Refrigerator Evaporator Fan - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2019, 03:37 PM   #1

Name: Henry
Trailer: Scamp 2017 16-ft SD / FB
Texas
Refrigerator Evaporator Fan

The temp in my Scamp is all over the place. I am thinking about adding a refrigerator evaporator fan. The unit I am looking at attaches to the finned plate inside my Dometic Model RM2410, 3.9 cu ft gas/electric refrigerator.

My question is it worth the money and do the work to level out the unit cooling temp.
Gattopuin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 03:51 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
This is the one I use. It is quiet enough that with the door closed you don't hear it, and it does help distribute the cold. While I currently have a 6 cu ft refrigerator in my 21, I used the same model in my 17 with the Dometic 2510.

I ran the 12V+ line through the cooling fin drain to the 12V supply. The fins are the 12V-.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 04:47 PM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I use a dual fan unit and it works really good in keeping the temperature even in the refer and eliminate cold spots.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:54 AM   #4

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
Here's an article I just came across that might just be what your looking for.
DREAMPOD II FRIDGE FAN
Old 10-30-2019, 01:12 PM   #5

Name: Steven
Trailer: '79 Boler
on Ontario
Registry
This is the link to a posting showing how I added fans to our fridge: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post759268
steve67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 12:42 PM   #6

Name: kenneth
Trailer: x
Georgia
You will also need....

You're halfway there to maximizing the efficiency of your fridge. Unless you have already done so, add an exhaust fan at the top vent of your exterior fridge panels. The more air you can pull out of that box, the better. Like all fridge work, an RV evap unit works the best when not full of it's own heat from the burner / heater element as it circulates thru the lines in back of the fridge.
Get fancy and install a thermostat set at about 90° so the fan doesn't run all the time, only when needed. You can get fancy kits like this guy's vid, or you can re-purpose cooling fans from scrapped computers, buy a preset thermostat and patch it all together if you're more mechanically inclined.
McKannick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 02:36 AM   #7

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
If you go the DIY route, you'll probably want to make sure they're rated against dust intrusion and moisture or they won't last long. Looks like the Titans are probably IP55, which is pretty good, but Coolerguys sells some that are IP67 (quite a bit better).
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 04:43 AM   #8

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
I did the DIY install before our cross country trip and did not have thermostate so it was running 24/7 and as stated it lasted just about a month before it craped out.
I did have a switch installed and did shut it off whole traveling on the road. guess this wasn't enough down time.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:01 AM   #9

Name: Steven
Trailer: '79 Boler
on Ontario
Registry
The cheaper "computer" type fans use bushings to turn on and don't last as long as those which use ball bearings. Just something to consider when buying them.
steve67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator