Rebuild of a Trillium Sportsman - Page 8 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-22-2013, 08:40 PM   #99

Name: Ryan
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
The first trip out and a couple of issues popped up, first is broke the front door lock needs a new one, a patch of ensolite let go, it is about 12 x 16 inches, have yet to deal with it but I feel it is lack of glue, the other issue is rear corner cabinets don't fit my fly rods so a little modification required ( curvature of rear upper roof won't allow rods to go up and then back into hole) solution make door hole bigger. also rain leaked in rear door glass, no sealant on top of plastic frame, this is a easy fix when it stops raining but has to dry out first. The other most important thing was the distribution of weight close to being equal on each side of the trailer, I thought it was going to be close. The fact is my truck is to big to feel anything and the trailer didn't whip back and forth so I guess it is close.
We stopped and weighed it still attached to my truck with just trailer wheels on scales it weighed in at 1010 kgs (2222 lbs). The trailer full of camping gear, pontoon boat, fishing gear, fridge full, but some cupboards still lacking some of the regular stuff we take along. Before I weighed it completely empty and then the plywood I removed, that total was 1848 lbs, I sure wish now I would have weighed it when I got it but that weight we will never know. Things that go into it yet are battery, cupboard doors, flooring and front cushions. This will bring the weight up about 150 lbs. I will weigh again when empty after finishing off trailer then again loaded so I know and will post for others. The weight is important as I need new axle so I don't want to under size it or go way overboard on it. We were pleased with the roomy feel compared to the Boler and with the places to put stuff! Need to put logos on the sides and few small touches out then it will be complete. attached are pictures of trailer in Osoyoos in the rain
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1097.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	59444

Name:	IMG_1098.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	59445

Old 05-22-2013, 09:05 PM   #100

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
For as much as you accomplished and so quickly, sounds like things are working out pretty well all around. Yes, you've found some issues but we've heard similar things from trailers right from the factory.

Have fun, safe travels too

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:26 PM   #101

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan parsons View Post
The other most important thing was the distribution of weight close to being equal on each side of the trailer, I thought it was going to be close. The fact is my truck is to big to feel anything and the trailer didn't whip back and forth so I guess it is close.
We stopped and weighed it still attached to my truck with just trailer wheels on scales it weighed in at 1010 kgs (2222 lbs)...
The side-to-side weight distribution can be measured at a truck scale which allows you to drive partway off of the scale to one side, so one trailer wheel is on the scale while the other is beside it. You can't do this at scales which are raised, but you often can with the ones which are flush with the ground... such as many B.C. government-run highway scales, including the one on Highway 97 at Highway 3A, a couple kilometres north of Okanagan Falls (for instance, for someone in Osoyoos). You can weigh both sides individually even if there is room on only one side by facing in the reverse to normal direction, which you can do when the scale is "closed" (trucks not required to stop, but scale still turned on) at typical B.C. and Alberta scales.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:37 PM   #102

British Columbia
Thanks Brian I will be doing that next time down to Osoyoos as that scale. It is unmanned now and easy to weigh both sides.
Ryan
Old 05-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #103

Name: Rick
Trailer: 1973 Bugeyed Boler
British Columbia
Registry
Atta boy

Ryan

Read the posts. The trailer looks terrific!! Too bad we did not get to see it live. Will see you soon. Rick and Helen
Old 05-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #104

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Ryan your great find is turning into an amazing looking trailer. Well done!!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:40 AM   #105

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Smile Wow

I am really impressed with the skill and talent you have shown, not only in the build, but the presentation.

I have a couple of thoughts.

On the cabinet doors, I often wonder why they don't use louvered doors. I know when we heat Homelet at night and then open a cabinet, it can be cold inside, not to mention humidity.

