Rebuild of 1988 Casita 16 - Page 8 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2017, 09:31 PM   #141

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
Thanks!
I think it will be warm in the winter, and help with the A/C in the summer. Just have to get it done. Got the frame back from the shop yesterday, so when I have finished the insulation and carpet, and the floor, I will bolt it on the the frame and do the fan, and be ready to go. The weather forecast is for snow tomorrow, and family is in for the next week, so will likely not do a lot in the next few days. (Christmas break)
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 10:45 AM   #142

Name: Michael
Trailer: Casita 16ft.
California
Eric, I would love to see some photos of your frame before it goes under your body. I am especially curious about your larger grey water tank as I am just beginning to look at that on my trailer..
Nor Cal Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 01:50 AM   #143

Illinois
I will post them when I get the snow off Not a lot but does make a nice white Christmas.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:20 PM   #144

Illinois
Well, got the frame back from the shop. They replaced the axle with a 3500lb one, and there is a slight bend in it. I know that someone was asking about it before, and it is there new from the factory. It is a much smaller size, and I think much lighter as well. I also had them do a couple of things. In the pics, you can see along the side a piece of flat steel following the frame, that will strengthen the place where everything flexes over the wheels, and help with the frame. The little square tabs welded into the corners are for bolting the shell to the frame. The grey tank will mount on the section just after the shower drain, and for that to work, they dropped the cross supports a 1/4 of an inch, and then put a couple of end angles in for support. It should all sit flat and tight.

I will drill holes through the steel squares, and then up through the floor. I am going to use 5/16 bolts, and drill a 3/8 hole, and use lock nuts on the bottom.
Attached Thumbnails
2018-01-03 13.42.14.jpg   2018-01-03 13.42.26.jpg  

2018-01-03 13.42.57.jpg   2018-01-03 13.43.25.jpg  

Old 01-03-2018, 02:24 PM   #145

Illinois
I think I missed the one with the axle
Attached Thumbnails
2018-01-03 13.42.21.jpg  
Old 01-03-2018, 02:56 PM   #146

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
work and more work

eric lots of work but great progress. my scamper has a 22in add on to the tongue haven't decided if I like it yet but I can open the back of the edge and not worry.

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:53 PM   #147

Illinois
I thought about a mod to the front to lengthen, but may wait a little and see how it pulls. Got some real work to do learning how to back up with a trailer again. I built a 12' trailer to haul canoes and all the packs, etc. when we would river float and camp, but haven't done that for a while, and need to work on the backing again. I am going to use a tankless outside for the shower, and may need to build a rack for that and lengthen the tongue.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:54 PM   #148

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricAllyn View Post
I am going to use a tankless outside for the shower, and may need to build a rack for that and lengthen the tongue.
Your chassis looks great Eric. I have been toying around with a similar idea for a tankless WH on my Casita. We have been using them for about 25 years in our house and wouldn't consider going back to the old fashion tank heaters again. I actually bought one of the little portable camping ones several years back as a temporary stand-in for one of the two that we have in our house. I think the daily use was too much for it because it quit after awhile. When I took it into my local gas appliance repair shop to get it repaired, the guy wouldn't touch it. I think he was a little miffed at my going around him and purchasing a WH on the internet instead of from him. I wound up junking that one but it came with a lot of great features that would work well on our trailers. First, it is designed to hang on a fencepost or pole. It comes set up with a short exhaust vent and weather cap designed to be moved around. It also had a quick connect garden hose attachment that could be easily adapted to use on the exterior of a trailer. I really only need hot water for the shower, so if it were mounted on the trailer tongue, the plumbing would be short and sweet. One thought I am working on is to figure out a way to mount a metal pole on the tongue of my trailer that would double as a bike rack. In that case I would use the quick disconnects to store the WH inside the trailer or the back of the car while in transit and hang the bike from the same pole for travel while the WH is stowed.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:13 PM   #149

Illinois
I think the thing I like about it is that you only take the hot water in -- so I have two holes in the front -- cold out, Hot in. I have a propane in, and electrical in, so they are all there at the same area. I used some connector things that I got on Amazon, and I think it will all be sealed nicely. I also put a lot of shut-off valves into the water lines to be able to control what gets water.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:54 AM   #150

California
You should keep in mind the GPM ratings of the on-demand WH while shopping if you plan to run your on-demand HW system while boondocking on 12v. My experience with on-demand WH's, having had two of them in my the house for 25 years, tells me that not all on demand WH are the same. Some will not fire up on really low flow. Others will fire up but will shut down if the water flow is insufficient due to overheating. Because we use low flow shower heads in our house (water ain't cheap in California) we have had some issues with some types of WH's.

Ecotemp was the brand of, hang on a fence post, HW heater that I mentioned using in my previous posting. The description here says that will fire at 1.4 gpm. That is in line with the flows one would not want to exceed while boondocking. EccoTemp L5 Portable Tankless Water Heater - Eccotemp L5 - Water Heaters - Camping World

Campingworld also sells an indoor/outdoor WH that fires up at 1.6 gpm. but it has some kind of fancy oxygen sensor that allows it to be used indoors without a flue vent. I am wary of the more complicated WH's for hanging from a post use because it has one more part to go wrong. Excel Vent-Free Tankless Propane Water Heater, Low Pressure Startup, 1.6GPM - Excelamerica Llc 10011 - Water Heaters - Camping World
Old 01-05-2018, 11:46 AM   #151

Missouri
mike we put a tankless propane water heater in our house it has been an experience. frankly I don't think I would do it again but it doesn't look like the tankless will every wear out!

bob
Old 01-05-2018, 12:23 PM   #152

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
mike we put a tankless propane water heater in our house it has been an experience. frankly I don't think I would do it again but it doesn't look like the tankless will every wear out!

bob
True the heater unit itself probably will never wear out but they have more internal parts and sensors that do eventually need to be replaced. The problem I have had is that over time, the manufacturers move on to other designs and quit supplying parts for their older models. The key to on demand heaters for RV use is between old school / new school technology. The original heaters had simple pilot lights of battery powered pizo detonators to light the burners. More modern ones have more fancy technology and often require 110v AC power to operate. The former is what you want for Eric's and my plan of use. The simpler the better.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:28 PM   #153

Missouri
tankless heater

my tankless has the battery for lighting so very simple. I am rebuilding an old Vermont castings gas stove. I took out everything went to a new gas valve with a standing pilot and am going to just light it off with a match. the pilot will stay on starting middle of nov until spring.

I called the manufacture of our ventless heater they said gas usage of a standing pilot not worth turning off and on constantly so I leave the pilot on all the time!

I put in a new furnace it has a glow plug that stays on constantly while the gas is on I wonder how many circuit boards are in there?

kiss principle everytime for me!!!

bob
Old 01-05-2018, 10:36 PM   #154

Illinois
I did get the one that allows for the lessor flow, thinking that I don't have a lot of water space anyway. Mostly it will be for the quick shower on days when we have been out a lot and dusty, sweaty, etc. Also thinking if we are hooked up, might be good to rinse off outside quickly after coming back from the beach.

Tomorrow we start putting up the carpet. The insulation is all up, and will carpet, then hopefully floor, and wrap up a lot of odds and ends.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:33 AM   #155

Illinois
Carpet

Well, got all but a couple of little pieces in of the carpet, will look at how that goes tomorrow. Generally happy with results, but first ones were a little less than perfect. Got a lot better when I did the side Pam will be sleeping on .
Also started the lay out of the flooring to see how it would work best. Looks like I will need some more flooring though.
Attached Thumbnails
2018-01-06 19.02.35.jpg   2018-01-06 19.02.42.jpg  

2018-01-06 19.02.59.jpg   2018-01-06 19.03.06.jpg  

Old 01-07-2018, 12:39 AM   #156

Illinois
The previous pics are of the first big piece I put up. Started in the center, and glued it in the miidle, smoothing as I worked to the sides. Smoothed all the way to the top of the windows, which was a natural break. The carpet it pretty light, I got it at Home Depot, 6 x 8 sections -- $18 -- bought three which will be good for all the surfaces, and even some for the insides of the closets, and will cover the reflextic that will go in the windows when we cold camp. You can see the lower section with that. Below are some pictures of the completed carpet, and a picture of the flooring laid out to see how it will go.
Attached Thumbnails
2018-01-07 00.08.46.jpg   2018-01-07 00.09.02.jpg  

2018-01-07 00.09.11.jpg   2018-01-07 00.26.13.jpg  

Old 01-07-2018, 12:40 AM   #157

Illinois
I also put the window covering on the back window, and will do the sides tomorrow afternoon.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:34 AM   #158

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Eric, I'm sure you're doing it but when installing carpet with seams that touch, the grain has to be kept in the same direction. A very low knap commercial type carpet will show a different color tone from the grain angle and with a standard carpet it'll look like the part in your hair . I'm not going to say how I know this .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 09:46 AM   #159

California
Looks like when the weather breaks, you will be ready for a well earned camping trip. Looking good!
Old 01-07-2018, 04:45 PM   #160

Illinois
It is a small loop carpet, and I have it all running the same way. The curves in the walls were a challenge I did not always meet successfully but I think it will hold up well, and be very serviceable. I realized as the carpet was going on that the insulation under it was not as smooth as I wanted it, and there were a few places that I could have done better with. Not enough to rip it all out and do it again. May in 5 years when it has a little wear on it, and we want a different color scheme. Working of the door today, and the floor. Will drill holes in the mounting plates on the frame tomorrow, and hopefully mount it back on the frame on Wednesday. Realized I don't have enough flooring, so ordered another box, but won't be here till end of January. This spring when it is warm outside, I will have a lot of things to work on, little things.
For now, finish what flooring I have, carpet on the door, mount it, and fill a few holes outside, get a new battery, and go camping!!

Tags
casita