recovering cushions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2006, 01:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Trillium
I am about to start the project and was wondering how the top bunk/backrest is attached to the wall. I remember someone had posted some helpful tricks before the site crash. Any tips would be appreciated!

Sharon
Sharon Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 01:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
On my Scamp, right underneath the front window is an additional piece of wood that has been fiberglassed perpendicular to the wall. There is a piece of plywood that has the ends rounded and is hinged in two places about a foot in from the sidewalls. (Actually the "hinge" is nothing more than a piece of heavy fiberglass tape.) This allows the back of the top cushion to sit flat against the front wall, with the hinges allowing the sides of the cushion to "bend" and conform to the curve of the trailer. The piece of plywood is hinged (with real hinges) to the wood underneath the window.

Lousy explanation and probably even a worse picture!

And, the top cushion only has the upholstery on the top and the sides, the back portion has been stapled to the back of plywood so the entire thing lifts up to make the bunkbed.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 05:14 PM   #3

Thanks Donna, not such a lousy explanation. I am still a bit lost because the current cover on the top bunk is enclosed with the wood inside. I wanted to put a zipper in it, but can't figure out how to do that and enclose the wood. Does this make sense? I think this one was hand sewn to close it.

How do you mean the top cushion only has the upholstrey on the top and sides? How is it attached?

Sharon
Old 01-20-2006, 05:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The wood inside is what I was talking about, when I mentioned "the top cushion only has the upholstery on the top and the sides, the back portion has been stapled to the back of plywood" I should have probably said "the entire cushion upholstery has been stapled...." That entire piece is for the back cushion and when you pull it up (because it's hinged) it forms the top bunk.

You could probably unstable it from the plywood (if that's the way your is attached too) and put a zipper along one entire side, zip it together and restaple.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 10:17 AM   #5

Name: Brenda
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300
British Columbia
Hi Sharon,

With our Dewey, the plywood on the back of the foam is encased by the material and attached to the trailer via a long piano hinge which goes right through the material into the wood.

What I did with ours is I made a "band" around the whole cushion measuring the height of the cushion including the plywood with about 1" of allowance. In this band I put the zipper. I cut out the top and bottom pieces of material then started putting the whole thing together. I put the band back around the cushion and plywood inside out and pinned the top part then sewed. I did the same to the bottom, still inside out, but unzipped the zipper a bit so I could get the cover off to sew it.

With the completed cover turned the right way, (with the help of my hubby), we fit the foam and plywood into the cover and zipped it up. We took it out to the trailer and lined up the piano hinge (which was still attached to the trailer with a piece of wood) and while I held it flat at about waist height, my hubby screwed the hinge into place into the completed cushion and plywood.

I hope I explained this right. Out of all the cushions to be recovered, this is the most awkward.

Brenda
Brenda Novakovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 11:28 AM   #6

Quote:
With the completed cover turned the right way, (with the help of my hubby), we fit the foam and plywood into the cover and zipped it up. We took it out to the trailer and lined up the piano hinge (which was still attached to the trailer with a piece of wood) and while I held it flat at about waist height, my hubby screwed the hinge into place into the completed cushion and plywood.
Thanks Brenda,

Two more questions. Is the zipper in the back against the wall? If so, that must mean it doesn't get in the way of the hinge. Is the zipper right in the middle of the band or higher? Do you screw the hinge right thru the fabric?

Old 01-21-2006, 11:52 AM   #7

British Columbia
Hi Sharon,

The zipper on the band will show if you have it on top. The zipper was quite long, so I started it about half way down on one side and ran it on the bottom part of the band. I can't remember how long that zipper was exactly, but I don't think it went the whole length. I didn't want the zipper to show, but when that back-rest part is made into the bunk you will see it (unless your really good at putting in zippers and can make it invisible). Another option might be to get a shorter zipper and just have the opening at one end and try to stuff everything in. The zipper is not on the back at all....it's around the foam and it's in the centre. Boy...this is really hard to explain. The piano hinge has quite a few holes for the screws so yes the screws go right though the fabric into the plywood.

Tomorrow it's supposed to warm up a bit so I'll take some pics for you and hopefully that will help.

Brenda
Old 01-21-2006, 12:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Tomorrow it's supposed to warm up a bit so I'll take some pics for you and hopefully that will help.

Brenda
Thanks, your a doll!
Old 01-22-2006, 02:16 PM   #9

British Columbia
Hi again Sharon,

I couldn't get into Dewey or the Grape...too much snow, but I took pics of the front bunk area of the Trill we just acquired - 1978 model 1300. This is the original cushion/bunk set up.

In this pic you can see the piano hinge and under that there is a board with about 5 screw holes in it. This board is attached to the trailer and is what you screw the piano hinge into. The underneith part of the cushion almost looks like some kind of brown suede and the piano hinge goes right through the fabric into the plywood.

Two more pics to come.

B
Attached Thumbnails
Resize_of_IMG_1079.JPG  
Old 01-22-2006, 02:18 PM   #10

British Columbia
This second pic shows the zipper placement. The zipper is very long and runs the whole length of the cushion. It does show when made into a bunk, but there is not much else you can do.
Attached Thumbnails
Resize_of_IMG_1080.JPG  
Old 01-22-2006, 02:21 PM   #11

British Columbia
This last pic is the view of the top part of the wood that the piano hinges screw into.

I hope these pics help a bit.

B
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2006, 09:36 AM   #12

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Just to add a little more info that may help....
On both of my Trill's there is plywood all around each window sitting between the outer fiberglass shell and the inside rubber.
This is what holds the windows in place and also what the piano hinge is attached to.

All that is required to remove the hinge from the trailer is a screwdriver with the appropriate bit.
I would think it would be easier to remove the backrest and hinge together so they can be worked on outside of the trailer and then just re-attech them when done.

I have removed the backrest when I had to replace most of the plywood holding the front window as it had rotted from water. The plywood is square to the window sill surface but ha an angle on the outside surface from the windows(hope that makes sense) You can see the angle where the rubber angles away from the window.

Good Luck.
Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 11:51 PM   #13

Thanks Donna, Brenda & Ed, I am going to go out in the next day or so and take it down. I think seeing it after reading your posts it will make more sense. Stay tuned.......