Rebuilding 13' 1982 Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2012, 10:29 PM   #21

Name: Benjamin
Trailer: Uhaul ct-13
Michigan
Wow. Amazing work. I can't wait to see it done
uhaulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:40 PM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhaulin View Post
Wow. Amazing work. I can't wait to see it done
Thanks Uhaulin. I'll be glad to see it done, too. We were originally aiming for a trip over the Christmas break, but we've pushed it Spring Break now. Better to do it right than rush it.
stevewolverton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:56 PM   #23

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Nice re-build. I like your shop, you have lots of room to work. Are you going to paint the exterior when everthing is faired?
Old 12-09-2012, 11:03 PM   #24

Hi Dan,

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyH View Post
Nice re-build. I like your shop, you have lots of room to work. Are you going to paint the exterior when everthing is faired?
Yes. I already have the paint. We have to prime it, and then we'll paint when the weather cooperates. I'm painting the top white, bottom black, and I have a vinyl machine that I'll use to cut the stripe. I still need to order some belly band from Scamp because I'm going to continue the line across the door. I have a photoshop picture of the paint scheme we're going to use.

I wish I could say that was my shop, but it's actually my girlfriend's parents. It's huge!

Steve
Old 12-10-2012, 06:07 AM   #25

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
COOL!

I just want to caution you about mounting the spare on the bumper. Scamp bumpers are about as heavy as aluminum foil, especially older models. Spare tires "flap" when mounted in this fashion even when going over minor bumps in the road. After all this work, you don't want to crack the bumper or frame.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:34 AM   #26

Hi Donna,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
COOL!

I just want to caution you about mounting the spare on the bumper. Scamp bumpers are about as heavy as aluminum foil, especially older models.
Thanks for heads up, but my bumper isn't factory. I chopped off the rear section of my frame and welded in new steel from the axle back.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:44 AM   #27

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Sounds good Steve, hope it works out well for you. I guess my message is just to caution those that think they'd hang the spare off the bumper... and have stock frames! There's a reason when Scamp adds a hitch to the rear they beef up the frame.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:55 AM   #28

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Looks nice, what are you doing with the bathroom?
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:11 AM   #29

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Steve you do amazing work! You could probably go into business just doing the window ac mod lol! I love the dropped floor for extra room and can't wait to see it all done! Just out of curiosity did you enlarge the bed area for a wider bed?

Keep up the Fantastic Work!

deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:34 PM   #30

Hi Steve,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
Looks nice, what are you doing with the bathroom?
The bathroom will be setup similar to the Scamp model with a bathroom. The toilet will be on the left if you're inside the camping facing forward. The center section behind the door will be the shower. The right side of the wall near the doorway will have a refrigerator with a microwave mounted above.

We're glassing the bathroom area and plywood bulkhead to waterproof everything.

Steve
Old 12-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #31

Hi Deryk,

Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Steve you do amazing work! You could probably go into business just doing the window ac mod lol! I love the dropped floor for extra room and can't wait to see it all done! Just out of curiosity did you enlarge the bed area for a wider bed?
Thanks Deryk. I've had a few campers with a dropped floor and really appreciate the extra space. The plan with the AC bumpout is to make it look like it was part of the original trailer.

I toyed with a few ideas, including making a rack holding a cooler that would hide the AC unit. I think I saw a pic of that setup on this website...

Inside the camper, the AC unit will be hidden behind a decorative piece of aluminum that will have many 2" holes and also have the black mesh so the AC unit won't be seen, but the air will be able to enter/exit the unit. I've already purchased the lights for the unit and two of the reading lamps (brushed aluminum) will be mounted to the decorative AC cover.

The bed area is still the same size - roughly 6'6" x 48". I'm 6'1" but the girlfriend is only 5' tall so I can stuff her in the curved section.

