Refrigerator or Ice Box?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2016, 06:27 PM   #1

Name: Dail
Trailer: 1971 Compact Jr
California
Registry
Refrigerator or Ice Box??

I'm working on my '71 Compact Jr., which originally had an ice box. I was fine with that until I undertook a 2 week seriously off-grid trip to Baja back in 1991, so I put in a 3-way fridge that would run on propane. It was great for that, but once home, I mostly used the trailer for weekends at dog shows (which means no hookups of any kind), and I had lots of issues with the propane pilot staying lit, or even starting it -- spider webs would get in the nozzle and I was constantly cleaning them out. And now I'm looking at either updating the fridge to a newer model or going back to the plain old icebox, which was fine for my weekend trips before the big Baja adventure.

I think what I really want is somebody to convince me that I should spend many $$$ for a fridge rather than many fewer $$ for an icebox and why... At this point, I have to admit, I'm leaning toward icebox, since I don't really anticipate any serious off-grid trips (like the Baja adventure) again. Even if the trips will be longer duration, I should be where I can buy ice.

Thoughts? Opinions?
Dail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 06:34 PM   #2

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
A big disadvantage of ice box is... Ice. It takes too much space.
Old 07-30-2016, 06:47 PM   #3

Name: Katrina
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
British Columbia
When I was in the process of ordering my Scamp 13 in 2008, the ice box was a stock item at that time (don't know if it still is). I didn't think twice and ordered the option for a 3-way fridge. It was the best decision not having to deal with ice and the space it takes up.
KatZam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 06:48 PM   #4

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Since the problem is spiders solve that since it will save you a lot of money versus making a change to the fridge.

Go to the hardware store and purchase a "No pest strip" and put a chunk of it in the compartment area where the fridge is. You will have to change it out for a new chunk every once in a while.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:36 PM   #5

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
I'm leaning your way....

if availabilty of ice is good (where I am block ice is everywhere and cheap..thank you sportfishermen) I'd go for the ice box...especially if you could/will build your own "super-duper" model (easy to do really)...having done that a block will last a week I bet....

if my big honkin' fridge ever blows up that's the route I'll be going....the "super-duper" box will use up half the space....and we could all use more space for other stuff, no?....Why do I need a freezer???

I "lived" for years with an ice box on a boat...which is a lot bigger challenge because of limited reprovisioning options....but in a trailer...all you do is pull into the next supermarket parking lot....it's a snap...if you're "on the road"

JMO of course
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 09:05 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
A big disadvantage of ice box is... Ice. It takes too much space.
Not to mention for some strange reason it is harder and harder to find block ice and depending on what area your camping you may not find any at all.

Depending on how often you camp the price of it add's up over time. Some places charge a lot for them - have paid as much as $5 on the west coast for a block... after 100 nights out camping and replacing the block every 2 days thats $250 that could have gone to a new fridge ;-)

If I was in the market for a new fridge and would go with a 2 way only - electric and propane. I never used the DC on my Scamp due to the high battery power draw.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 09:07 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
[QUOTE=Franswa;600953

....and we could all use more space for other stuff, no?....Why do I need a freezer???

[/QUOTE]

Two words ICE CREAM
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 09:31 PM   #8

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
On the other hand- the ice box doesn't require leveling. And no propane or electric. Newer ones probably keep things much colder. And an even cheaper alternative- get a 7 day cooler for the food, and use the fridge space for storage.

It's true block ice is sometimes hard to find, though, so for longer trips an icebox isn't the best option. I ended up buying a 5-day ice chest so I could bring extra blocks to replace what's in the icebox as needed.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:21 AM   #9

Name: Monte
Trailer: Boler and Scamp Deluxe
California
Registry
Smile Refrigerator or Ice Box??

Hi Dail, I'm in the middle of restoring a Paris Pacer and if I could, let me throw something else out there. I took my ice box and will be adding more storage and will be buying a Yeti cooler. These coolers can keep everything cold for at least 10 days! keep them covered and maybe longer. Just my two cents!

All the best
Monte W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 11:26 AM   #10

Name: Deb
Trailer: Casita SD-17
Chicago, Illinois
Registry
A Fridge can be used as an ice box but an Ice box can not be used as a fridge.
DebCost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 12:04 PM   #11

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
fridge/box.....

using a small fridge (under counter) as an ice box wouldn't work very well...every time you opened the door all the cold air would "fall" out....and then the ice would have to cool a fridge full of warm air again...the ice would be gone in no time...that's why ice boxes (coolers or built-in jobs) are always top loaded....

I have a huge fridge for the size of trailer (still baffles me....marketing to the "DW" I suspect)...the freezer is too large for my use too so I keep three 2L containers of water in there (bottom half of freezer)....if I have to shut the fridge down (ferry travel ?) I can take one or two of those jugs and put them in the fridge (turning it into an ice box)....but I don't open the door at those times

the three jugs also mean I will NEVER completely run out of water
Attached Thumbnails
fridge.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:23 PM   #12

Name: Dail
Trailer: 1971 Compact Jr
California
Registry
Thanks everybody

Thanks everybody for all the thoughts, opinions, ideas, etc. Gives me more to consider as I move forward with this... Good thing I'm not in a hurry to make up my mind
Dail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:35 PM   #13

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
My first three campers had iceboxes , they were just fridges with no workings. Block ice works best and something to contain the water is needed.
They are not as efficient as a fridge and require more care in door opening time and maintenance of ice supply. But you know this because that is what you already had.
Even today with a three-way fridge we still just use frozen bottles of water when on the move , the fridge never runs when on the road.
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 05:08 PM   #14

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
[QUOTE=Carol H;600960]Not to mention for some strange reason it is harder and harder to find block ice and depending on what area your camping you may not find any at all.

Depending on how often you camp the price of it add's up over time. Some places charge a lot for them - have paid as much as $5 on the west coast for a block... after 100 nights out camping and replacing the block every 2 days thats $250 that could have gone to a new fridge ;-)

If I was in the market for a new fridge and would go with a 2 way only - electric and propane. I never used the DC on my Scamp due to the high battery power draw.[/QUOTE

Ice is not the only cost factor if you have to travel 5 or 10 or 20 or 30 miles to purchase ice . That $5 block of ice now cost $10 when you add in the,travel expense. . I figure my refrigerator has paid for itself with the money and time I saved not having to run for ice.
We tried those so called " 5 Day Coolers " and we were lucky if we got 3 days out of a block of Ice.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 05:28 PM   #15

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Cool

You said you go to a lot of dog shows and spiders clog up your propane? Be CAREFUL with those no-pest strips. They WORK--boy, do they work, but they are TOXIC. The advice was to use a small piece? Yes. Small. And keep the rest well-wrapped!

What kind of dogs, if I may ask?

Interesting dilemma. Wishing you a good decision that you enjoy for many trips to come.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:21 PM   #16

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
You said you go to a lot of dog shows and spiders clog up your propane? Be CAREFUL with those no-pest strips. They WORK--boy, do they work, but they are TOXIC. The advice was to use a small piece? Yes. Small. And keep the rest well-wrapped!

What kind of dogs, if I may ask?

Interesting dilemma. Wishing you a good decision that you enjoy for many trips to come.
There will not be a toxic situation for using the small segment of a No Pest Strip as that refrigerator compartment area is vented to the outdoors and will be sealed off from the interior of the trailer because of the burner exhaust requirement.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator