Rebuild of a Trillium Sportsman - Page 9 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-01-2013, 08:30 PM   #113

Name: Ryan
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
The propane is done, checked and rechecked and rechecked, and then checked again just to be darn sure there is no leaks. Fridge is running now and will see how good it works tomorrow, barrel heater works and stove works, LET THE CAMPING BEGIN!! The stuff not done now is just cosmetic except the axle but escape in Chilliwack will probably take care of that for me, I just have to get a hold of them and ask. I noticed a label on the axle today while playing around under there. It is only a 2000 lb torflex type axle and should have been a 2200-3500 lb. That is what escape uses on their trailers, so maybe an easy job if they have same mounting. Francesca the dinoflex flooring is real nice under foot I have it in front of my work benches in the garage an no sore feet if I am there for long periods of time. It is also a good sound deadener. I have also seen it on old patios where the concrete is all spalled from the freezing and they just lay it over top.
Ryan

Old 06-19-2013, 12:18 PM   #114

British Columbia
Got out for the weekend To Pratt lake, found that the fridge got to cold so picked up a indoor outdoor thermometer and mounted the guage on the side of the fridge cabinet and sealed the outdoor sending unit in a freezer bag and put it in the bottom of the fridge and now I can tell the temperature in the fridge without opening it. I got this idea from rhkirkham and it works like a charm.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1178.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	60702
Also got a backup camera for the trailer it is a wireless unit from trailer to tow vehicle but the camera requires 12 volts to make run they suggest in the instructions to run it on the backup light circuit but I think I am going to run it on the running light circuit so I can see behind me when driving, all I have to do is turn on the running lights and I can see whatever is behind me. I have not installed it yet as I cannot bring myself to drill that hole needed for the electrical wire thru the fiberglass shell, just don't want to make a boo boo and then have to patch after all the work so far.
This is what a dirty Sportsman looks like after arriving at Pratt lake and 40 kms of muddy gravel roads ( rock guard is now on my hit list)

Name:	IMG_1182.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	60703

Old 06-19-2013, 07:47 PM   #115

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
An indoor/outdoor thermometer is a good idea. I use one in my Scamp. Sure saves on opening the door to determine if it's cold enough!

I'd suggest weighing the trailer fully loaded for camping. That information will help you and Escape Trailer Industries determine what exactly axle your trailer needs. "Been there, done that" and was glad to have factual information. YMMV

Maybe, along with rock guard for the front of the trailer, you should consider "rock tamers" for the rear of the tug?

Looks like you're having a ton of fun... THANKS for sharing the pic
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:51 PM   #116

British Columbia
today I put in the backup camera, now I can pull it with the hot rod and see what is behind.

Name:	IMG_1200.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	61355
Also got a little staining done and 2 clear coats on top. this panel is stained on both sides of fridge cabinet.

Name:	IMG_1201.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	61356
Now I need the time to make the cabinet doors.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:21 PM   #117

British Columbia
The cushions came back today, they look great. The before and after pics

Name:	IMG_1168.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	61484

Name:	IMG_1202.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	61485
It is the same fabric as the curtains. Now I better get my rear in gear and do the cabinet doors.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:30 PM   #118

British Columbia
Well we noticed a problem with the ensolite glue we used- HP15- It is not that heat resistant when it hit 39 degrees here last week it was over 55 in the little trailer so I plugged it in to shore power and opened the fantastic fan and two windows and put it on so it would cool the inside. it has been on ever since when the temp gets to about 30 degrees inside it turns on but on the sun side in the overhead cabinets the ensolite let go from the fiberglass, it is still tacky from the heat (I think it should not be tacky if heat resistant) so will try another product I purchased to fix the front curves from letting go. I will post outcome later after I give it some time. The Company that makes HP15 is no longer in business it went Bankrupt.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:23 AM   #119

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
WOW that is good for me to know and not so good for you.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:58 AM   #120

