Refrigerator Exhaust Fan - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #1

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 1981 Trailer
British Columbia
Refrigerator Exhaust Fan

This is probably old news to some of you, but I put a computer fan on the outside of my Bigfoot refrigerator vent to draw out the exhaust and put in an on/off switch. The small computer fan stores in the frig compartment when not in use. Of course the fan is only used when using propane.
Attached Thumbnails
Refrigerator Exhaust Fan 001.jpg   Refrigerator Exhaust Fan 002.jpg  

jimmied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:50 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
The fan can also help when on electric. I moves air across the coils, helping transfer heat from the coolant to the air.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:53 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Jim, the fans work great and yes there have been lots of posts on the topic and different ways of installing the fan each year but I was wondering why you only use it when the fridge is on propane? I have found the fan I installed on mine helps the fridge out a lot when plugged in as well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:28 PM   #4

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 1981 Trailer
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Jim, the fans work great and yes there have been lots of posts on the topic and different ways of installing the fan each year but I was wondering why you only use it when the fridge is on propane? I have found the fan I installed on mine helps the fridge out a lot when plugged in as well.
Carol, I was finding that the heat from the exhaust was a worry to me, so by drawing out the exhaust I can get more exhaust and heat out of the compartment faster.....really used to a stack on the roof in my other rigs.

I will use it when hooked up to shore power, whenever that will be.
jimmied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:43 AM   #5

Name: Ryan
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 16- side bath
Virginia
If you mount it to the inside like the photo below you won't need to install/remove it everytime you go camping. The switch for mine is in the interior on the side of the fridge cabinet.

Before I installed my fan the countertop directly above the "flue" got pretty darn hot to the touch. Afterwards, it's cool as a cucumber.

Additionally I put 2 layers of reflectix above and around my fridge, as well as above the heat generating flue, as space permitted.
Attached Thumbnails
image-391775994.jpg  
Ryan P R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmied View Post
Carol, I was finding that the heat from the exhaust was a worry to me, so by drawing out the exhaust I can get more exhaust and heat out of the compartment faster.....really used to a stack on the roof in my other rigs.
As others mentioned by mounting it on the inside and having it blow across the the back it will help out with cooling regardless of what power you are using to run it. It will also result in the exhaust of the warmer air inside the fridge compartment being blow out as well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:42 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan P R View Post
If you mount it to the inside like the photo below you won't need to install/remove it everytime you go camping. The switch for mine is in the interior on the side of the fridge cabinet.

Before I installed my fan the countertop directly above the "flue" got pretty darn hot to the touch. Afterwards, it's cool as a cucumber.

Additionally I put 2 layers of reflectix above and around my fridge, as well as above the heat generating flue, as space permitted.
I did almost exactly the same thing. I added 1.5" of rigid foam insulation on 3 sides and the exterior fan in the same place, plus a tiny on inside the fridge. Works like crazy.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3715.jpg  

Tags
refrigerator