Remodeling the Kitchen - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2005, 12:31 AM   #1

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Jackie
This is the original kitchen. Note the water 'tank' under the sink - a 1 gallon plastic jug, full of . The sink had a hand-pump...don't know if it worked, never tried it. Since I was going to do things differently, I just removed it. The cabinets were grungy, yellowed, and had icky-stickies stuck all over them. The pressed wood doors were warped and sagging. I took it all out to clean it up, remove the liner, and put in the new liner. I also added a new window in the trailer, over the stove area, and added a city water connection by the wheel well (there wasn't one before).
Attached Thumbnails
orig.k_lower.jpg   orig.k_upper.jpg  

gutted.k.jpg  
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 12:38 AM   #2

The inside of the cabinets was covered with a contact paper, I assume to seal off the rough fiberglass (green area). It was sticky, greasy, and falling off, so I just peeled it all off. The green was rather dark, so I spray painted the inside of the cabinets with white acrylic paint, to lighten it up, and painted the outside of the cabinets with a spray enamel.
Attached Thumbnails
contact.paper.jpg   paint.upper.jpg  

Old 12-10-2005, 12:43 AM   #3

After putting in the new liner, I painted the wheel well and re-installed the cabinet. I put in a new water faucet, one handled, non-mixing as I have no hot water heater attached, and hooked it up to the city water connection.

At this point, I had not put up the last panel of insulation/liner above the sink as I had 12v wiring to complete before gluing over it.

The 'pole' is the acorn nut holder I fashioned from instructions given by Joy A. There is no way I could have done this project, alone, without that aid! Thanks, Joy!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
re_installing.kitchen.jpg  
Old 12-10-2005, 12:51 AM   #4

I re-installed the upper cabinets, adding new 12v LED lights at both ends. I painted the heat shield that goes over the stove with high-heat spray paint. I also added a toaster oven rather than a microwave. The oven rides under the cabinet when not in use, to give full access to the sink. I like to bake, and find it very civilized to have tea and fresh cinnamon biscuits in the afternoon .
Attached Thumbnails
add.LED.jpg   toaster.oven.jpg  

Old 12-10-2005, 01:07 AM   #5

I put in a new stove (on a BH thread, I had re-painted the old, orange stove a nice raspberry color....unfortunately, I did not check out the stove itself, and it was not functioning properly--flames!!! One of those expensive lessons...).

I added an additional electrical outlet to the bed end of the cabinet, and wire shelves underneath to hold 'stuff'. I zip-tied the shelf over the wheel well, using holes left over from the dinette seats (I am not replacing them). I used a broom clip on the other end, set sideways to hold the shelf. I will try that out for a while, using my Coleman electric cooler rather than a frig. I do still have the 2-way frig, but it was not working properly. I have not decided about putting in a three-way and cutting more holes....
Attached Thumbnails
new.stove.jpg   wire.shelf.jpg  

Old 12-10-2005, 08:13 AM   #6

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">Go for it! Looking good, Jackie.</span>
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 09:49 AM   #7

Trailer: 2007 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Amazing makeover. Fresh and clean. It looks like a happy kitchen.
Gary Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 07:46 PM   #8

Trailer: 2003 Casita Liberty Deluxe
Nice job, Jackie. What a big change!

Chris
Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 10:27 PM   #9

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
That took lots of hard work and time. Looks great!

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 10:30 AM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Wow! popping change Jackie. It definitely looks like all your hard work is paying off
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 10:43 AM   #11

Trailer: 1992 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Fantastic job, Jackie! I love the step-by-step photos and dialog. It makes it so anyone could follow your steps and renovate their own kitchen. What a change it made!!

Nancy
Nancy in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 05:24 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Jackie, I think our trailers were separated at birth.

Your work looks wonderful! Isn't it great to have things nice and clean? Nice window.
Old 01-01-2006, 02:34 PM   #13

Trailer: Boler
Send a message via ICQ to Jollean Send a message via MSN to Jollean
Hi Jackie,
Looks impressive. Have a quick question. Did you repaint the counter framing and cupboard framing? If so what did you use?

Thanks,

Jollean
Jollean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 04:46 PM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
looks great !!! i need to put up new cab doors what thickness wood are you useing to make the doors out of...
Dan Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 05:29 PM   #15

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Hi, like where the microwave is located ...may hang mine over the sink also....just hope that the upper cupboard can support it....having the cupboard support next to the mic helps I suppose....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 08:53 PM   #16

Actually, Benny, that is a toaster oven. It has a heat shield to keep it from scorching the cabinet, and can be taken down and placed uner the sink when not in use, so I have full acess to the sink, and espceially when traveling. I opted for a toaster oven rather than a microwave, to fit my lifestyle and preferences. I imagine that if you put some extra wood slats to disperse the weight in the upper cabinet, it may be OK to place a microwave there...anyone done this?
Old 01-02-2006, 09:12 PM   #17

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Quote:
Actually, Benny, that is a toaster oven.
Hi again, should`ve looked closer the first time around ....right, toaster oven...sorry bout that....but I may try to hang the microwave up there with the wrought iron bracket to help support the one end and possibly a bracket inside the cupboard with a couple 1/4" SS bolts thru the roof the help the cupboards support the other end....should work ok and just have to remove the glass plate that`s inside.....we`ll see if it`s practical first......we now carry a small mic on the floor when on the road with the 17' Boler but may do a permanent install on the 13 footer.....Have a Good New Year....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote