Refurbishing my 77 Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-16-2012, 11:26 PM   #15

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Robin,
Thanks, the scamp store had snap caps, I have since ordered them but was not going to get the rivets and caps replaced before winter (bought the camper in fall) so I was looking for a quick solution to weatherproof for winter that would be easy to remove later. I actually do not see any sign of snap caps or the washers under any rivet and the rivets seem tight, I wonder if it even had them back then.

Picture of rivets with liquid electrical tape seal and the really thin bead of latex acrylic caulk sealing the window to the body until I can get to remove and re-putty. Also note the WIDE shadow of the old silicon caulk still running down the side of the window. That was after rubbing greeen pot scrubber and with fiberglass polish. Really need to find something to totally remove that before I polish with RedMaxx

Old 04-25-2012, 01:30 PM   #16

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Dirt is one thing but this elephant hide was filthy and sticky! Some of that "tape" is just dirt. Took this to remind me what overlaps what. It's all clean after this week end and I have a dehumidifier running to get it good and dry before retape. Used AWSOME found at $$$ store.
Mine isnt super dirty but it is 32 years old and i want it clean clean clean.

What did you use to clean the elephant hide with, I am considering just amonia and warm water and a soft bristle scrub brush which should clean the hide good then wipe it down with a clean towel.

I would love to hear what worked for you.

all part of the process.

Thanks. . .

Old 04-25-2012, 01:52 PM   #17

Name: Alan
Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13'
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Alan Windows are so on my list, alge don't grow where it's dry, so green on inside around screen spline was my first clue.
How bad was that remove and replace on the window? Do you have to drill out the whole line of rivets around the edge?
Yes, I drilled out all the rivets and the window almost FELL out.

It had been waterproofed with something soft like "Plumber's putty".
I used silicone caulking and riveted the window back in using aluminum rivet rings on the inside. Simple.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #18

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thee Jimbo

What did you use to clean the elephant hide with, I am considering just amonia and warm water and a soft bristle scrub brush which should clean the hide good then wipe it down with a clean towel.

all part of the process.

Thanks. . .
Missed the awesome cleanser part. That is great stuff...
Old 04-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #19

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thee Jimbo View Post

all part of the process.

Thanks. . .
Used a cleaner called "Awsome" from the $ store. Cheap and it works well. L.A. Totally Awesome Cleaner Reviews – Viewpoints.com Used a big soft scrub brush, tooth brush, lots of towels and bucket of rinse water, a little bar keepers friend scrubbing powder. And my least favorite cleaner elbow grease. But it did make a big difference which was fun to see.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:40 PM   #20

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Oohhh no , not silicone !!!!
Old 04-25-2012, 09:06 PM   #21

Michigan
I have a problem. Anyone know how this furnace part comes off? Wonder if I can just cut the butyl tape behind this part and pull it out the side. Trying to get it off so stripe can be re-done Friday but don't want to break the seal until I know I can get it off. "Looks" like it just slips over the next section of chimney so it's just putty and rust holding it on but would appreciate any info from anyone that has been there and done that.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:11 PM   #22

California
Registry
It pulled right off of my 1971 campster. Maybe just gently work it with a plastic putty knife and wiggle a little. Mine came
Out pretty easy ...
Old 04-25-2012, 09:41 PM   #23

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanKilian View Post
Yes, I drilled out all the rivets and the window almost FELL out.

It had been waterproofed with something soft like "Plumber's putty".
I used silicone caulking and riveted the window back in using aluminum rivet rings on the inside. Simple.
What is aluminum "rivet ring"?

That plumbers putty should be butyl putty tape, you can purchase at scamp store, or some hardware stores. Almost every part on the outside is sealed with it. It's stiff enough to rivet against but compresses to seal as you rivet. Pretty decent to work with as long as it's not too cold or hot. Gets stiff or soft depending on temp.

Silicone can be a beast to clean off, soaks into gel coat and leaves a "stain" that won't let anything else stick. Like polish, future caulk, paint, gel coat or fiberglass repairs.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:46 PM   #24

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thee Jimbo View Post
It pulled right off of my 1971 campster. Maybe just gently work it with a plastic putty knife and wiggle a little. Mine came
Out pretty easy ...
Thanks a bunch for the quick reply, that is what I needed to know. Did NOT want to break the seal then find out I was not getting the vent off without more disassembly than I could get done before Fri. morning.

Soooo looking forward to getting all the decals and stipes on so I can scrub and wax with RedMaxx after I wait a few weeks.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:37 PM   #25

Michigan
This was a productive weekend. Got the decals, logo and pin stipes replaced. Great job by Sign Design of Howell Mi.

Replaced the water tank fill that was missing it's top, and the cord port with the broken door. All that crud shown in the picture of the fridge vent is cleaned off since I had that and the furnace vent off for the pin stripe work.

Cleaning out old silicon caulk on belly band and polishing the alum. Silicon caulk on belly band coming off OK But.... Under it are patches of some much harder caulk that I'm having no luck scraping off. I can now see why there was a 1/2 wide silicon bead, it was to cover this old crud up.

I plan to put down a small bead of non-silicon caulk to fill gap between trailer and belly band but need to get the brownish patches of old hard caulk off first or they will show big time.

Any suggestions on caulk softeners?
Old 04-30-2012, 08:33 AM   #26

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Hi Robt
If it's old silicone then there is a product by DAP called "SILICONE BE GONE". Home Depot & Rona carry it here in Canada. Don't know if this product would work if it's not silicone . I sure you'll get some more info on here soon. Good Luck !

Ron
Old 04-30-2012, 05:20 PM   #27

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
RogerDat, here's a recent topic for you! Silicone Remover
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #28

Michigan
Thanks for the link Donna.
Can not find the Dap Silicon be gone, so have tried Motsenbocker's Lift Off with decent results on the silicon but not doing much for the brown stuff under it except where it is really thin. I swear that brown stuff looks like liquid nails, or maybe epoxy. Goof Off adhesive/latex remover did nothing to it. No joy using the heat of a blow dryer either.

Right now I'm wearing it down a little at a time. Steady licks whip the devil as my grandma used to say.

Tags
scamp