Rebuild of a Trillium Sportsman - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2013, 11:26 AM   #21

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
You guys crack me up.

You also remind me of my Father-in-Law, who removed the guard from the weedeater so he could cut a bigger swath...I found this out when I asked him why he wrapped cardboard around his shins when he was getting ready to "do some yardwork"!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:35 PM   #22

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
hi Fred lots of good racing At the Motorplex speedway MotoPlex Speedway + Event Park Two trailer races this year one in June the other in Aug. they are hit to pass trailer racing and are a blast to watch. A couple of vintage ones last year got wrecked, was a shame. I heard that the bandage procedure for fingers or whatever goes like - find alcohol to diinfect cut then drink alcohol to disinfect the mind. put on bandage then continue drinking alcohol until the cut is diinfected from the inside out. LOL
Ryan
ryan parsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #23

just got the ensolite I can hardly believe after 3 months it is finally here and I can touch it. Looks real close to the old boler stuff just the difference of the outer skin. It shall be installed in the coming days. I am sure glad most of the other stuff is done and just ready for final fits after ensolite installed. I made all the window inner frames over the winter and all stained and clear coated. the pictures are of the windows showing the inside face with the window screen frames (which I cut down from larger ones) The wood frames are the inside pieces that the outside mounting screws drill into. I made the front window one also as the front window gets the same treatment as all the rest of the stuff- out it comes reseal and reinstall with new inner frame. Even the cieling vent comes out then reseal and reinstall after the ensolite is installed. Can hardly wait I want to do it all right this minute!!!
Ryan
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0841.JPG   IMG_0843.JPG  

IMG_0845.JPG   IMG_0842.JPG  

IMG_0844.JPG  
Old 04-22-2013, 09:24 AM   #24

Now that I have the ensolite and the 4 cans of hp15 spray adhesive warming up just have to install. One little problem I discovered when about to wash off the grime on old paint to start ensolite is that the last coat of paint had not stuck to the previous coats of paint. Bummer!!! Just more work as the paint had to be removed. Out with the grinder with flexible sanding disc and 80 grit paper, mask, goggles and 4- 5 hours later paint was mostly gone. What a dusty mess it made. got a little itchy towards end of job but it is done. Pictures show the problem then the others are of job done, also took one of the roll of ensolite from Trillium USA. It is still cold here in the am -2.5c at 7 am today so will have to wait for test piece glue up until this afternoon.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0930.JPG   IMG_0932.JPG  

IMG_0929.JPG  
Old 04-22-2013, 10:03 AM   #25

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Did Tom give you any pointers for working with the Ensolite, (or it's reasonable facsimile)?
I understand that heat helps stretch the Ensolite, but I have no idea really. I have to think that this is a process that one would benefit from experience with.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #26

Good morning David
I didn't ask Tom anything about the installation. I have a pretty good handle on the problem. I did some rat fur installation in some of Waterway's Houseboats a few years ago and I think apart from the weight and bulk it has to be close as to procedure for getting it up without any wrinkles.
I have pictured in the back of my mind a fellow (possibly myself) who has the stuff stuck all over himself, like walking into a fly sticky tape. Believe me I do not want that to happen although my wife will post pictures if that happens, (darn her) and you will hear the laughter in Alberta from her here.
The first piece is 18 ft long and goes straight down the middle of the ceiling from top of rear door to top of front bench seat. The front window is now ready to remove and will remove roof vent also for this. I am going to glue the center up first and then work myself outward and rearward then the front last, will glue as I go then trim edges with edge trowel and razor knife. I will post pictures as I go, Deb will have the camera out waiting to catch Ryan all stuck on sticky ensolite. LOL
Old 04-22-2013, 12:54 PM   #27

Alberta
Registry
I look forward to it, (either way).
Old 04-22-2013, 06:26 PM   #28

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Wishing you well and successful Ryan Just make sure to cover your hair, that glue is sticky stuff!!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:30 PM   #29

Hi Donna
A hat is definately in order. I need to keep the few gray ones I have left. I did a test piece today with a old piece of ensolite from a Boler I once had. I tried to tear it off to see how well the subsurface is. I just ripped the edges off when pulling it . I had to scrape the piece off. So test was a success this led to finishing the dismantle and I pulled the roof vent off and the small side window and front window and awning. The pictures are of ensolite test piece with ripped edges and pictures of vent and windows removed. tomorrow final vacuum and wipe down and general cleanup then Wednesday afternoon the ceiling piece goes in.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0933.JPG   IMG_0934.JPG  

IMG_0935.JPG   IMG_0936.JPG  

Old 04-25-2013, 09:29 AM   #30

I tried doing this last night but erased it twice oh well try it again.
Wednesday morning and it is ensolite on ceiling day. Deb went off to work and it was going to take 4 hands to get this stuck on the ceiling. I set up for the job got 2 sheets of plywood and made a platform 4 ft x 16 ft and a fold up table to assemble a stand on. The stand is to put ensolite roll on I used jack stands and clamped to table tightly. I then got out all the tools I tought it would take to do the ensoliteClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0941.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	58161
The ensolite roll weighs 85 lbs and I managed to get it on stand. then did final wipe down in Trillium to remove dust stuck on the ceiling walls etc. I then taped off the edges of the upper cabinet backing with masking tape and stuck a 3 wire line to roof vent hole. That stuff being done I had only to clear a path from table to back doors wide enough so that when we carry ensolite neither of us has to dodge anything.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0943.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	58162
Deb got home at 3:30 and we got right into it. The next bit is how we got it up onceiling
- resnapped a center line on cieling and a 8 inch offset line

Name:	IMG_0949.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	58163
the area between lines was to be where glue was to be put I also marked a starting point on the center line for the attachment of the ensolite, 24 inches from top of back door. We then measured from top of back door across ceiling all the way to top of front desk and added 12 inches this measurement 16 ft 6 in. also measured where roof vent was located from the 24 inch mark. All these measurement were transfered to the back of the ensolite.

