Rebuild of 1988 Casita 16 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2017, 11:39 AM   #1

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
Rebuild of 1988 Casita 16

I have been reading a lot of the threads on rebuilds, and while I have a Scamp on order of a Jan 2018 delivery, I really got the bug to rebuild. I will leave the scamp on order for a little while, since the bug may turn out to bite me! I think it will be fun, even though I don't know much about FG but have done woodworking and house remodeling and construction on the homes I have lived it. So will try a camper now. I bought this from the forum here, and enjoyed going to get it, and the PV was a very nice couple, and we enjoyed a nice visit while there. Towing it home, it was recognized in a parking lot, and had a nice chat with a couple who drove by to notice it. I have looked a lot on the road to see them, and only once have I noticed them. Now I have been noticed. I suspect there will be many helpful thoughts as I go through this. Will post as I go along. But first, wife says I must finish the bathroom remodel I am in the middle of! Good thing I'm retired....
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:05 PM   #2

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Just a hunch, I bet you're going to end up loving the one you rebuild!
lisantica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:30 PM   #3

Illinois
Thanks

Thanks, I think it will be both very educational as well as enjoyable to rebuild -- and the fun camping is the icing on the cake!
Old 08-09-2017, 09:01 PM   #4

Name: Buggeee
Trailer: Playpac
OH
How about a "before" picture to hold interest in your thread while you finish the bathroom?
Buggeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:05 PM   #5

Name: Lynn
Trailer: Casita Spirit 16'
Indiana
What is your configuration? I have Casita 16' Spirit with gouchos front and side that convert to 4 bunk beds.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:42 PM   #6

Illinois
no configuration yet

I don't really have a "configuration" since it is completely apart. We will put a queen bed in the back, and keep as much open as possible. I am going to try to post some pics here to show where things are at. Hope it works
Old 08-11-2017, 01:52 PM   #7

Illinois
I will try this again
Attached Thumbnails
parked at Campsite.jpg   Parts inside.jpg  

Old 08-11-2017, 02:00 PM   #8

Illinois
We just set them in when we picked it from the PO and went a couple of miles to where we were camping. I sorted everything out, and looked it over then packed it back in for the trip home the next day. We looked at the awning and rolled it -- I sat under it for a while, so Pam could take a pic for the kids, then we lit a fire, sat back and relaxed the rest of the day. Left the next morning for home. I unpacked everything, and got it in the garage, then started on the bathroom upstairs to finish the tile shower. Just about done with that, then will tear apart the downstairs, to do that one. I am going to slip in and work on the camper a little at a time till those other projects are done. Have fiberglass and epoxy coming from Amazon (don't you love free shipping, and 2 day service) today, as well as a new water tank, since I don't know how long the other sat, and drinking water is one thing that is pretty important! Will redo the floor in a couple of places and the rebuild some of the supports. I noticed on another thread that he tried to get the door to fit right, and then put supports in and everything changed, so I am going to go the other way, support everything to make sure the door is right. Will also fill a lot of little holes -- going to try to get every glassed in rather than rivets everywhere.
Weel, back to the bathrooms
Old 08-11-2017, 03:06 PM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Hi Eric, you do understand that the original cabinets are what supports the roof. That may be the reason your door is off. From reading other posts from members that gutted their eggs and towed them to a paint shop, they looked like a bowl of jelly with body flex/movement.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:12 PM   #10

Illinois
support

I know that the support is needed. Some of the Cabs will go back in, and will also be making a laminated curved support for the sides that are open. I saw the idea on one of the threads. (sorry to whoever gave me the idea, I don't remember to give credit) I want to do all the support and also, want to use glassed support inside to mount the cabs and other things. Want to get it solid, and without the rivets all over the side. Also I think by keeping the ceiling braced well, it will hold the ceiling height better.
Attached Thumbnails
in the back patio.jpg   inside front.jpg  

inside stack.jpg   inside now.jpg  

Old 08-11-2017, 05:22 PM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Sounds like you have things well in hand Eric. Take a lot of pics for us as you go along .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:13 PM   #12

Name: Buggeee
Trailer: Playpac
OH
Wow EricAllyn you've got your hands full there! Suppose in a glass is half full respect someone has already done the dissasebly for you!!! Enjoy the journey. It will be satisfying.
Buggeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:40 PM   #13

