I started this trailer story on another thread. I don't know how to link the two together so the title
of the other thread is; Can anyone identify this trailer, sort of Trillium
I am hoping a moderator can put the link in.
I started last fall
by buying what I was positive was a trillium
trailer although it was registered as a Triple E. Year 1969. This registration
(title) was and still is wrong. I will be having it changed by ICBC this summer after I have finished the rebuild. Since the purchase I have seen the original brochure for the Trailer and talked with Tom at Trillium
USA and now know for sure is a Trillium Sportsman manufactured mid 70s and made for a tobacco company. (they ordered 1/2 dozen or so for hauling event advertising) Trillium tried selling them but they were way ahead of the marketplace and the public didn't want them so were discontinued. I guess apart from motorcycles not to many atv's in the mid 70s.
I needed a trailer to haul my fly fishing pontoon boat to the little lakes around here and to store it when not using, so the back doors really appealed to Deb and I. The floor plan I had drafted on my board so my gal could see what I wanted to do the interior of the trailer after gutting the contents and removing existing interior. I have attached the picture of the plan.
I do not have to many good shots of the original interior or exterior that I started with but lots of good pics on the original; what the heck is it thread.
I spent 2 days removing the interior and saving all the appliances and misc stuff. I only took plywood (most was 3/4 inch fir) to the dump and it weighed in at 550 lbs. I thought the trailer weighed to much so after removing the interior I took it over a government weigh scale and it weighed in at 1298 lbs. The plywood and backing was all glued in and every piece had multipule fasteners and it was a real struggle to remove! had to zip disc quite a few pieces to toothpicks to remove. I then had a clean slate to work with. After removing everything I scrapped all the glue residue off the ceiling and walls. Was a terrible job but used a red devil scraper which i sharpened frequently. I then removed the lino that was glued to the floor, as the glue never set it removed with ease and the glue wiped up with thinner and rags. The first thing I wanted to do was reset the doors and reseal before winter so set out removing them and replacing all the backing for them. The side door had 3/4 in x 2 inch backing strips that had just about completely rotted out and the door screws where nothing but pins with heads they had just disintegrated. The door was in good shape. so just put in new backing plywood (marine grade 11 ply) and new buytl tape and reset with plated screws.
The rear doors turned out to be a lot more of a challenge. The rear rough opening is fiberglass outer then 3/4" plywood glued to a 2 inch square steel frame which is welded to the frame. the 2 inch plywood strips where glued to the steel then the fiberglass glued to the plywood the the door mounted. The problem was the plywood was rotten at the bottom and up about 2 feet on each side so had to dig all the rot out then remove old plywood and what was left of the disintegrated fasteners thank god for Zip discs!! pictures attached show what i was digging out and the steel frame and how it was constructed. We now have the doors all set back in with new seals and they work like a charm. I am looking for a new bargman l400 door handle for rear door, the one there has no tumbler in it.
The pictures show how I attached new rear door backing strips to steel frame and fiberglass outer. the glue I used was polyurethane construction glue. The paint
on the steel is Por15 rust paint
Must go for now it might be getting a little long winded. Will post laying out interior and witness line soon.