Reflective Tape -- What Works? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2015, 11:22 AM   #1

Name: Wendy
Trailer: ‘14 Casita 17 SD
Florida
Reflective Tape -- What Works?

Hi, all,

I want to buy some kind of reflective tape for safety that would look nice around my Casita's belly band. On Amazon the choices are endless and range from very expensive to reasonable. My new-to-me 2007 Toyota Sequoia TV is silver, so I want either silver or white. The Sequoia was rear-ended a couple weeks ago, and now I'm (more) paranoid. What would you recommend? What should I avoid? Any advice is welcome!

WendyW
WendyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:28 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
A lot of that stuff on eBay is no-name/generic/Chinese. If available I would opt for the original, 3M Scotch brand product.

BUT, some eBay sellers are not beneath selling a bootleg version with 3M labels, or at least claiming 3M in the ad. If it ships from off-shore, fergitit

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:36 AM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I bought the reflective tape sold by Larry at LHC.
The tape sticks and reflects well .
It is sold in ten ft lengths or in a length long enough to rap completely around a 17 ft. Casita
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:28 PM   #4

Florida
Steve, thanks -- I was unaware that Larry sold tape! As I was just looking at it, it occurred to me that daytime reflection would be highly desirable, since that's when my TV was hit. Will the sun cause a reflection?
Old 07-22-2015, 12:48 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I am not sure if the tape has much reflective qualities during daylight hours.
(Never thougjt to look) I do know it reflects well at night,
I did attached. 2 round reflectors to the rear bumper of my Casita .
They do reflect somewhat during the day .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 02:11 PM   #6

Name: J Mac
Trailer: 17b Escape
British Columbia
You might want to check with your local motor vehicle board as to the legality of using reflective tape on any but emergency, police, military, fire truck etc. vehicles. Once on, reflective tape can be a real pain to remove.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 03:20 PM   #7

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
I too considered belly band tape, just never got around to it. I did pick up the 3M strips shown in the attached photo at an auto parts store. Couple of bucks each I believe. Show up real well in any kinda light at night. If you look closely you can also see the third brake light I installed way up high. Seems the least I could do to discourage rear end encounters. If memory serves (which is less and less) this photo was taken at Mather Campground, Grand Canyon, Feb. 2015.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5796.jpg  
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 03:37 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
You might want to check with your local motor vehicle board as to the legality of using reflective tape on any but emergency, police, military, fire truck etc. vehicles. Once on, reflective tape can be a real pain to remove.
Conspicuity tape is available at any parts store in short pieces like John's or in large rolls for big buck$$
It is a great safety measure on utility trailers which usually suffer from a lack of visibility.
I kept the big rolls in stock for use on fleet vehicles and trailers of all kinds, all perfectly legal and in some cases required.
BTW it works as well as regular plastic reflectors, I cut pieces of the red into oval shapes and put it on the latch end of the doors on light trucks and cars so that it will flash a warning to overtaking traffic when the door is opened.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 05:52 PM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I took some conspicuity tape and cut four narrow strips of the silver color and put it on the corners of the belly band on our Casita. High mount stop and turn light is good too. The low mounted original lights can't be seen over the hood of a big truck following close.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:17 AM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 19
Arizona
I use reflective tape on the belly band and bumper. I used the same stuff that you will find on US Coast Guard approved life jackets. Very reflective at night with headlights shining on it. I go mine through West Marine atr the store in San Diego when I was visiting there.
captsteve2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:39 PM   #11

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
Apparantly there is a wide variety of reflective tapes out there and some of them are rated in candle power as to how much light they will reflect. Here is a website that has some info. Which Retro Reflective Tape Is The Brightest ? | Retro Reflective Tape
Old 07-24-2015, 12:23 AM   #12

Florida
Wow, this is all so interesting! Thanks, everybody, for your illuminating comments, and you, Lee, for the excellent link. A friend is throwing me a farewell/Casitawarming party next month, and it might turn into a Casita decorating party using colors of reflective tape in 1/8" (if possible) so it can more easily be shaped. If you don't talk me out of doing it, I'll post pictures this time next month!
Old 07-24-2015, 11:16 PM   #13

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I'm thinking of putting red and white striped reflective tape on my FGRV bumper, available at O'Reilly's Auto Parts stores. Trimbrite T1809 - Reflective Safety Tape | O'Reilly Auto Parts
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:25 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Isn't a large white blob already quite reflective?