Reinstalling a Duotherm 65512 on a Trillium 4500 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-04-2011, 10:00 PM   #1

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 4500 1977
Quebec
Registry
Reinstalling a Duotherm 65512 on a Trillium 4500

Hi,
I've bought in July a Trillium 65512 with a Duotherm 65512 heater that had been removed because the previous owner used the space for extra storage and preferred to use an electric heater. I prefer camping in national parks and in places and times where a heater is a necessity but electric power is usually not available.

I tought it was worth to try reinstalling the furnance. I soon found out the original gas line had been cut. So I installed a T under the floor and routed a new line along the outer edge of the frame all the way behind the right hand wheel. I installed a valve at the end, so I can cut the gas only on the heater in case of emergency or maintenance (considering the heater is 34 years old, I figure I may need to cut out gas on this line one day while maintaining fridge and stove top operation).

I drilled a hole on the lowest point of the floor just next to the electric transformer and connected the new line (shaped to the final position) on the back of the heater and pushed it in position. The tricky part is really to turn the connector on the back instead of the side of the unit, so that the gas line does not have to be connected when the unit is already installed, by some elusive tool or trick I can't figure out, There is hardly any room to play with tools around the heater once inserted. Once connection seal tested OK with soapy water, I reinstalled the exterior exhaust/intake module and voilą ! It is working like a charm.

There are now a few small catalytic units available, which would only require a small fraction of the space and use much less gas and hardly any installation effort, but I just could not justify the few hundred dollars extra for as long as the old Duotherm furnace worked so well, with the benefit of thermostat, silent operation and no need for a fan or any electric installation whatsoever.

I was very pleased to find a detailed intruction booklet applicable to my furnace on this site, thanks.

Martin

Old 09-05-2011, 10:59 AM   #2

Name: Randy
Trailer: (4) Trillium 4500, (4) Trillium 1300, (1) Scamp,(1) Burro 16'
Ardmore, Alabama
Did the previous owner still have the furnace or did you have to buy it..If you bought it where did you find it, I'm looking for one now and can't seam to locate one....THANKS RANDY

Old 09-05-2011, 04:10 PM   #3

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 4500 1977
Quebec
Registry
As I explained, I came with the RV but had been uninstalled by the previous owner. If you are looking for something equivalent, keep in mind parts may be impossible to find for such vintage equipment. I'm actually amazed to have found one working so well. You may be in the right time to negociate a good price on a small catalytic model, which uses much less space and gas.

Good luck !
Old 09-05-2011, 04:42 PM   #4

Name: Randy
Trailer: (4) Trillium 4500, (4) Trillium 1300, (1) Scamp,(1) Burro 16'
Ardmore, Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamimartin View Post
As I explained, I came with the RV but had been uninstalled by the previous owner. If you are looking for something equivalent, keep in mind parts may be impossible to find for such vintage equipment. I'm actually amazed to have found one working so well. You may be in the right time to negociate a good price on a small catalytic model, which uses much less space and gas.

Good luck !

I figured it did, i've got 2 Trilliums that need the furnace put back in them the other 4 I've got has them already and they all work great, didn't really want to put something different in there if anyway possible..The little Wave3 catalytic heater would do the job but wouldn't fill the space..Thanks anyway RANDY

Tags
trillium