Reinforcement of Compact Jr frame (photos) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2016, 04:20 PM   #1

Name: Talia
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr.
USA
Reinforcement of Compact Jr frame (photos)

Posting photos of the work I had done to repair and reinforce the frame of my '72 Compact Jr. When I wanted to get work done on it, I couldn't find any photos at all of what others had done to fix their frame and make the front stronger, so I'm posting mine. Hopefully this will help someone else in the future.

The first photo shows the frame after I pulled it from under the body, before taking it to the repair shop. The crossbar at the curved portion of the frame is not attached to the frame at all, but was merely hanging from its bolts in the plywood floor. The passenger side outriggers on either side of the wheel were completely missing.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Frame before repair.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	358.9 KB
ID:	99933

The second photo shows the frame at the welding shop, when I went to pick it up. The gray portions are the repairs and additions that were made. I had them add a central spine, replace the broken crossmember, add an extra crossmember, and replace the two missing outriggers.Click image for larger version

Name:	Frame at welding shop.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	404.6 KB
ID:	99934

The final photo is after getting it home, wire brushing it, and giving it a coat of primer.Click image for larger version

Name:	Frame repaired and primed.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	407.4 KB
ID:	99935

The shop billed me for three hours of work, and a minimal amount of materials. Ended up just under $250 out the door, and I'm happy with the quality of work done.
Talia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 04:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Very nice work that should keep your Compact Jr on the road for another 44 years. Our Compact Jr has had the frame reinforced but it was done by a previous owner. The tongue has been altered so the coupler is much higher. The reinforcement beams run back to the spring attachments.

Altered Tongue, 5 Lb Propane, Spare Added Photo by tomNjo | Photobucket
Old 09-20-2016, 04:47 PM   #3

Name: Talia
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr.
USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Trostel View Post
Very nice work that should keep your Compact Jr on the road for another 44 years. Our Compact Jr has had the frame reinforced but it was done by a previous owner. The tongue has been altered so the coupler is much higher. The reinforcement beams run back to the spring attachments.

Altered Tongue, 5 Lb Propane, Spare Added Photo by tomNjo | Photobucket
Nice alteration on yours! I tow mine with a very low car, so I chose not to alter the hitch height.
Talia is offline   Reply With Quote