Rebuild of 1988 Casita 16 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-09-2017, 12:39 PM   #1

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
Rebuild of 1988 Casita 16

I have been reading a lot of the threads on rebuilds, and while I have a Scamp on order of a Jan 2018 delivery, I really got the bug to rebuild. I will leave the scamp on order for a little while, since the bug may turn out to bite me! I think it will be fun, even though I don't know much about FG but have done woodworking and house remodeling and construction on the homes I have lived it. So will try a camper now. I bought this from the forum here, and enjoyed going to get it, and the PV was a very nice couple, and we enjoyed a nice visit while there. Towing it home, it was recognized in a parking lot, and had a nice chat with a couple who drove by to notice it. I have looked a lot on the road to see them, and only once have I noticed them. Now I have been noticed. I suspect there will be many helpful thoughts as I go through this. Will post as I go along. But first, wife says I must finish the bathroom remodel I am in the middle of! Good thing I'm retired....

Old 08-09-2017, 01:05 PM   #2

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Just a hunch, I bet you're going to end up loving the one you rebuild!

Old 08-09-2017, 02:30 PM   #3

Illinois
Thanks

Thanks, I think it will be both very educational as well as enjoyable to rebuild -- and the fun camping is the icing on the cake!
Old 08-09-2017, 10:01 PM   #4

Name: Buggeee
Trailer: Playpac
OH
How about a "before" picture to hold interest in your thread while you finish the bathroom?
Buggeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:05 AM   #5

Name: Lynn
Trailer: Casita Spirit 16'
Indiana
What is your configuration? I have Casita 16' Spirit with gouchos front and side that convert to 4 bunk beds.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:42 PM   #6

Illinois
no configuration yet

I don't really have a "configuration" since it is completely apart. We will put a queen bed in the back, and keep as much open as possible. I am going to try to post some pics here to show where things are at. Hope it works
Old 08-11-2017, 02:52 PM   #7

Illinois
I will try this again
Attached Thumbnails
parked at Campsite.jpg   Parts inside.jpg  

Old 08-11-2017, 03:00 PM   #8

Illinois
We just set them in when we picked it from the PO and went a couple of miles to where we were camping. I sorted everything out, and looked it over then packed it back in for the trip home the next day. We looked at the awning and rolled it -- I sat under it for a while, so Pam could take a pic for the kids, then we lit a fire, sat back and relaxed the rest of the day. Left the next morning for home. I unpacked everything, and got it in the garage, then started on the bathroom upstairs to finish the tile shower. Just about done with that, then will tear apart the downstairs, to do that one. I am going to slip in and work on the camper a little at a time till those other projects are done. Have fiberglass and epoxy coming from Amazon (don't you love free shipping, and 2 day service) today, as well as a new water tank, since I don't know how long the other sat, and drinking water is one thing that is pretty important! Will redo the floor in a couple of places and the rebuild some of the supports. I noticed on another thread that he tried to get the door to fit right, and then put supports in and everything changed, so I am going to go the other way, support everything to make sure the door is right. Will also fill a lot of little holes -- going to try to get every glassed in rather than rivets everywhere.
Weel, back to the bathrooms
Old 08-11-2017, 04:06 PM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Hi Eric, you do understand that the original cabinets are what supports the roof. That may be the reason your door is off. From reading other posts from members that gutted their eggs and towed them to a paint shop, they looked like a bowl of jelly with body flex/movement.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:12 PM   #10

Illinois
support

I know that the support is needed. Some of the Cabs will go back in, and will also be making a laminated curved support for the sides that are open. I saw the idea on one of the threads. (sorry to whoever gave me the idea, I don't remember to give credit) I want to do all the support and also, want to use glassed support inside to mount the cabs and other things. Want to get it solid, and without the rivets all over the side. Also I think by keeping the ceiling braced well, it will hold the ceiling height better.
Attached Thumbnails
in the back patio.jpg   inside front.jpg  

inside stack.jpg   inside now.jpg  

Old 08-11-2017, 06:22 PM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Sounds like you have things well in hand Eric. Take a lot of pics for us as you go along .
Old 08-11-2017, 07:13 PM   #12

Name: Buggeee
Trailer: Playpac
OH
Wow EricAllyn you've got your hands full there! Suppose in a glass is half full respect someone has already done the dissasebly for you!!! Enjoy the journey. It will be satisfying.
Buggeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:40 PM   #13

Illinois
Aug 13 17

had some time today since demo of the bathroom starts tomorrow. Worked on floor a little and took some junk off the cabs. Holes everywhere! Also got the electrical started .. need to see what I have there, and took front Propane tanks off to look at dates, etc
Attached Thumbnails
Aug 13 17 cab holes.jpg   Aug 13 17 cab.jpg  

Aug 13 17 outside front.jpg   Aug 13 17 front.jpg  

Old 08-13-2017, 08:43 PM   #14

Illinois
floor

Several bad spots in the floor, and looked it over and removed some sections, will take more out later, and think about whether to take it all out, and take shell off of the frame, to scrape, paint, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Aug 13 17.jpg   Aug 13 17 side.jpg  

Tags
casita