British Columbia
back at it again

It has been a while since I last posted anything on the Sportsman. The trailer has been in storage since Nov 1. I can not work on it where it is and still have lots to do on it to finish it up to where I want it. I took all the cabinet door rough opening sizes so I could build the doors this winter. The rough stock is now down to 5% moisture content so it is time to get at it. The first and secound pictures are of the style and rail material all ready to cut to size (I had already planed, jointed, and ripped the material earlier today and forgot to take a picture of that). The third is of the pile of styles, rails and solid door parts and the cut list stacked by door #. Still have the rest of the milling to do but this is a start.
In one of the previous posts I had told you the HP15 glue was not holding the ensolite on the cieling and some of the side walls. I have not found a suitable replacement for that glue yet. I was told by a bodyman that vinyl roof glue used on cars will hold so I am going to try that this spring. Hope all are having a good winter.
Ryan
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1342.JPG   IMG_1340.JPG  

IMG_1343.JPG  
Old 02-10-2014, 09:29 PM   #121

British Columbia
cabinet doors finished

well it took all week but they are done. I used walnut frame and baltic birch center panels stained first with a walnut stain, then restained with Spanish oak rubbing stain, then 4 coats of Spar-urethane, sprayed 2 coats and brushed two coats. the first picture is of the pile of machined parts the second is of the doors spread out on tabled saw and bench the third is of a single door. Can hardly wait until I get the Sportsman out of storage to install.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1346.JPG   IMG_1366.JPG  

IMG_1367.JPG  
Old 02-11-2014, 09:03 AM   #122

Name: Diane
Trailer: u-haul ct13
Virginia
Wow, this is beautiful! You are so talented. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:31 PM   #123

Name: Darryl
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Hello Ryan, Your rehab project is very impressive with amazing design, fit and finish. I built a 78 Scamp from their "kit" and understand the difficulty (still own it). I would like your opinion of the white headliner vinyl you sourced from Tom@trilliumRv. 1) How tough / fragile does the vinyl appear regarding puncture/tear resistance and 2) degree of flexibility to form into the compound curves of the fiberglass. I want to know what adhesive brand/type works for you too. If you have any scrap vinyl I would like to get a small sample. Thanks
Old 02-17-2014, 11:20 PM   #124

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Wow Darryl, don't want to trash this thread of Ryan's.. but a kit from Scamp? We haven't heard about too many owners (here on FiberglassRV) that "still" own one.

Please start a new thread about your experience! BTW to FiberglassRV we're glad you are here
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:40 PM   #125

British Columbia
thanks Darryl
the Ensolite from Tom is not exactly like the material in the old Bolers, the skin is not as resiliant against scratches and punctures, that being said I feel it is a good product. I have put a few punctures in it but they hide themselves quite well< scratches not so good. It is very difficult to simply tear by hand but can be done with brute force.
The compound curves present in these little trailers have to be cut in a fashion to minimise the cuts for ease of installation. It is best to see how the factory did it and copy there initiative. I did it a little different by placing cabinets in the most difficult areas, then piecing those areas with smaller more manageable pieces. Thus making the cabinet work harder but easier for me as I do that kind of wood fitting for a living.
The glue, the dam glue!! I used Hp 15 it was supposed to be heat resistant and the answer to all my fears, but the first few days of 100 degree weather here and the corners started to let go and some of the tighter roof curves, I reapplied where I could get at and it stuck until the next week of 100 degree days, and to my disappointment a few let go again as well as a couple of new spots. I then found out the manufacturer of the glue went bankrupt. I had to try a different type, I put it on a couple of spots and it has worked alright for now but I am waiting for some of those 100 degree days to see if it will hold before i stick the remaining spots up again. ( at this moment those 100 degree days seem so far off from whats outside right now.) The new glue is yellow like contact cement yellow and have taken a chance with color bleed thru this will be take time to tell so I am in no hurry to do to much repair on the remaining spots until I am sure of this new glue, The next glue I am sourcing right now is vinyl roof adhesive for the tops on automobiles I would like to try it on a spot in the Trillium before proceeded with the Yellow spray adhesive. Darryl if you send me your address by way of private message I have one last small piece I will send off to you.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:58 AM   #126

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
I am very interested in what glue works for you. After I repair the roof on my latest Trillium, which I now refer to as Humpty Dumpty. I will be re-installing the Ensolite, or what Tom Young sells, but just on the roof section between the two windows. My hopes of removing the original Enslolite in one piece seem optimistic at this point.

Is color bleed the reason that you did not use contact cement, like Trillium did originally?

Tags
trillium