Second. It seems somewhere I read a comment on the strange door. I found this picture and I think that the door looks very similar to what is on your Sportsman:
Attached Thumbnails
5500 Ext 1.jpg  

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #106

British Columbia
Thanks Roger
I think that louvered cabinet doors are a great idea, I know what you mean with opening the cupboard doors and the air is either hot or cold depending on what the weather is like on the outside. I am still going to do shaker style but you got me to rethink the door style now. I am building from scratch anyways so a little extra work might be worth it. I will let you know the outcome.
The door on the 4500 is the same as in the Sportsman. I am wondering why on the two models they chose that style and not the curved standard Trillium door? We may never know this answer.
Ryan
Old 05-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #107

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Boy, perspective is everything!

It always gives me a little blast of satisfaction when I open a cupboard door and feel the difference in air temperature...that spells insulating air gap to me. Something lamentably lacking in my trailer with its glued-on layer of Ensolite, no air gap in the equation...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:11 PM   #108

British Columbia
Had to do something on the trailer so got at it and did the Battery mount on the front of the trailer. It was a simple change, just moved the propane bottle over then mounted the battery box next to it, Hooked up a pos and neg and then plugged in trailer, - no pops, no smoke, lights work, converter charges it, its all good yea haw

Name:	IMG_1167.JPG
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	59716
couldn't stop there so front dinette cushions had to be done for the upholstry lady, I had to recycle what I could from other interior so the only ones that worked are the backs. The bottoms had to be cut from wider stock. It is 4 inch high density. Had them cut at local shop just made a template of corners and the center is a rectangle.

Name:	IMG_1166.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	59717
Using the corner template I cut the backs for the corner, first the larger piece then the left then the center

Name:	IMG_1162.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	59718

Name:	IMG_1163.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	59719

Name:	IMG_1164.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	59720
The older peices were wrapped in a polyester fiber matting so removed and recovered the pieces we cut

Name:	IMG_1165.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	59721
The matting was glued at the corners so will spray glue them down tommorrow. just had to do something on the Sportsman, still a long way to go.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:38 PM   #109

British Columbia
glued the matting on the foam and trial fit, nice and snug so ready For the upholsterer.

Name:	IMG_1168.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	59759
Old 05-31-2013, 11:17 PM   #110

British Columbia
Just got the flooring done today, It is from Dinoflex Manufacturing in Salmon Arm BC. It is called Interlocking Sport Flooring there are several thicknesses available but I have used the 8mm (5/16) x36 in x 36 in It is a recycled rubber product with colored chips in it. The one I picked has light brown chips in it to match the birch and maple plywood.

Name:	IMG_1172.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	302.9 KB
ID:	59844

Name:	IMG_1170.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	281.6 KB
ID:	59845
The interlocks are quite large and stay together real well if installed tightly to walls.. It is real easy to install just mark and cut with razer knife, no gluing or fasteners required. The floor took 2 hrs to put in and used 4.5 sheets at $19.25 a sheet an easy way to look at the cost would be 2.37 a square foot. The stuff is almost indestructable we used it in the last Boler we had and it showed absolutely no wear after 6 years, another good thing is no waxing just damp mop when it gets real dusty.

Name:	IMG_1174.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	59847

Name:	IMG_1175.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	59848
The start was the doorway then moved down the one side then the other. piece of cake just way to easy

Name:	IMG_1176.JPG
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	59849

Name:	IMG_1177.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	292.2 KB
ID:	59850
the last picture is of my toes, but it is supposed to show the 4 interlocking seams between my feet real hard to see because the interlocks on there product is that good. As you all can tell I just love this stuff, someone at Dinoflex was sure thinking when they made this product. Well tomorrow the propane stuff gets started, with a little help from my qualified friends.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:42 AM   #111

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
This continues to be a killer renovation and all the pictures and narrative will help me and other renos down the road. Will see if Texas can annex BC.
Thanks
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:17 AM   #112

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
That Dinoflex flooring is really cool, Ryan- I took a look at their site just now, and I see that it's even available in lots of different colors.

Definitely going on my "what can I use this for?" list!

Francesca

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium