Refurbishing a 1975 13' Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-28-2013, 08:17 AM   #15

Name: Michelle
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Pennsylvania
Once the frame was done, we mounted supports to help hold the shell in place, laid new floorboards, and began fiberglassing the shell and floor back together – one dixie cup at a time. (You can see my father holding the dixie cup of resin. He’s been the brains and workhorse behind most of this.)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1570.jpg   IMG_1566.jpg  

IMG_1573.jpg  

Old 07-28-2013, 08:20 AM   #16

Pennsylvania
Next came the task of finally deciding what to keep and what to rebuild on the interior. We had already decided to build a permanent bed in the back and to replace the couch/bunk with a dinette. We moved the fiberglass cabinets back inside and did some trial runs, testing out the spacing. (I’ve included a picture of my mother and me testing out the dinette seat and table height.)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1575.jpg  

Old 07-28-2013, 08:27 AM   #17

Pennsylvania
Although we didn’t plan to use the old table/bed seats, we put them back in to use as a template for measuring the plyboard for the bed. The concept worked like a charm and the new bed fit on the first try. Once the board was cut to size, we (my dad!) cut an opening in the top and installed a piano hinge so we could open it for storage.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1717.jpg   IMG_1718.jpg  

IMG_1720.jpg   IMG_1867.jpg  

Old 07-28-2013, 08:51 AM   #18

Pennsylvania
After dragging my feet on making the cabinet and fridge decisions, I finally committed to a direction. We purchased a new fridge (NovaKool R3800 to accommodate our aspirations of going solar someday) and decided to reuse the fiberglass cabinets, just replacing the doors and countertop. We are avoiding putting any rivets through the shell so we screwed the cabinets into supports on the floor and then fiberglassed the cabinet to the shell. (Here’s a picture of my dad cutting the new opening for the fridge – I hope it fits…with a long lead time, we couldn’t afford to wait for it to arrive. There’s also a picture of the cabinet fiberglassed to the wall. I expect the edge to be covered, but the exact solution still remains a bit of a mystery to be uncovered. )
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1661.jpg   IMG_1752.jpg  

Old 07-28-2013, 09:05 AM   #19

Pennsylvania
With the bed and cabinets put in place, the next step was to build the dinette seats. I marveled at my father’s creativity in measuring the curves as he cut the pieces. (I didn't get a picture of it as my hands were also helping, but here are a few pictures of the work-in-progress and the finished product.)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1723.jpg   IMG_1820.jpg  

Old 07-28-2013, 09:22 AM   #20

Pennsylvania
I had decided early on to keep the jalousie windows (thanks Donna!) but cleaning them was quite a chore. Although I could remove the scale, I couldn’t get a clean surface no matter what I tried, and I think I tried about everything recommended on this site. I finally decided they were “good enough” so we could keep things moving. They needed to be ready to install as soon as she came out of the garage. Here are a few pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1498.jpg   IMG_1504.jpg  

IMG_1781.jpg  
Old 07-28-2013, 09:38 AM   #21

Pennsylvania
She (our Scamp) had finally matured enough to be ready for her big “coming out” party. She had lived in the sheltered environment of my parents’ garage for months and it was time for her to see broad daylight. Her first adventure was a date with the glass installer to put in the new “Plexiglas” windows. (I had decided after reading about the gyrations required to install them yourself that I didn’t want to put my dad through that torture.) The first picture shows her peeking out of the garage. It was no small feat getting her out since she now stood taller than the garage door opening with her new axle installed. This effort required removing the wheels and rolling her out on platforms. She had to be pushed out the opposite door since my parents’ mammoth RV was sitting directly in front of her garage door. You can see her looking a bit dwarfed in the driveway by the 32’ RV. Not to fear…the last picture shows her standing tall next to her new and proud owner.
Attached Thumbnails
Image.jpg   IMG_1821.jpg  

Image 1.jpg  
Old 07-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #22

Pennsylvania
With the fiberglass patched, and the windows and new fantastic fan in place, the only thing that remained for her to be waterproof was the door. Here’s where we met a bit of a setback following the joy of finally getting her out into the open air. Despite the success of some early measurements, the door did not fit to the opening. After researching this site, we’ve decided to score the bottom of the door and fiberglass it with the proper curve. If anyone has any additional advice, please share. I’m concerned that the hinges are a bit saggy as well. I’ve added some pictures of the gap and our makeshift door handle.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1838.jpg   IMG_1840.jpg  

IMG_1841.jpg   IMG_1868.jpg  

IMG_1871.jpg  
Old 07-28-2013, 10:07 AM   #23

Pennsylvania
Now that my post is caught up with my progress, here’s what remains….
• Fix the door
• Finish the cabinets
• Cover the walls
• Finalize the bed and bedding
• Build the table and make dinette cushions
• Install the floor
• Finish the wiring
Paint the exterior

I’ve even included a picture of my plan, revealing a bit of my geeky side carrying over from my day job.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1864.jpg   IMG_1865.jpg  

Old 07-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #24

Pennsylvania
Besides being anxious to get out on the road (which I’ve considered doing even without a working door, cabinets, interior wiring and a table), I’m really eager to begin decorating as well! Here’s a sneak peek of my colors.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1771.jpg  
Old 07-28-2013, 10:12 AM   #25

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Love the colors, it will make the trailer bright and cherry!

BTW: I'd fix the hinges FIRST before working on the curve of the door.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:33 PM   #26

Name: Mike
Trailer: Trillium
New Hampshire
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AM Moats View Post
Thanks for the welcome. Donna - we are going to take your advice and try to salvage the windows. I haven't had a chance to search yet for hints on how to clean them up. If you have any good advice, please let me know. We've also decided that we need to replace the floorboards which we believe will require taking the shell off the frame. I need to research the best way to do that. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks!
I was able to bring the jalousie windows in my Trillium back to life. They were all stuck and I had to free up the crank mechanism. I love jalousie windows for campers, they are great for rainy days as you can still have the windows wide open. There are places to get new seals for them also. Lot's of info on this site. Sometime you have to dig a little to find it. Good luck!
Old 07-28-2013, 07:53 PM   #27

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
There are several articles of fixing the door. This is only one of many. The internal Google search will show the others.
Either I or someone else will post links after they read your info.
Good Luck
Attached Thumbnails
doorwires.jpg  
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:06 PM   #28

Pennsylvania
Thanks for the advice. My father is headed out in his RV for a few weeks so I have some time to research before we start the door. Mike, I don't see a link on your reply but the picture looks very interesting. Am I missing the link (I'm using the iPad app right now) or did it not come through?

Tags
scamp