

Second question; How important is a new axle?

It towed really well and the frame looks to be in great condition, but after doing some reading I am sure that I am overdue for a replacement. Could I add shock absorbers to help with the ride until I can take it down to Scamp (like below)? I am confident in my ability to replace the axle myself, but for the price of shipping I may as well make a road trip out of it and just have Scamp do if for me, but it is a long drive from Florida. If I do have to replace it asap or it doesn't look like it'll make it up to scamp, I will do it myself. In which case, any recommendations for where to order an axle?

(Could I do something like this?) (current axle)

Third question; is there a good example of how to redo the exterior of one of these things?

It has been painted this horrid attempt at cammo (The guy thought it looked cool :/) and I am going to get some chemical stripper for the windows and sand the entire thing. What paint would be good for the exterior? There are a few chips and the fiberglass is pitted in a few areas, is there a thick enough paint to fill these in or should I try and brush in some resin? Should I do anything to the aluminum band around the middle? Can I paint over the rivets or should I take them out, paint, and replace with stainless bolts?

(Fiberglass wear)

Fourth and final question; Air conditioning?

I’m not sure if that is the original ac considering how old the trailer looks, the fact that it's not centered on the roof, and that it looks like its a Colman. It blows kinda cold but It probably needs freon. Are the roof top ac’s worth fixing or should I just look into retrofitting a window ac unit (the trash bag over the window is where a window ac was, I am gonna put the old window back in)?

(Doesnt really look "standard") .

I am going to make this thing roadworthy, semi-gut the interior, and redo parts of the floor so I can start using it as a hard sided tent asap while I rebuild the interior bit by bit. Is there anything else I need to know? I have already learned so much from this forum and hope to learn more. Thanks!

Here are all the photos If they don't show up:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/156892388@N02/
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7464.jpg   tortion axle shock.JPG  

IMG_5860.jpg   IMG_1280.jpg  

Schlagermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 05:45 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Lots of quesitons but I'll take the easiest one.

For the A/C, if it needs refrigerant than it leaked refrigerant. Replace refrigerant and it will leak refrigerant again unless the leak is fixed. It is not likely that it needs refrigerant.

What it might well need is a good coil and fin cleaning. Not just the filter inside but the works under the hood. You can get a foaming cleaner and try that first.

The rest of your questions will receive some answers but best is to search and read as much as you have time for here. That way you get the most info and opinions. I like to use google site specific search, ex:
"Scamp floor repair site:fiberglassrv.com"
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:02 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Most states have a bonded title option...

1] You have the value appraised by a dealer.

2] You buy a bond from an insurance company.
( usually about $50 for up to $5000 in value)

3] The state then issues an original title. You get full ownership.

4] Any claim goes against the bond within its issue period.

Ask for details at your DMV.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:22 PM   #4

Registry
New axle...
Start with good tires, wait until you have towed it and check the tire wear before you start to worry about a new axle.

If/when you buy an axle, don't do a direct replacement...
Step up to a 3500# trailing arm axle with 10" brakes and 5 lug wheels.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:27 PM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Floyd.. you should know.. does that frame to tongue area look like OEM? It looks a lot different than my recent vintage Scamp and I would not know so well what an older one would look like. Maybe there is some added reinforcement at least?
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:29 PM   #6

Registry
Scrub it with a strong solution of car wash soap using purple Scotchbrite as a "sponge".
If you are on a budget you can get a nice finish using micro-rollers and Perma-White paint from Zinsser.
Great coverage and finish, mildew proof and primerless.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:32 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Floyd.. you should know.. does that frame to tongue area look like OEM? It looks a lot different than my recent vintage Scamp and I would not know so well what an older one would look like. Maybe there is some added reinforcement at least?
Probably the stock frame rails, but the "tray area" has been removed and it definitely has a replacement coupler.
Wrong one IMO. That looks like a coupler made for a straight tube tongue not properly installed. Maybe strong enough but who knows?
Don't know what that outside reinforcement is but
I would replace the coupler and reinstall the the "tray area".
Old 10-02-2018, 06:41 PM   #8

Registry
That's a Coleman Mini-Mach It is a great A/C and it can be serviced/ repaired.
Unlike many of the new A/Cs.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:42 PM   #9

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Just realize that the cabinets inside the trailer are a major portion of the support. So if you remove something, you need to replace it with something else that can provide the same supports. Many FG trailers are not self supporting. Instead, the interior cabinets/benches, and so on are part of the integrity of the trailer.

Many older roofs were not designed to support the weight of a roof AC. That may be why you have the structure on top of the roof right now.

I had a homemade trailer title on a prior trailer I owned. Made registration fees much cheaper in the state I was in. Did not affect resale.

These trailers were originally not made with shocks, and I personally would not go to that added expense. Axles do wear out and someone posted earlier on how to test them.

Personally, I'd keep the roof air, but sort out the support (or lack of). I do not like AC units that are stuck out windows. Roof air is out of the way. May be able to fiberglass in a piece of plywood into the roof (inside the trailer). I'd do some thought on it.

I bought a magnetic set of trailer lights at Harbor Freight, $18.99 less 20% off with a coupon. Money well spent as when I picked my trailer up, half the lights weren't working.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:44 PM   #10

Registry
In my experience, DOT taillight wiring is best replaced stem to stern, otherwise you will likely be driving with bad lights and doing a lot of minor repairs.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:09 AM   #11

Name: Alaric
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Lots of quesitons but I'll take the easiest one.

For the A/C, if it needs refrigerant than it leaked refrigerant. Replace refrigerant and it will leak refrigerant again unless the leak is fixed. It is not likely that it needs refrigerant.

What it might well need is a good coil and fin cleaning. Not just the filter inside but the works under the hood. You can get a foaming cleaner and try that first.

The rest of your questions will receive some answers but best is to search and read as much as you have time for here. That way you get the most info and opinions. I like to use google site specific search, ex:
"Scamp floor repair site:fiberglassrv.com"
The google site specific search is so helpful, So much good information! Thanks!
Schlagermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:10 AM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlagermeister View Post
The google site specific search is so helpful, So much good information! Thanks!
You can do the same thing using the internal "Site Search/Google" option. It's located at the bottom of the "Search" menu in the blue task bar near the top of the screen. It's only available on the website, not the mobile app.

Happy searching!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:43 AM   #13

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
any title related questions are entirely state specific, what we do here in California has little or no bearing on what you might have to do in Florida.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote