rehanging the cabinet doors - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2009, 03:19 PM   #1

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Burro (aka Frankeggstein's Monster)
&We're not happy with the lower cabinets on our burro, they're hinged at the bottom rather than the top. They don't stay closed so the PO rigged up a toggle system for them. We were wondering if you could just attach them from the top like the upper cabinets or if that would cause future problems.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0787.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	20716
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0785.jpg  
Kelly G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Of course you could. But I would think access would be terrible if the doors were hinged at the top -- unless there is something I don't understand.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:44 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

Quote:
I would think access would be terrible if the doors were hinged at the top.
What kind of closure mechanism did the doors have before the Previous Owner cobbled together that "Toggle" system?

It looks to me that the doors might be binding on the edging material around the opening, especially since you show missing screws in one hinge in your 2nd photo. I would shim out the hinges to stop the binding, then address some kind of positive catch in the top of the opening (magnet, pinch clip) that would be hidden when the door is closed.

If the hinges are the "spring loaded" type, they may not have strong enough springs to hold the door closed against that opening edging...
Old 05-22-2009, 06:01 PM   #4

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Burro (aka Frankeggstein's Monster)
Quote:
Of course you could. But I would think access would be terrible if the doors were hinged at the top -- unless there is something I don't understand.
Yeah, I didn't describe that very well. The cabinets for them are no longer square and the doors don't match up to them, leaving large gaps, making it hard to fasten them. They want to pop open so they're rigged with a cord to stay up.
I'm trying to imagine actually getting into them now that you mention accessibility. Glad you said something, I wasn't looking far enough ahead.
Maybe I need to check into better fasteners, the weight & irregularity are just too much for the current magnetic ones.
Kelly G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:14 PM   #5

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Here are a couple ideas for you. First would be to look for boat/rv push-button latches that hold your existing doors closed, or you might add some child safety latches that hook the edge of the door frame when the door is opened.

If I were in your place I'd probably re-frame the existing openings with wood frames that have 5/16" wide by 1/4" deep grooves cut in the top and bottom rails and replace the old doors with Masonite hardboard sliding doors.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote