Refurbishing a 1975 13' Scamp - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2013, 05:36 AM   #61

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by AM Moats View Post
...... He's going to use some type of padding for insulation and then cover it with a forgiving headliner fabric (Flexform).
"padding" is so non-descript. Just make sure it's not some sort of open-celled foam. Any moisture and it will suck it up like a sponge. THAT'S why lots of these trailers use the reflectix. You not only want the interior to look nice, but you do need the insulation factor offered by reflectix or something similar.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:10 AM   #62

Name: Michelle
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Pennsylvania
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1402225538.562144.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	72098. After a long winter's rest in the shop and a spring paint job, the scamp is finally ready to come home. I'm anxious to finish the interior and get it on the road. First outing is in three weeks.
AM Moats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:05 AM   #63

Name: will
Trailer: 16' Scamp
Wyoming
Looking GREAT!!!!!!!!

Will
Wyowill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:27 AM   #64

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
I missed this thread when you originally started it, but wow!, you're doing a great job on this trailer. Looking really good - love the paint job and the round window in the door!
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:57 AM   #65

Name: Slavomir
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Washington
Wow, looks stunning! We are painting ours orange/white as well when the body is done and seeing yours gets me even more excited!
Slav
Old 06-09-2014, 07:19 PM   #66

Pennsylvania
We finally brought it home today! I thought I'd share a few more pictures. Now, to finish the inside...Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1402363087.967406.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	72161Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1402363105.009832.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	72162Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1402363120.822523.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	72163Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1402363133.771217.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	72164Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1402363150.271417.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	72165
Old 06-09-2014, 09:28 PM   #67

Washington
Turned out stunning! How 'bout some interior pics?
Cheers,
Slav
Old 06-10-2014, 03:55 AM   #68

Pennsylvania
Thanks for the kind replies. I'll post some inside pictures tonight although it's not finished yet. I'm about half way through putting up reflectix and am really questioning how I want to finish it. After getting started, I'm not sure if I have enough skill to put on the interior covering. I found an upholsterer that will finish it with rat fur like fabric although they don't want to use the reflectix -- and I don't really want to use rat fur. I've been scouring the forums for other alternatives but haven't really decided where to head yet. I think I just need to sit inside and daydream a bit. If anyone has recommendations or a link to another post that would be especially helpful, please let me know.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:56 AM   #69

Washington
Quote:
Thanks for the kind replies. I'll post some inside pictures tonight although it's not finished yet. I'm about half way through putting up reflectix and am really questioning how I want to finish it. After getting started, I'm not sure if I have enough skill to put on the interior covering. I found an upholsterer that will finish it with rat fur like fabric although they don't want to use the reflectix -- and I don't really want to use rat fur. I've been scouring the forums for other alternatives but haven't really decided where to head yet. I think I just need to sit inside and daydream a bit. If anyone has recommendations or a link to another post that would be especially helpful, please let me know.
Hi Michelle,

We're going to stick to the reflectix and then will cover it with Hulliner. I got samples of Scamp's "rat fur" and also several Hulliner fabrics and the Hulliner wins. It isn't so "furry", has a bit of texture and has the stretchability to conform to the curves of our outfit. Here is the link to where we got samples from.

If you haven't already, have a look at one of Robert Johans' works here. He used reflectix and Hulliner, and everything else is just really well made also.

Best,
Slav
Old 06-10-2014, 07:03 PM   #70

Pennsylvania
Thanks for the info Slav. Do you have an estimate of how many linear feet would be needed for a 13' scamp? I can calculate it but I thought you might know. Have you seen any headliner fabric that looks more like leather or a quilted type fabric that would be suitable for covering the walls?
Old 06-10-2014, 10:04 PM   #71

Washington
Quote:
Thanks for the info Slav. Do you have an estimate of how many linear feet would be needed for a 13' scamp? I can calculate it but I thought you might know. Have you seen any headliner fabric that looks more like leather or a quilted type fabric that would be suitable for covering the walls?
Hi again! I asked Scamp people how much would be needed for a 13 footer, and they told me right about 25 sq yards. I was going to get about 28 for ours just to have a bit of extra in case of screw-ups.

I have only looked at the rat fur and the samples I got from the place I sent you the link for, but you may be able to do just about anything as long as it has some stretchiness to it for all the curves in the little egg. You may want it to be not too thin because the adhesive will leak thru...that would be my biggest worry. If you find something you like, I'd suggest getting a small sample and trying it out on a scrap of reflectix to see how it does.

I bet you are going to find something fantastic!

Slav
Old 06-11-2014, 08:12 AM   #72

Trailer: Tote N Tarry
Beautiful job Michelle&Co.!! I love the way you updated it all without sacrificing it's original design. A true kudos the the theory of "less is more". And I really like the porthole in the door. You are so fortunate to still have your parents helping you out. Mine are now gone, but I kept all their treasures in tact in their trailer which we now enjoy, so they are never far from our minds. I wish you many happy travels your jewel on wheels. Cheers to you and your creative team, Filbert
Filbert V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:50 PM   #73

Pennsylvania
Thanks Filbert. I am grateful that my parents are still around to share this project with me. It certainly makes this recreation all the more special.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:04 PM   #74

Pennsylvania
I'm bummed to report that the scamp isn't passing the heavy rain test as well as I'd hoped. Some of the issues are just spots that we still need to finalize like sealant at the rain guard over the door and additional door weatherstripping. Others I'm not so sure how to fix. I have a small bit of water coming in around the front and back windows where I have the 'plexiglass' and the rubber zipper seal. I'm also getting water in around the jalousie window frame. I'm hoping it's because we don't have them screwed in with all the screws yet. However, I'm not certain because we did use the butyl tape. If anyone has suggestions for any of these issues, I'd love your input.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:10 PM   #75

Pennsylvania
On a happier note, we did get the cabinet doors back on along with latches for the new drawers so they don't fly open when traveling. (This is the only good picture that I've gotten inside since it's been home. It's either been too crowded inside or too dark to get good pictures.). Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1402542609.325851.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	72279
Old 06-19-2014, 10:31 AM   #76

Pennsylvania
Floor's in! Next up...the walls. After talking to two auto upholsterers, I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to have to do the complete the reflectix and hulliner myself. I'm planning to scour this site to look for hints. However, if you've got some tips to share or a favorite thread that talks about doing that, I'd love your input.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:35 AM   #77

Pennsylvania
Oops. Posted before I was ready....here's a picture of the floor. We used a click laminate. Went down pretty easily, aside from all of the cuts. I think we might put down a shoe moulding too. I just need to get it painted. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1403195621.731393.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	72685Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1403195635.610196.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	72686
Old 06-23-2014, 08:20 PM   #78

Pennsylvania
I just finished installing the reflectix (for the second time). I'm not looking forward to working with the hulliner. However, I'm going to forget about that for a week and get my Scamp on the road! I'm so excited to put everything in it and get it packed for a long weekend of camping. Here are some pictures with the reflectix. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1403576404.628898.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	72861Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1403576417.505334.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	72862

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 06-23-2014, 09:12 PM   #79

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Camp! Make memories... it doesn't need to be perfect.. just perfect for you... EVEN if that means not finished to the very end. Don't delay, you cannot get back time!

Fun times ahead.. and safe travels, always
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:03 AM   #80

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
leaks

Quote:
I'm bummed to report that the scamp isn't passing the heavy rain test as well as I'd hoped. Some of the issues are just spots that we still need to finalize like sealant at the rain guard over the door and additional door weatherstripping. Others I'm not so sure how to fix. I have a small bit of water coming in around the front and back windows where I have the 'plexiglass' and the rubber zipper seal. I'm also getting water in around the jalousie window frame. I'm hoping it's because we don't have them screwed in with all the screws yet. However, I'm not certain because we did use the butyl tape. If anyone has suggestions for any of these issues, I'd love your input.
What is the chance of using that Flex seal that is advertised. I see that Rustoleum has it too and they have a clear version. Perhaps taping off the area and confining the flex spray to a small strip would do the trick. After all it can seal a screen door and you can float your boat with it. I am game to try it on any leaks I have.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp