Rebuild of 1988 Casita 16 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-18-2017, 09:34 PM   #15

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
Had a few minutes waiting for Polyurethane to dry one bedroom floor, so went out and looked the A/C over. Ended up taking it out of the back window, and also took off a bunch of other odds and ends from PO several owners ago. He really loved silicone. Will have a time getting it all off, but the A/C is out. It works, so will probably find a way to use it. Have been thinking of a temporary mount in the front cabinet but will need to see how the rebuild of that goes. Will post some pics of the work before long, but for now, just enjoying actually spending a little time with it. tomorrow it is back to plumbing, tile and toilet work. done with the bathroom demo, not putting it all back together.

EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:07 AM   #16

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: 1991 16' Casita
North Carolina
This is one heck of a project Eric, good luck and enjoy!!

Jonathan

p.s: I learned a lot about the flexible nature of these eggs on my project, and while I'm closing in on getting my door to finally seal completely it's been quite an ordeal. I'd expect that your approach will yield better results, fingers crossed!

shaggydoink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:20 AM   #17

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Sure am enjoying this rebuild thread!
lisantica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:34 PM   #18

Illinois
back floor out

I took some time out today to work on the camper. floor was drying, and won't put in quarter round till tomorrow, and then will lay tile in bathroom, but this afternoon worked on the camper. Got the PM back from shaggydoink about how he did floor, and tried it with a little modification. After getting out the major hunks of wood, I got out the electric planer, and finished it off. That worked really well, but will need a new blade before I use it on other wood. Found a couple of screws that the heads had popped off, so I ground those down (a little smoke from the grinder and the wood) but then it took the rest off great. Cleaned out the rest of the stuff, and tomorrow after tile, will take the rest of the floor out. Then a trip to Home Depot for some OSB and will put it back in. Plan on putting down some rosin over everything, and a little fiberglass, then rosin, and the OSB. Will fill the edges with rosin and fiberglass, and glass across the outside edges, and rosin over the whole floor.
Attached Thumbnails
Aug 19 floor started.jpg   aug 19 floor cleans up.jpg  

aug 19 back clean.jpg   outside decals off.jpg  

Old 08-24-2017, 04:18 PM   #19

Illinois
Today I worked on the camper again. I needed to let the grout dry so -- time to see about getting the inside cleaned up. Posted about how to get the glue residue off, and had some helpful suggestions.

After trying several things, sandpaper didn't work -- it was like trying to sand "silly putty." There was a lot of soft sticky stuff, and finally got out the power washer (3400 psi) and a 15 degree nozzle, and worked about 3-4 inches away and it peeled off pretty well -- of course I was wet in seconds, but I was amazed at how well the stuff came off. Don't think I would have done this is I wasn't replacing the whole floor anyway. And as long as I was hitting it, I did the floor and marked where the last several bolts were. Looks like I will need about a day to finish. Only worked a couple of hours today before the gas ran out.
Attached Thumbnails

Old 08-24-2017, 04:23 PM   #20

Illinois
Next I will finish the inside, then take out the floor. Since it is wet from the powerwasher, I think it will break apart a little more. Looks like there are a number of spots that were not very good, and there was a lot of water absorbed. Also noticed a few spots to fix, and some more things to think about. I got the cabinet by the door ready for bracing and the pieces of shower wall cleaned up, and ready for some support. Since I don't have the shower sections that go around the curved wall, I will need to work something out for that.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:08 PM   #21

Name: Buggeee
Trailer: Playpac
OH
That is looking good! Glad you found the ticket with that power washer... Let the tools do the work!

By the way, you better contact the factory and call off the arranged wedding... You're going to have quite an attachment to this mistress of yours by the time you're through this adventure with her.
Buggeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:54 PM   #22

Illinois
I have till October, so thought I would wait a little in case I find something really bad with the frame when I lift it. I towed fine coming home. Wonder if anyone would like my time slot with Scamp -- Jan 15th -- 13, with big bed, A/C and bath... don't know if Scamp does that.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:26 PM   #23

Illinois
Power washer done

finished the power washing of the inside today. Glad that job is over. The inside is now free of most of the stuff that was on the walls. I will let the inside dry and see about finishing the floors tomorrow. The back one is out, and the others won't take very long, I don't think. Dentist tomorrow, so we'll see how I feel after the root canal. There is a little stuff that will be sanded off, and I think I will put a light coat of epoxy over some of the loose fibers, but then it is one to fixing the cabinets and building some support for the roof.
Attached Thumbnails
Aug 30 17 finished wash (1).jpg   Aug 30 17 finished wash (2).jpg  

Aug 30 17 finished wash (3).jpg  
Old 09-05-2017, 05:48 PM   #24

Illinois
Demo done

Well, I think we are at the end of the demo work -- all is off the floor, and the body and frame are separated. I noticed while I was working that there were a couple of places where the floor was buckled, and a little lifted up. So will set it flat on plywood when it comes back down, and make sure that the floor and the fiberglass are both solid together. While working I also noticed that I had no grey tank, never thought about the fact that there was a hole to the ground -- never registered that is where the tank is supposed to be -- so now I will order one, and have it in a few days. While I have it separated, I am going to wire brush it all and repaint the frame. There are some holes on the floor of the fiberglass and I will be fixing all that. Looks like a couple of days of stuff before I am ready to get it all back together.
Attached Thumbnails
sep 9 17 frame start.jpg   sep 9 17 on blocks side.jpg  

Sep 9 17 up on blocks.jpg  
Old 09-06-2017, 12:51 PM   #25

Name: Buggeee
Trailer: Playpac
OH
Standing on the floor of something great. Good feeling to be at that tipping point. Building brings momentum. Enjoy.
Buggeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 03:48 PM   #26

Illinois
Thanks -- I love what you did with yours, the floor was what gave me the idea for painting the walls with the epoxy paint, except I won't put in the color chips, and I am using a color that will go with the carpet I am putting on the walls.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:08 PM   #27

Illinois
Beautiful day outside today -- nice day to work on the frame. Wire brushed the frame to get rid of the loose stuff, then used a Rust-o-lium primer "rust reformatter" that is supposed to convert the rust into a protection. Don't know the chemistry but tried it out. Worked well. It was nice to have a little hill in the back yard, so I could extend the frame over it to easily get under it. Then for the front, a piece of PVC lifted it higher in front, and the hill let the back end go down, so that let me easily get under the front.
Attached Thumbnails
sep 9 17 wire brushed.jpg   sep 9 17 paint.jpg  

Sep 9 17 painting.jpg   sep 9 17 frame done.jpg  

Old 09-08-2017, 05:15 PM   #28

Illinois
After the painting was done, time to start looking over the parts, and figure what I will need to make, and what will need repaired, and what will work. I had purchased a larger grey water tank, but when I went to put it into the frame, It was not going to work. The top of the tank would be above the frame, and if something happened, I would have to take the body off to work on it, and it hung really a little to close to the ground, so I will order the smaller one from Casita and install it next week. The gas in the stove works, and the door is not too bad, the vent hood needs a filter, and there are a lot of other "little things" that will need to be done as I start putting it back together. I am hopeful that the body and frame will go back together tomorrow, and I can start the floor finish work. Then electrical -- and I could go camping -- but probably will wait till more gets done.
Attached Thumbnails
sep 9 17 sorting parts.jpg   sep 9 17 door started.jpg  

Tags
casita