Rebuild of a Trillium Sportsman - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-04-2013, 11:27 PM   #71

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
You know, Ryan, I'm beginning to think that you entitled this thread wrong!

The Sportsman came off the line bare-bones- no interior finish at all. It was up to the owner to finish the interior....and in this case it seems to me that's exactly what you're doing, albeit more than thirty years later. (The rough finish somebody else plugged in in the mean time notwithstanding)

I hereby rechristen this thread
Trillium Sportsman: The Way It S'posed To Be!

Francesca

Old 05-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #72

Name: Ryan
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Yea haw we had a hot day today its presently 29 C outside in f its 84, for you southern folk. Not hot for some but hot for early May. I didn't let it deter me from what had to be accomplished today, the rear corner cabinets and start the top side uppers. above the bed. I started by of course making a template for the right side. I had to make it in two peices so started with the top first.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1009.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	58736
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1011.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	58737
I used a compass to scribe the profile trying to keep it 90 degrees to the trailer surface. Then cut and refit and then rescibed and cut and refit until it was good.

Name:	IMG_1014.JPG
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	58738

Name:	IMG_1016.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	58739
Then took another sheet of cardboard and did the exact same thing to the bottom half.

Name:	IMG_1019.JPG
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	58740
Then put both into there spots and taped them together that gave the wall profile. next was to mark the 1/2 inch plywood and only cut the curved surface not the straight edge and then refit. I cut the curved edge at 30 degrees as the daminishing angle was different the whole way up, 18 degrees in spots 28 in others so 30 degrees would give the clearance needed for the leading edge to fit. The plywood was over size by at least 4 inch in width,

Name:	IMG_1023.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	58744

Name:	IMG_1024.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	58745

Name:	IMG_1026.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	58746
leaving it over width is so it can have a final fitting and then I cut the straight edge with a guide nailed to waste side as it was not even with the final position. Then after some time I had the blank and only had to put a 1x1 frame on the inside so router had a guide and then had a door opening then sam procedure for left hand side I just tweeked the right side template a little so it was quicker to do

Name:	IMG_1028.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	58747

Name:	IMG_1029.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	58748
Then it was all done and screwed into position and that took 7 hours to do so got a little more done but out of picture room on this post.
Ryan

Old 05-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #73

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
It was in the eighties here, too, so...I went to the beach.

But while I was there I thought about getting my projects done!

Francesca
Old 05-05-2013, 08:41 PM   #74

British Columbia
The other stuff done today was the side upper backing bottom done

Name:	IMG_1030.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	58749
the backing has polyurethane construction glue on it and needs overnight to set so the clamps are holding a pry board so backing stays tight to fiberglass.
Also fit the front counter top and propped side extention into position. Then it was beer time and dinner.

Name:	IMG_1031.JPG
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	58750
Tomorrow, if time fit the face of the side upper and if no time for that, start the wiring. so we have taillights also inside lights etc. My Bride got the curtains underway today and the new upholstry fabric was bought and tomorrow she is going to get the foam that we don't have now, we are recycling some of the old foam from before as it is like new. it is to bad most of the old foam is to narrow to use on this project. We still plan to use the trailer the May 18 th weekend finished or not.
Ryan
Old 05-06-2013, 05:09 PM   #75

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
I am impressed! It looks like by the 18th, you may have a workable trailer.

One question. You removed 550lb of material when you gutted it. Do you have any idea how much weight you have installed? Just wondering what the final weight loss/gain you are expecting.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #76

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
I probably asked before but specifically which router are you using to make your cuts. It seems when every I cut a rectangle or square it looks like I had a quart of rum before I started.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #77

British Columbia
Monday and the only thing done on the Sportsman is that my bride ordered the foam for the bed and the curtains are being made by a friend of Debs.
So David you asked what is the weight plus or minus of the 550 lbs of plywood when done. The final scale weight will tell but I am thinking now 175 lbs lighter with way more storage, less floor room and less seating more counter space and storage, Have we got storage. Also have fridge not icebox so that weight I think is 85 lbs and the ice box might have been 20 lbs. Also eliminated the water tank which was 14 gallons imperial the weight empty is 12 lbs,. The microwave will be eliminated but we are making a space for it in case we want it later. We are using a little less 4 inch upholstry foam and adding a 6 inch foam bed so that will weigh more. But apart from all the figuring I won't know until it goes across the scales and I will post the weight when done, I promise, it may just be in my head but I think it will weigh 175 lbs lighter.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #78

British Columbia
Mike it is a Porter cable 6902 1 3/4 hp router. I have used that model for 30 years, they in my mind are the best in there class. The blades are the most important part, use a good blade get a good outcome. Sometimes mine don't turn out so good too, but a good bottle of rum makes bad cuts go away a least until the next morning. LOL\
Ryan
Old 05-08-2013, 09:22 PM   #79

British Columbia
Wednesday- man did it fly by, The uppers both sides all boxed in ready for edge trim and will make all the doors later

Name:	IMG_1034.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	58858

Name:	IMG_1035.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	58859

Name:	IMG_1036.JPG
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	58860
I made rear side uppers the same as front- 1 x 1 frame attached to backing on ceiling and glued and screwed to bottom board, in the case of the side rear uppers the lower was 1/2 in Birch Ply, the front shelf was a 1x1 frame with 1/4 in birch ply glued to it.

Name:	IMG_1032.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	58861

Name:	IMG_1033.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	58862
the 1x1 plates are glued nailed and screwed to the few verticals, need them strong.
I was going to put in a rear center and front center uppers in, but that has to wait a bit as wiring has to be next and staining some edge trim and making window and ceiling fan trim boards.
I am running out of time, the 18th is coming fast. I am hoping the curtains are done by the weekend and have to get the flooring Friday.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:43 PM   #80

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
It's been often said, if you need something done... find the busiest person on the team... they know how to schedule time! Ryan, you've done amazing work and IMHO in short time. THANKS for sharing the journey with the rest of us
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:54 PM   #81

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
I agree with Donna. Very impressive!
I wonder if starting with a blank slate makes things go quicker than trying to work around original?
Old 05-09-2013, 10:03 AM   #82

British Columbia
Good Morning Roy
You may be right about having a blank slate, it is easier and faster when there is not a lot of stuff to work around. There is another aspect to that though, it is slower as you have to build the whole thing not just modify what is there or fit it into a existing space with generally existing structure there to attach to.
The tool setup for a small job is the same for a larger job so doing upper cabinets, 1/2 hour setup time and knockdown time is same for 1 upper or 2 sets of uppers. One of the things that I have found is procedure eats up the most time when doing some aspects, an example would be glueing in the backing pieces for all the cabinets the lines are marked the pieces are cut then prop boards are cut to hold pieces into place and the more backing the more prop boards ( which are sacrificial) then glue them them, prop, and set wait 24 hours for glue to set up. If I missed a piece because of a change of mind or had to wait for ensolite to go in then another 24 hours, different prop board measurements etc. This can eat up time and money. Smaller jobs smaller problems.
It is very nice to build it exactly the way Deb and I want it. Coming from a Boler with very small spaces for accessable storage to the Sportsman in which has lots of accessable storage will be the ultimate for us, even though it is a lot of work.

Name:	IMG_0728.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	58866
As you can see in the picture lots of blocks to glue and hold into place while glue sets (glad to see the end of those, that is behind upper cabinets now)
Ryan
Old 05-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #83

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
Amazing job Ryan! Nice to see the pictures of all your custom work. We are pondering out next trailer rebuild and like the inspiration!
Old 05-09-2013, 10:17 PM   #84

British Columbia
Thursday and life got in the way of the Sportsman today so very little done just a little staining and varathaning. we did manage to get the bed foam today had it custom cut to the side contours of the Sportsman.

Name:	IMG_1038.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	58907
Tomorrow hope to get the trim in and some of the wiring started.

Tags
trillium