Steve
Old 12-10-2012, 05:23 PM   #32

Name: dave
Trailer: castia 16ft
Kansas
I am following this rebuild with great interest. I have a 86 casita that po removed shower and bath area and built bunk beds there. I would really like to put bath and toilet back. so lots of photos please and you said you are fiberglassing that area. are you buying panels or making something to fit? what about black and gray water tanks? I guess I want to know everything about how you are doing this.
dave in kc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:50 PM   #33

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Please tell us you're not putting in a black tank that'll require ginormous pipes under the trailer about eight inches from the ground....

Such a handicap to add to a theretofore great boondocking/rough roads trailer!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:50 PM   #34

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewolverton View Post
Hi Dan,

Yes. I already have the paint. We have to prime it, and then we'll paint when the weather cooperates. I'm painting the top white, bottom black, and I have a vinyl machine that I'll use to cut the stripe. I still need to order some belly band from Scamp because I'm going to continue the line across the door. I have a photoshop picture of the paint scheme we're going to use.

I wish I could say that was my shop, but it's actually my girlfriend's parents. It's huge!

Steve
Steve, have you thought of painting on the stripe, as long as your painting the rest? I did and figure it should last longer than vinyle.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:01 AM   #35

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
heh... maybe one day (after I get my trailer lol) after my mom has passed I can paint mine to look like a gypsy wagon lol

deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #36

Hi Dave,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave in kc View Post
are you buying panels or making something to fit? what about black and gray water tanks? I guess I want to know everything about how you are doing this.
The front of the bathroom area is fiberglass from the factory, so all we need to do is glass the bathroom wall and floor. I'm using fiberglass mat. It takes quite a bit of resin to wet out the cloth, but will be strong and waterproof.

We'll be using a Curve portable toilet made by Thetford. Eventually we want a cassette toilet (Cassette C-200 CW/S/CS) in the camper. Both of these toilets make the black water tank unnecessary.

The grey water tank would go in the stock location, but I can't use one now as I have the dropped floor in that location. When we're showering away from sewer facilities, we'll have to use a portable grey water system.

I'll post pics as we get to the bathroom section.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:14 PM   #37

Francesca,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Please tell us you're not putting in a black tank that'll require ginormous pipes under the trailer about eight inches from the ground....
No tanks.

Steve
Old 12-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #38

Hi Danny,

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyH View Post
Steve, have you thought of painting on the stripe, as long as your painting the rest? I did and figure it should last longer than vinyle.
I've never had great luck with paint stripes. It seems no matter how careful I am I always manage to get paint creep. The vinyl is 7 year, and it's cheap. I can cut the stripes if they get damaged/fade. I keep my graphics saved so I don't have to think about them after creating them - just load them into my vinyl cutting software and hit the "cut" button. I've striped cars using my vinyl cutter and they seem to hold up well.

Steve
Old 12-11-2012, 08:12 PM   #39

Name: Sam
Trailer: Owner 16' Amerigo
Tennessee
Steve,

Your build is really looking great! I have a Amerigo 16' that I have stripped out and I was wondering how you decide the sizes on the shower room?
I am in the lay out phase and I like doing it once. So I am looking for some insight.
Thanks!

Sam
samcrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:16 PM   #40

Hi Sam,

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcrimm View Post
I was wondering how you decide the sizes on the shower room?
I made a quick drawing of my layout.

The horizontal blue line shows the bathroom wall I installed. The vertical blue line is the divider I will install. The scamp has a lower section in the middle between my toilet and refrigerator location, so that's where the shower drain will go. I also mounted the floor under the toilet slightly angled downward toward the shower drain (1/4" shim under the toilet floor) so the water would always drain to the lowest point. The toilet and shower area blue wall will get glassed so it's waterproof. I made the bathroom as large as possible by building the bathroom wall as close to the doorway entrance as possible, which also meets flush with the kitchen counter.

I believe the shower area measured 22" deep. I won't be able to stand in the shower (just under 6' clearance in there) so I'll have to take showers using the toilet as a seat. My GF will be able to stand in the shower area and have plenty of room to wash her hair - which the separate bathroom/shower area was something she insisted on - and I'm all for it!

Steve

Tags
scamp