Illinois
Aug 13 17

had some time today since demo of the bathroom starts tomorrow. Worked on floor a little and took some junk off the cabs. Holes everywhere! Also got the electrical started .. need to see what I have there, and took front Propane tanks off to look at dates, etc
Attached Thumbnails
Aug 13 17 cab holes.jpg   Aug 13 17 cab.jpg  

Aug 13 17 outside front.jpg   Aug 13 17 front.jpg  

Old 08-13-2017, 07:43 PM   #14

Illinois
floor

Several bad spots in the floor, and looked it over and removed some sections, will take more out later, and think about whether to take it all out, and take shell off of the frame, to scrape, paint, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Aug 13 17.jpg   Aug 13 17 side.jpg  

Old 08-18-2017, 09:34 PM   #15

Illinois
Had a few minutes waiting for Polyurethane to dry one bedroom floor, so went out and looked the A/C over. Ended up taking it out of the back window, and also took off a bunch of other odds and ends from PO several owners ago. He really loved silicone. Will have a time getting it all off, but the A/C is out. It works, so will probably find a way to use it. Have been thinking of a temporary mount in the front cabinet but will need to see how the rebuild of that goes. Will post some pics of the work before long, but for now, just enjoying actually spending a little time with it. tomorrow it is back to plumbing, tile and toilet work. done with the bathroom demo, not putting it all back together.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:07 AM   #16

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: 1991 16' Casita
North Carolina
This is one heck of a project Eric, good luck and enjoy!!

Jonathan

p.s: I learned a lot about the flexible nature of these eggs on my project, and while I'm closing in on getting my door to finally seal completely it's been quite an ordeal. I'd expect that your approach will yield better results, fingers crossed!
shaggydoink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:20 AM   #17

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Sure am enjoying this rebuild thread!
lisantica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:34 PM   #18

Illinois
back floor out

I took some time out today to work on the camper. floor was drying, and won't put in quarter round till tomorrow, and then will lay tile in bathroom, but this afternoon worked on the camper. Got the PM back from shaggydoink about how he did floor, and tried it with a little modification. After getting out the major hunks of wood, I got out the electric planer, and finished it off. That worked really well, but will need a new blade before I use it on other wood. Found a couple of screws that the heads had popped off, so I ground those down (a little smoke from the grinder and the wood) but then it took the rest off great. Cleaned out the rest of the stuff, and tomorrow after tile, will take the rest of the floor out. Then a trip to Home Depot for some OSB and will put it back in. Plan on putting down some rosin over everything, and a little fiberglass, then rosin, and the OSB. Will fill the edges with rosin and fiberglass, and glass across the outside edges, and rosin over the whole floor.
Attached Thumbnails
Aug 19 floor started.jpg   aug 19 floor cleans up.jpg  

aug 19 back clean.jpg   outside decals off.jpg  

Old 08-24-2017, 04:18 PM   #19

Illinois
Today I worked on the camper again. I needed to let the grout dry so -- time to see about getting the inside cleaned up. Posted about how to get the glue residue off, and had some helpful suggestions.

After trying several things, sandpaper didn't work -- it was like trying to sand "silly putty." There was a lot of soft sticky stuff, and finally got out the power washer (3400 psi) and a 15 degree nozzle, and worked about 3-4 inches away and it peeled off pretty well -- of course I was wet in seconds, but I was amazed at how well the stuff came off. Don't think I would have done this is I wasn't replacing the whole floor anyway. And as long as I was hitting it, I did the floor and marked where the last several bolts were. Looks like I will need about a day to finish. Only worked a couple of hours today before the gas ran out.
Attached Thumbnails

Old 08-24-2017, 04:23 PM   #20

Illinois
Next I will finish the inside, then take out the floor. Since it is wet from the powerwasher, I think it will break apart a little more. Looks like there are a number of spots that were not very good, and there was a lot of water absorbed. Also noticed a few spots to fix, and some more things to think about. I got the cabinet by the door ready for bracing and the pieces of shower wall cleaned up, and ready for some support. Since I don't have the shower sections that go around the curved wall, I will need to work something out for that.

Tags
casita