Name:	IMG_0946.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	58164
-The glue was sprayed on the ceiling from the 26 inch mark to ceiling vent hole, only between the lines and then we quickly folded up the ensolite on the table so it could be handled easily then sprayed the glue in between the lines and marks ( added two inches to starting mark and also to vent hole so I had could trim)

Name:	IMG_0947.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	58165
-the next step get it up and started on ceiling without wrinkling of sticking it prematurely -what a tea managed to start the cross hair onto the center line an work it up to the vent hole then worked from center line out to offset line and rolled it onto ceiling with fluffy paint roller. Then sprayed another section on the other side of center about 8 inches and stuck that up then Deb unfolded a bit and we did the front side of the roof vent from center line to 8 inches each side and to top of curve above front window opening. It was then break time as it was getting gassy and masks were irritating Elapsed time since deb got home 1 1/2 hours picture is at break

Name:	IMG_0950.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	58166
-after 15 minutes it was just a matter of doing a bit more glue, letting it sit 5 minutes and rolling it onto ceiling,then down and over to upper cabinet mounting strips. Had to make a few relief cuts along the way. the picture is of the fridge cabinet relief cuts and ensolite all stuck up except under front window as we decided to cut it off at top of windows and due front different than first planned.

Name:	IMG_0954.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	58167

Name:	IMG_0955.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	58168
-This is where we left it for the evening elapsed time 3 1/2 hours, It went really well no mishaps, still married and got to watch Survivor Great day, Trim off excess today and then start side walls

Name:	IMG_0952.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	58169
Old 04-25-2013, 09:52 AM   #31

Alberta
Registry
I am impressed! Also a bit surprised that the foam on your Ensolite is white. The stuff on the classic Trilliums is black with a white vinyl coating.
Did you follow the pattern that the classic Trilliums use?
How much stretching was required, and how hard was that?
Old 04-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #32

Registry
Thanks for the very detailed description/pics, Ryan! What's your plan for trimming out the seams?

And another, totally off-topic question if you don't mind:
How do you manage to reduce the size of the pics you're posting? I've never been able to figure out how to post one in a thread that didn't appear fullsize and with the "click to enlarge" yellow bar...

Francesca
Old 04-25-2013, 10:59 AM   #33

Just got back from Vernon had to pick up 8 more cans of HP15, not cheap!! David it is similar to the old stuff but is more like foam rubber than the old ensolite and finish is formed onto that not applied (glued to backing) No stretching but have not looked this morning to see if I should have stretched but i did try to bunch a little on the headroom curves.
Francesca I always have camera set to the smallest picture size and it seems to always come out as you see it. There is more clarity if you have set for bigger picture but is harder to email etc and computer storage becomes a problem with larger pictures. Have to get back at it so will post later.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:29 AM   #34

Alberta
Registry
Francesca, How do you put the pictures in context, like Ryan has done? I always use the manage attachments button. But that way, all the pictures are at the end. I just don't know how to do captions with the pictures.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:43 AM   #35

Registry
That I DO know how to do!

Once they're loaded into "manage attachments", you can insert them in the text by clicking on the little "paperclip" icon in the toolbar top row. A list of your attachments will appear and whichever you click on will go into the text at that point.

Francesca
Old 04-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #36

Lunch time and the ceiling is trimmed up.

Name:	IMG_0958.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	58179

Name:	IMG_0959.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	58180
One small bubble at back along ceiling headroom rise up. I will inject glue in when finished as I am sure a few more will appear.
The walls are turning out to be a little more of a challenge, started on right front corner and man Clint Eastwood made a movie of this one The Good Bad And Ugly . The good part was it is in, the bad is not that great of fit, and the ugly I have a crease at bottom in center of the curve. will have to make a relief cut after lunch and reglue that portion. It will be behind the seat cushions if that is any consulation. No pictures of that yet. But will post the good bad and the ugly later.
This picture of trimming the ensolite Deb took last night

Name:	IMG_0956.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	58181
Old 04-25-2013, 05:22 PM   #37

Francesca I am going to chaulk the seams as very few will be visible the rest are hidden in cabinets or behind upholstry they to will be chaulked. The foam is more RV white than white so maybe almond chaulking? Will test a piece first.
Ryan
Old 04-25-2013, 05:35 PM   #38

Alberta
Registry
I see the bubbles that you are talking about, but I think it looks great!
Old 04-25-2013, 09:52 PM   #39

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Nice work, Ryan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
... a bit surprised that the foam on your Ensolite is white. The stuff on the classic Trilliums is black with a white vinyl coating.
The original product is natural rubber foam (with a vinyl face). Ensolite is the brand name for a series of sheet foam products, including variants which use other foams. Perhaps this is another foamed material, such as synthetic rubber such as neoprene (again with a vinyl face).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:06 PM   #40

Alberta
Registry
Ensolite turns out to be not the greatest insulator. I can't seem to find the thread, but I remember it being less then half as good as pink fibreglass insulation. I wonder how this foam would compare. Did the stuff come with an R-value?

Tags
trillium